Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I should preface my comments by saying I don't do knee jerk reactions and am definitely in the 'licker' rather than 'bedwetter' camp.

It's clearly very early days but I do already have serious concerns about Ryan.

Before he signed there were reports that he was a good shot stopper and a skilful distributor, but some observors said he made too many simple errors. To date, that is precisely what he has shown.

For the Atleti error, to my mind he was already thinking about how to spring an attack before he caught the ball and that was the reason for the howler.

Today, I've only seen the game live and had no sight of replays, but for the first goal, he simply has to get behind that shot and hang on to it. For the 2nd, I was dead in line with the goal line so had a perfect view of the flight of the corner. It was a straightforward delivery, no spin or swerve, and was 4 yards out from goal. Now Duffy was bullied by the goalscorer and clearly lost the header. But, at 4 yards out, you need your goalie to come and deal with those, or every PL team analyst and manager will be plotting to swing set plays in that close.

My other concern, as one or two have mentioned, is Maty's body language and confidence.

To my mind, Maeenpaa has had little opportunity and done nothing wrong. He is clearly a decent athlete and big unit. I wouldn't have a problem with him getting a chance in the League as well as the cups.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I'll refer you to my later post. Ryan wouldn't be in the position of making mistakes if our midfield would step up and do their bloody job.

I would also point out that very few of our team have covered themselves in glory so far this season, so to pick on our goalie is a little unfair.

Unless of course I missed the threads on Stephens discuss, Propper discuss, Murray discuss, etc etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To put it another way. It's unfair to blame Ryan for anything but the soft Dunk own goal. Why? Because our midfield should be stronger and better on the ball. We, and Ryan, are in for a f**king long season if Stephens and Propper don't start earning their wages.

But Stephens and Propper's job is so hard at the moment, because their opposite numbers know they don't have to do any defending.
Assuming the Albion can get a player or 2 that'll have the opposition midfield thinking about their own goal as well as ours, Double D will have a tiny bit more time with the ball.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
The thing here is that some of us, perhaps many of us can't quite understand why we signed a GK for £5m, who currently appears not up to task having allowed DS to leave apparently because we did not offer him a contract long enough for him to see through his offspring's senior education.
Thereafter we have ignored NM who is an international GK and who has NEVER, as far as I can see, let us down on any occasion he has been asked to start for the Albion.
Perhaps even more significantly, we have in Christian Walton, a young GK who has represented and currently represents our country at international level. Can anyone please tell me just how long it is anticipated that we will continue his development ?
The situation is beyond my understanding !

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I should preface my comments by saying I don't do knee jerk reactions and am definitely in the 'licker' rather than 'bedwetter' camp.

It's clearly very early days but I do already have serious concerns about Ryan.

Before he signed there were reports that he was a good shot stopper and a skilful distributor, but some observors said he made too many simple errors. To date, that is precisely what he has shown.

For the Atleti error, to my mind he was already thinking about how to spring an attack before he caught the ball and that was the reason for the howler.

Today, I've only seen the game live and had no sight of replays, but for the first goal, he simply has to get behind that shot and hang on to it. For the 2nd, I was dead in line with the goal line so had a perfect view of the flight of the corner. It was a straightforward delivery, no spin or swerve, and was 4 yards out from goal. Now Duffy was bullied by the goalscorer and clearly lost the header. But, at 4 yards out, you need your goalie to come and deal with those, or every PL team analyst and manager will be plotting to swing set plays in that close.

My other concern, as one or two have mentioned, is Maty's body language and confidence.

To my mind, Maeenpaa has had little opportunity and done nothing wrong. He is clearly a decent athlete and big unit. I wouldn't have a problem with him getting a chance in the League as well as the cups.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

100% this. I rarely work in absolutes but Ryan looks statuesque and more worrying is Duffy / Dunk reaction to him. Something needs to change quick.

The other new signings haven't set the world on fire but there is enough there to think they will get better. Ryan looks shot of confidence already.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The guys way out of his depth. You got to hand it to him he's blagged a place in a premier league team and probably gets paid well over a million quid a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When the contract non-negotiations with Stockdale were (not) ongoing, I did wonder if we were seeing a repeat of the Murray situation:

A decent incumbent is seen as being expendable at a higher level with a (relatively) expensive replacement brought in, supposedly being a step-up in class.

I do hope that Maty Ryan doesn't turn out to be our next CMS.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
I'm really worried from what I have seen. I appreciate that every GK makes mistakes and these can cost goals, but this season especially we need a confident GK that is commanding and has a great relationship with the defence. Stockdale had this so I don't know why we didn't secure him for this season with whatever he wanted. It's going to take a fair while for Dunk, Duffy etc to have the same relationship and trust in Ryan and I hope when/if they do it's not too late.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I didnt go but could you tell me how our midfield contributed to the first goal, which is the bone of contention this evening?

Murphy made a poor decision when we were attacking (10% blame for me), consequently all the midfield were out of position, as they broke. Mahrez ran 40 yds untouched, Suttner made the most pathetic attempt imaginable to stop him(50% blame) and Ryan although making a save parried to onrushing forward (40%). All IMO of course.

Ryan taking stick, but Suttner, I mean feck me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The thing here is that some of us, perhaps many of us can't quite understand why we signed a GK for £5m, who currently appears not up to task having allowed DS to leave apparently because we did not offer him a contract long enough for him to see through his offspring's senior education.
Thereafter we have ignored NM who is an international GK and who has NEVER, as far as I can see, let us down on any occasion he has been asked to start for the Albion.
Perhaps even more significantly, we have in Christian Walton, a young GK who has represented and currently represents our country at international level. Can anyone please tell me just how long it is anticipated that we will continue his development ?
The situation is beyond my understanding !

This is a good post and bears repeating.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Feck me, after that toothless performance we're blaming the goalie again?

I think we should be more concerned at the lack of a real chance carved out in 180+mins other than a fortuitous bounce to Duffy from splayed shot.

But don't let that distract you from a good witch hunt. Carry on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He is about as crap as everyone said Stockdale was when he first arrived

RaphaelMeade

Aug 30, 2011
Anyone who saw Ryan's warm-up at Crawley, pre-season, would have had concerns over his handling.

Not seen anything subsequent to believe this was a one off.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He catches crosses ok it is his handling of shots that is suspect as he pushes the ball back into the danger area too often.

Wrong. he doesn't come for crosses like the second goal. Any scout for opposition teams will highlight this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here