Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do the media tell us who to grieve for?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Little coverage of the 200+ deaths in Nepal, Uttarahkund and Himachal Pradesh this week from a much heavier than normal monsoon.

I suspect the news of the Shoreham Air Crash received little coverage in Nepal, Uttarahkand and Himachal Pradesh

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Stopped watching the news on tv years ago. Everything you need to know is on NSC

All of this.
Haven't intentionally watched or read the news in 2 years now.
I go to the Argus site daily, however. Skipping straight to the sports section for anything Albion related.

Much better of for it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Meanwhile on NSC the Brucie RIP thread is catching the Barca thread which is incidentally just people arguing anyway and I don't recall a thread about the mudslide

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The news agencies all have their own agendas and as such tilt the reporting to best suit their agenda, we in turn have our own agendas and tend to associate with those who have similar views including choice of news agencies it's self validatidation.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
A serious question with no disrespect to anyone on the news that has died this week, however in order it appears:

1) a much loved 89 year old man

2)Two Children aged 7 & 3 in Barcelona

3) 105 African kids in Sierra Leone.

I'm not telling you who to be sad for I just think it's a "funny ol world"
It's not really telling us who to grieve for, it's just that we 'knew' Brucie, he was a part of our lives - and that applies whether you were a fan or hated his work. The other deaths, shocking and terrible though they were, were all of people we'd never heard of. The news media know this and simply reflect it.

I can personally attest for how 'knowing' the person trumps the actual death count or the manner of the deaths. My dad died on 7th July 2005. That happens to be the same day that there were a series of terrorist attacks in London that killed fifty two people. For me personally the death by natural causes of a single 80 year old man was much more upsetting and concerned me far more than 52 people being blown to pieces in our capital city. In our family it was the main topic of conversation, the London attacks were 'just' a news story.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
The news agencies all have their own agendas and as such tilt the reporting to best suit their agenda, we in turn have our own agendas and tend to associate with those who have similar views including choice of news agencies it's self validatidation.

I am a great supporter of the BBC and most of our television watching and radio listening comes down to that. But the DiS Household expressed its surprise that Brucie was firstly the first item, and then took up so much time. We echo the OP's views, and I also wonder if the BBC would have done it if so much of his career had not involved BBC programmes.

There was an hour long tribute to him at 7pm replacing the One Show - fair enough - but The News was OTT.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
It could be argued that a change of focus away from the Spanish atrocities has denied these terrorists the wall to wall coverage they did these horrific acts for.

We won't be beaten and our everyday lives go on.

RIP Bruce.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The thread O/P is dead right.... the sum total of suffering is much greater when events happen in ,say, Africa or Iraq. However our human condition relates more to those w e feel we know and like, and are closer to home.

I guess the news people just know their audience . I like to see foreign news stations also, thanks to Sky ,and the net.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
A serious question with no disrespect to anyone on the news that has died this week, however in order it appears:

1) a much loved 89 year old man

2)Two Children aged 7 & 3 in Barcelona

3) 105 African kids in Sierra Leone.

I'm not telling you who to be sad for I just think it's a "funny ol world"

Those items are also in chronological reverse order. The news brings you the latest news first, so Brucie was 'new' news, whereas the next two items were updates, rather than news.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8076670 said:
What a warped world you must live in!

Because?

I think my original tongue in cheek comment went straight over your head

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As is customary if you have a question Barry Shitpeas has the answer:-

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
On Southern Counties on Thursday the stuck crossing gate at Yapton got a mention before the 150 poor souls in Sierra Leone.

RIP Yapton crossing gate.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bad enough on the radio. On a related theme (that of pre-allocating a timslot based on percived interest then desperately trying to fill it) R5 yesterday found a stream of English speakers who were living in Barcelona to intrview with the same qustions:

"What did you see"
"Well, I heard a commotion and there were pople running about, but I couldn't actually tell what was happening"
"How did you feel"
"Well, I couldn't rally tell what was happening, but its terrible isn't it"

With the next interview almost identical. And the one after that. Then back to the studio and an interview with somone who had been in Barceona only last week....

I'm not going to weight the tragedies, but the crassness of the formulaic reportage does make me a tad irritable. Generally I love R5, but not when it blocks off a time slot for in-depth hand-wringery. Unless Nicky Campbell is running the show - he does seem to know how to pitch these things.

Anyway, sunny day and all that....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its 10.11 on the BBC National News and there has been no other story than Bruce Forsyth, thats nearly half of the time allocated for news being taken up by this one subject. BBc fail, again.

Reckon this might well prove to be the WATERSHED in such ridiculously overblown tributes. Harks back to the days when we only had a couple of terrestrial channels to glue the nation to their couches on a Saturday night. Last of the great tap-dancing, catchphrase-spouting all-round fairly-mediocre general entertainers? Suspect there will be increasingly far fewer 'national treasure' tributes going forward. At least in the entertainment world. Royalty? Bit of a backlog building up there.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Reckon this might well prove to be the WATERSHED in such ridiculously overblown tributes. Harks back to the days when we only had a couple of terrestrial channels to glue the nation to their couches on a Saturday night. Last of the great tap-dancing, catchphrase-spouting all-round fairly-mediocre general entertainers? Suspect there will be increasingly far fewer 'national treasure' tributes going forward. At least in the entertainment world. Royalty? Bit of a backlog building up there.

Must agree with you on this and then throw in the self agrandisement by the BBC, as there were many references to themselves in the article, and we have the same old littany spouted out. Surely we are beyond this now.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I sometimes wonder what the news people are smoking at the BBC. About a week after the Manchester bomb, they had nothing new to say (which had really been the case for several days) so decided to send someone to Dunblane to ask parents of the children killed there many years ago how they were coping. I would have thrown the radio across the room if it hadn't involved untangling the power cord from several others.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here