Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Socceroos goalkeeper Mat Ryan on a high as he heads to Honduras

London: Mat Ryan hailed Brighton's journey into the top half of the Premier League as he prepared to embark on his own marathon round-the-world trip.

The Australia goalkeeper kept a fourth clean sheet of the season as Glenn Murray's winner at Swansea gave Brighton successive top-flight away wins for the first time since 1983 and plunged the Welsh club into the relegation zone.

It was the perfect boost for Ryan ahead of a World Cup play-off with Honduras which will determine whether the Socceroos will be at next summer's finals in Russia.

"I've got two massive games now and we'll be doing everything as a nation to get there," Ryan said.

"I leave for Honduras now and after the game continue that way to Sydney for the second leg.

"I'm coming back to London through Dubai so I'm literally going around the world, but I'm not complaining by any means.

"It's part of being an Australian footballer and I wouldn't change anything to go and represent my country.

"The pinnacle of being a footballer is playing in the Premier League and getting the chance to go to a World Cup, so I'll focus on recovery now and getting to Honduras in the best shape I can."

Ryan, in truth, was not overly-exerted at the Liberty Stadium as Swansea spluttered in front of goal once again.

Premier League new boys Brighton had a late scare when Swansea substitute Luciano Narsingh struck the crossbar in stoppage time.

But it was another solid defensive performance from Chris Hughton's Seagulls, who have now lost only once in six games.

"The confidence is high and I've always felt in my experience that when things are going well you just let your instincts take over," said Ryan, a summer signing from Valencia.

"I'm in a bit of rhythm with the guys and everyone is similar. We've had that adaptation phase with players coming in and getting used to the league.

"The improvements are there to be seen and we're just growing and growing."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socc...-as-he-heads-to-honduras-20171105-gzfdsf.html

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wasn’t convinced when we first signed him, I thought we had let a better goalkeeper go on a free and spent £5m unnecessarily.

I’ve changed my mind. He’s great and has been a positive factor in our decent start to life in the PL.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I wasn’t convinced when we first signed him, I thought we had let a better goalkeeper go on a free and spent £5m unnecessarily.

I’ve changed my mind. He’s great and has been a positive factor in our decent start to life in the PL.

Pretty much this. He had a ropey start where he more or less looked like an outfielder in goal but since West Brom he's grown into the team and division. He's making key saves but more importantly he's controlling his box. I'm now very happy to have him in the team. I almost want Australia to qualify for the world cup now...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always worth a :bounce: if you need cheering up.

[tweet]934450804630712321[/tweet]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Better than Stockdale and I was worried that wouldn’t be the case whilst he was settling in. I love his agility.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ryan is rubbish though, weird scouting for that one.

A waste of 5m. Goalkeepers need to be a big unit. End of.

To be fair to Ryan all the new signings look shit :blush:

Absolutely joke of a signing. I've said this from day one. Keepers need to be well over 6 foot. What were the recruitment team thinking ?

This will go down as one of the biggest f.u.c.k. ups in our history due to it being our record signing at the time. The sooner he is dropped the better.

Quiet Sunday morning - some of my favourites from the first few pages :lolol:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
To really compete with Stockdale, he and his back four need to beef up their post save congratulations. After this incident there were merely some hand and back slaps - where's the bruising bodychecks we were getting used to?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
To really compete with Stockdale, he and his back four need to beef up their post save congratulations. After this incident there were merely some hand and back slaps - where's the bruising bodychecks we were getting used to?

Stockdale was a unit. If Duffy trains into Ryan I'd fear for him. Best keep it to hair ruffles.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Quiet Sunday morning - some of my favourites from the first few pages :lolol:

:clap2: He started dodgy but most have the ability to reserve judgement. I love it when outspoken bold posters get outed - one of the biggest mistake in our history ffs! :lol:

I will maintain Stockdale would have done well in the prem though. His distribution was the best I’ve seen from a keeper and his shot stopping was class.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:clap2: He started dodgy but most have the ability to reserve judgement. I love it when outspoken bold posters get outed - one of the biggest mistake in our history ffs! :lol:

I will maintain Stockdale would have done well in the prem though. His distribution was the best I’ve seen from a keeper and his shot stopping was class.

I'm surprised Ryan even played.

I bet there not. Prediction.....he won't be between the sticks, come the end of October. Let alone March.
Although putting Solly in goal would be brave.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone still think he's not good enough? I mean when that Barnes isn't good enough for league one thread started, every time he had a good game someone bumped that thread, there were still people around arguing he got lucky, or that old 'one swallow...' chestnut (after each of his 20 goals). Bumping that Barnes thread showed there were people who still didn't rate him. Does that happen with this thread? Surely bumping this thread is just pissing in the wind? Or has the continued criticisms of Ryan completely passed me by?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does anyone still think he's not good enough? I mean when that Barnes isn't good enough for league one thread started, every time he had a good game someone bumped that thread, there were still people around arguing he got lucky, or that old 'one swallow...' chestnut (after each of his 20 goals). Bumping that Barnes thread showed there were people who still didn't rate him. Does that happen with this thread? Surely bumping this thread is just pissing in the wind? Or has the continued criticisms of Ryan completely passed me by?

TBH I only :bounce:d it just for the humour, after what ended up being a disappointing weekend.

What does seem to be missing are the posters owning their wrongness, I assume they are waiting for a clanger to be dropped so they can saddle up once more.

One particular highlight is a rarely wrong poster pinning Ryan not actually being as shite as he said, solely on Roberts' coaching.
Still it's better than being wrong.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Stocko was good, but his decision making was suspect......

Distribution was still the best I've seen in the top two divisions in recent years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here