Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do agree with all the above.

He dropped some absolute clangers in the warm up though. Ben Roberts had to walk him off with his arm round him giving him a pep talk. Not exactly what you want to see 15 minutes before kick off - but as you say, really solid and comfortable when it mattered.

Why does it matter what he does in the warm up?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Why does it matter what he does in the warm up?

Before the game started, I didn't know he was going to play well and keep a clean sheet.

And when you suspect a guys down on confidence, it's not great to see him kicking the post in frustration in the warm up and the coach having to walk him to the dressing room giving him a cuddle.

But as you say, all's well that ends well.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Had little to do but what he did do he did well. It's got to be good for his confidence keeping a clean sheet and having an error free game. Hopefully it will kick start his season and he'll go from strength to strength.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I like Ryan but I do think we made a huge mistake letting Stockdale go. He was one of the gang and we seemed to be squabbling over an extra year on his contract? Probably more to it, but that's how it came across...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He came for a couple of high balls today which was a huge improvement, caught them too.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I like Ryan but I do think we made a huge mistake letting Stockdale go. He was one of the gang and we seemed to be squabbling over an extra year on his contract? Probably more to it, but that's how it came across...

Got to look at the bigger picture.

Even if it was just over 1 year, the club caving in sets a bad president. Next up is Bruno, who wants a playing contract until he's 40, the club say no and it's a case of "Well you gave Stockdale X years when he asked for them." It's a slippery slope.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Got to look at the bigger picture.

Even if it was just over 1 year, the club caving in sets a bad president. Next up is Bruno, who wants a playing contract until he's 40, the club say no and it's a case of "Well you gave Stockdale X years when he asked for them." It's a slippery slope.

An extra year on Stockdale was a non brainer! Rather than risk it on a 5 ft keeper for around £5mil?

Sorry, it just makes non sense to me! No disrespect to Ryan, he has made some world class saves, but had far more faith in Stockdale overall.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
An extra year on Stockdale was a non brainer! Rather than risk it on a 5 ft keeper for around £5mil?

Sorry, it just makes non sense to me! No disprecpect for Ryan, he has made some world class saves, but had far more faith in Stockdale overall.

Where are you getting this 5 ft nonsense from? He's just over 6 foot, and a whole (count them) 2 cm shorter than Kasper Schmeichel.

Also, for what it's worth, Stocko has let in as many goals in the last 3 games in the Championship as Ryan, including 2 against Burton.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Where are you getting this 5 ft nonsense from? He's just over 6 foot, and a whole (count them) 2 cm shorter than Kasper Schmeichel.

Also, for what it's worth, Stocko has let in as many goals in the last 3 games in the Championship as Ryan, including 2 against Burton.

I was just playing about the 5 ft thing, but he does come across as a lot shorter than Stockers in a lot of his saves (or non saves)

My point isn't that Ryan is a bad keeper, I just feel we should have done more to keep Stockdale.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Is he able to touch the crossbar though?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I was just playing about the 5 ft thing, but he does come across as a lot shorter than Stockers in a lot of his saves (or non saves)

My point isn't that Ryan is a bad keeper, I just feel we should have done more to keep Stockdale.

Well it's done, and wishing it wasn't isn't going to change it, so my advice is give Ryan your support and move on. :thumbsup:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Well it's done, and wishing it wasn't isn't going to change it, so my advice is give Ryan your support and move on. :thumbsup:

Turn it in, this is a forum for discussion about the team (and past players) not a communist "It's happened so you can't discuss it any longer"

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Ryan is not 5 ft you utter moron. He is also 1 cm shorter than Ben Roberts...I take it you wanted him out when he was here too?

Less of the abuse, thanks. I already stated in a previous post I was just playing about him being 5ft. I also stated my point was not focused on Ryans ability, but how we let Stockdale go.

:ffsparr:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here