Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Blimey, pulls no punches there, damning

Comment below...

I have a soft spot for Brighton & Hove as my best mate lives in Hove, but I am worried for them based on today's outing. Probably the most ordinary side I've seen Leicester play in 3 top flight seasons.

We look a long, long way off. You can say what you want about who we've played (though let's not fool ourselves about Leicester) but the fct is we seem to lack pace, fight and organisation. Things need to change very quickly or we'll be left behind.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Blimey, this is a pretty damning match report. The writer doesn't pull any punches:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/19/leicester-brighton-premier-league-match-report

I didn't think we were that poor.

Damning about out future prospects too, with the clear comment that it's unlikely Izquiedo will change things for us.

Back in April, it was obvious to those who watch the PL that we going to need to invest heavily on top flight quality strikers and pace in general. Football writers can see that key aspect is totally lacking.

The Independent's report gives 5 out 10 for Suttner and Ryan. Torrid afternoon for Suttner.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think we all know [MENTION=15297]Dick Head[/MENTION] is to blame. I couldn't do big crest little crest because I was already on the road by the time he started this thread :(

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
More importantly where's [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] with the big badge little badge?!?
#whereloose

See above. I was waiting for this thread to be started in my hotel in London. No sign of it. My data has run out. I tried to do it on the wifi at several stations. I even had a particularly large Leicester badge lined up.

Normal service will resume next week.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Isn't it for next season though that parachute payments rules got changed, those that have been in premier league for just one season, don't get anywhere near what they did before.

Bloody typical.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Their no.25 owned Murray today

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
[MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] that's pretty much what the Leicester fans I spoke to after said too. They reckoned there would be far worse sides than us.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I missed the first few minutes after being held in a ludicrous queue outside. Shame on Leicester and their amateur stewards.

However, based on the 87 minutes I did see, my view was that across the majority of the pitch we competed. This was not like the City game. We kept the ball for longer, we won it back more easily and I thought we were only marginally the weaker of the two teams. But the real difference was in the respective attacks. Vardy, Okazaki and Mahrez were quick, direct and skilful. They always posed a threat. On the other side we had Murphy, Murray and Gross. What a gulf in class there is there. I can't actually recall Gross retaining possession once. Every time he touched it he got tackled, passed to a blue shirt or hit it out of play. Murray in the PL looks like I would running 100m against Usain Bolt. Out of shape, old, slow, past it and simply unable to get away from the opposition. He could easily fail to score a goal all season. And Murphy wouldn't even have made my team in the Championship, so to see him start in the PL is laughable. He's got no guts. At least when Knockaert is fit and the Colombian is up to speed he'll be dumped.

So the good news is that we generally competed and the overall balance of play was not overwhelming. There are plenty of sides who will go to a good Leicester side and have less of the game. But the bad news is that I can't imagine a team has ever gone into a PL season with a slower and less threatening attack. Two strikers are a must in the next ten days as we already know Murray and Hemed have nothing to offer at this level.

Disappointing but I'm not even close to writing us off like some people are.

Leicester's game plan of the last few seasons has been to allow opponents, to an extent, plenty of the ball and "the game", then sucker punch them with their blinding pace or trickery, for yet another three points. They don't mind that at all. A slow build up from the opposition with one or two too many bodies plodding forward, gives LCFC the platform they seek.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I think we all know [MENTION=15297]Dick Head[/MENTION] is to blame. I couldn't do big crest little crest because I was already on the road by the time he started this thread :(

See above. I was waiting for this thread to be started in my hotel in London. No sign of it. My data has run out. I tried to do it on the wifi at several stations. I even had a particularly large Leicester badge lined up.

Normal service will resume next week.

Excuses, excuses. You can't make those sort of mistakes in this league.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here