Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One last :bounce:

Clearly next season 'discuss' :bounce: will be Locadia and I for one can't wait.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Aussie goalkeeper, Mark Schwarzer suggesting Ryan for Arsenal, as picked up by an Arsenal 'fanzine'.

“I can see an Arsenal (as a suitor),” he told Optus Sports (via News). “It depends on who becomes manager. The word on the ground is (Mikel) Arteta is well in the mix.

“If he were to take over at Arsenal (with passing, attacking football). If that were the case, Maty would suit that down to the ground.”

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Aussie goalkeeper, Mark Schwarzer suggesting Ryan for Arsenal, as picked up by an Arsenal 'fanzine'.

“I can see an Arsenal (as a suitor),” he told Optus Sports (via News). “It depends on who becomes manager. The word on the ground is (Mikel) Arteta is well in the mix.

“If he were to take over at Arsenal (with passing, attacking football). If that were the case, Maty would suit that down to the ground.”

Well, I for one have gone from "drive him there myself" to "that'll be £100 million please" and I'm all the happier for it.

Maty's game has improved from week to week and hopefully he'll have a good World Cup on the back of it (not if we somehow end up playing Oz though). However, this is largely because of the amount of action he gets. He's going to get bored stupid at Arsenal, standing mostly still and then picking the ball out of the net as they allow another one on one or make a set piece howler.

Talk of Ryan transfer - however spurious - does make me think of what we're going to do with Walton. Just had a fantastic season, albeit at League One level. A season as number two isn't going to improve him. Unless we're thinking he'll be a starter in the next couple of seasons I'd say it's more likely we'll cash in on him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, I for one have gone from "drive him there myself" to "that'll be £100 million please" and I'm all the happier for it.

Maty's game has improved from week to week and hopefully he'll have a good World Cup on the back of it (not if we somehow end up playing Oz though). However, this is largely because of the amount of action he gets. He's going to get bored stupid at Arsenal, standing mostly still and then picking the ball out of the net as they allow another one on one or make a set piece howler.

Talk of Ryan transfer - however spurious - does make me think of what we're going to do with Walton. Just had a fantastic season, albeit at League One level. A season as number two isn't going to improve him. Unless we're thinking he'll be a starter in the next couple of seasons I'd say it's more likely we'll cash in on him.

Championship loan next season, then he comes back as Ryan potentially leaves possibly?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Championship loan next season, then he comes back as Ryan potentially leaves possibly?

Probably a good shout, though right now I'd be gutted if Ryan took his Orange-clad pitch length dashes elsewhere. I do think we're alright for keepers though. In a small window, due to the World Cup and the window shutting as the season starts, I'd like to see us stick where we're strong and replace the leavers with upgrades.

Never know with us though :lolol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Probably a good shout, though right now I'd be gutted if Ryan took his Orange-clad pitch length dashes elsewhere. I do think we're alright for keepers though. In a small window, due to the World Cup and the window shutting as the season starts, I'd like to see us stick where we're strong and replace the leavers with upgrades.

Never know with us though :lolol:

Brilliant Terminology

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Just as an aside from those...i can't remember many home games when he didn't come back out of the players tunnel and spend time with fans signing autographs etc

I am not at all games, so I don't always see that side to him but he is gaining on confidence and I think he will only get better. It would have been easy to drop him following his early mistakes. They haven't been eradicated but they have certainly lessened and I think he will go into next season with a confidence he didn't begin with at the start of this season

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford

Rather ironic given that Schwarzer raised his doubts that Ryan could be successful in the Premier League when we signed him...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Walton's situation must be complicated by being a Home grown player. Given Sidwell and Liam have gone we are 2 down already and the market for those players is overpriced, one we typically try to avoid spending in. Its better for all if he spent a season playing for say Wigan in the Championship but I wonder if he will end up on the bench if we are short in the HGP area.

For the record, I also thought Ryan was hopeless after Leicester away. Since then he has largely been fantastic. Better that, than winning the Internet.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I can remember only one mistake he made with his feet all season, and even then it was just a loose touch and was able to kick it into touch. Likewise after Man City (harsh) and Leicester, he made no significant errors in general.

He really is a fantastic keeper with an amazing attitude and I hope we hang onto him for a long time to come.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can't see Maty leaving for a while after his bad experience at Valencia, and how he seems to be loving it here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now this is what a :jester: looks like, you :jester:s. :lol:

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
More love for our wonder stop-making, long pass spraying, pitch-length dash and bundle celebrating, high ball claiming, penalty saving, two hours after kick-off autographs in the East Stand signing, palace hating Socceroo Maty Ryan. This video really shows how well he's performed and how much he's contributed. Best signing of last season (After Pascal, obviously!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptpIFxArabY&t=12s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here