Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Bruce Forsyth RIP

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I know it's normal, and in some ways it's understandable...but just watching Sky News and they had an obituary report all ready to air within 120 seconds of breaking the news. Not sure if that sits right with me, just having a bank of famous peoples' obituaries ready for when they pass on.

I know they prepare these upfront they all do it, but it does feel contrived when only 2 minutes after the announcement they come up with one

It was always one of the first jobs a young reporter gets lumbered with when they joined a national newspaper - to update the obituaries, so that they're ready to run for the next day's edition.

Nothing disrespectful at all. The only things contrived is when some people would ask not to have certain things put on file within their obituaries.

Standard journalistic procedure.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I used to work for a music channel and had a Sinatra Obit video sitting on the shelf for a number of weeks.

Standard procedure I'm afraid.

That was years ago and now people expect to put on the news and see a tribute. Doesn't happen by magic.

Tonight people will be trawling every programme to make sure nothing disrespectful is broadcast. Imagine that in a multi channel world. Everything scheduled months in advance and full of comedy panel shows !

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
One of the last remaining genuine all round entertainers, with roots in variety. TV loved him because he was versatile - sung, danced, and made people laugh, and audiences loved him because he felt like one of them, so he made a natural game show host. Wobbled a bit in his later years but which of us wouldn't if we were still working in our 80s. Proper entertainment legend, God rest 'im.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Exactly, his first 40 years in show business was very good. I didn't expect so many people to react badly to my post, no offence meant. Maybe I just worded it wrongly.

Yes, you did.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Nothing more than a very very overrated painful presenter post 90's that the BBC failed to put to rest but the previous 40 or so years of entertainment can't be argued against.

On the contrary a BBC master stroke keeping him involved. Plus they don't keep them in a cupboard at Television Centre, the BBC needed Brucie more than the other way round.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Nothing more than a very very overrated painful presenter post 90's that the BBC failed to put to rest but the previous 40 or so years of entertainment can't be argued against.

You really are an rsole

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Just reading about his real love, the stage. Did anyone go and see his Little Me performance? Sounds like a gargantuan effort and success, shame it only got 10 months. Doesn't seem to be filmed either. 29 costume changes, you can imagine the Forsythe tour de force enthusiasm.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I used to work for a music channel and had a Sinatra Obit video sitting on the shelf for a number of weeks.

Radio station I worked for had an extensive library of them ready; age ranged from George Michael (in 2013) all to way to basically everyone famous over 75.

I believe Bruce was the last person left alive who had been on BBC TV pre-war - as a child actor/dancer in the 3 years there was TV before the war. Don't think anyone is going to beat that for career longevity unless we see huge increases in life expectancy.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
An extremely obnoxious and odious individual by all accounts, ( from those that knew him, not ncs'ers)
An extremely talented show man all the same.
RIP

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here