Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I watched all his Confederations Cup games and on balance wasn't impressed. Distribution was rushed, seemed keen to come out rashly, bad tendency to parry when he could catch.
I saw the 2nd half of Atletico on a stream and seem to remember he did quite well there.
At the Man City game - one great save, probably should have held Dunk's mess up, distribution not great. By no means a bad performance.
Watched a stream today and I think he could have done better for both goals. A bit of a worry that he can't seem to hold onto shots and didn't command his box too well.

Having said all that I was distinctly unimpressed by Stockdale for a good portion of that 1st season. By the time he left I loved him and was sad to see him go.

In summary, we have to give Ryan time. It's early days in the deep end in a team that has a lot of gelling to do and are on a very steep learning curve. None of the new signings have looked good so far. Let's give them all a chance and not get on their backs. They need us to get behind them more than ever now.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not really working out, is it? How long do you give him? Can't afford for him to carry on as he is at the moment, can we? He might be a good a shot-stopper but he hardly inspires confidence, does he? Quite small for a keeper too.

Didn't the same get said about Stockers early doors? I wasn't over enamoured about the hand out for the first goal and yes I am kind of taking deep breaths when he's on the ball, but he's two games in. Of all our new signings I am more confident about him than any of the others.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I think Maenpaa deserves a fair crack of the whip. As much out of a testament of his patience and loyalty as to perceived deficiencies with Ryan.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Only seen first goal. Several players only a few feet in front of him made it impossible to hold. No blame from me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Three bad mistakes in three games indicates he is nervous as he'll, which is not ideal for a keeper.

Personally, I think it is a crying shame we have this problem while Stockdale is wasting his time with Brum.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
To be fair to Maty, Stockdale was shithouse when he first started too and turned out ok. Perhaps he just needs a bit more time to acclimatise.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Three bad mistakes in three games indicates he is nervous as he'll, which is not ideal for a keeper.

Personally, I think it is a crying shame we have this problem while Stockdale is wasting his time with Brum.

Too late to cry over spilt milk but he hasnt impressed at Brum but of course he has gone so we need to get used to the idea.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I watched all his Confederations Cup games and on balance wasn't impressed. Distribution was rushed, seemed keen to come out rashly, bad tendency to parry when he could catch.
I saw the 2nd half of Atletico on a stream and seem to remember he did quite well there.
At the Man City game - one great save, probably should have held Dunk's mess up, distribution not great. By no means a bad performance.
Watched a stream today and I think he could have done better for both goals. A bit of a worry that he can't seem to hold onto shots and didn't command his box too well.

Having said all that I was distinctly unimpressed by Stockdale for a good portion of that 1st season. By the time he left I loved him and was sad to see him go.

In summary, we have to give Ryan time. It's early days in the deep end in a team that has a lot of gelling to do and are on a very steep learning curve. None of the new signings have looked good so far. Let's give them all a chance and not get on their backs. They need us to get behind them more than ever now.

Good post.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Scapegoat, scapegoat, he's a scapegoat.

Guess Ryan can join the Hemed-Skalak-Bong knife target crew.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
There was hardly anything between the two sides today, neither created much.

The difference? Ryan throwing one in after a minute then flapping at a ball at a key moment.

Should have been a point today.

Nah, Leicester were clearly the better side and were very comfortable. Ryan wasn't the reason we lost today (although he didn't help!)

We need to improve all over the pitch and be more assertive with our play. I'm confident we will.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Stockdale was awful in his first season, he lost weight and looked a lot better player the next two seasons (also he played behind a much better team). Not really a great comparison for Ryan.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
From the defender's viewpoint if they see another blunder from Ryan it could begin to do lasting damage. They can't have any confidence in this guy. He has to have a rock solid next match, and the one after that. Getting a win on the board and a striker or two on the field will also help.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I've seen him play one game for Australia and three games for us and he made a goal conceding f#ck up in every one. Apart from that, I'm very happy with him.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It's a team game that is very much cause and effect. If Suttner had done better then maybe Mahrez doesn't get the shot away for Ryan to parry and so on. Maybe he should have done better but then again so should the rest of the team :shrug:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Scapegoat, scapegoat, he's a scapegoat.

Guess Ryan can join the Hemed-Skalak-Bong knife target crew.

He's not really a scapegoat. We can only judge on what we've seen and so far, he's a bit sh1t.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here