Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist on illegal bike who killed a pedestrian on manslaughter charged 'blamed victim'

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I've very probably missed this somewhere in the thread... but does this offence cover having an illegal bicycle, or is the conviction for the way/speed he was riding it?

Either/Both

35 Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving.

Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable,

What is the maximum sentence for this offense.

at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
"Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years ..."

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Either/Both

35 Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving.

Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable,

at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years

Thisis greater (jail term) than for Dangerous Cycling: http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/cycling-o...usly-recklessly-carelessly-or-inconsiderately if tried in the Crown Court.

Last edited:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'm not fussed about the sentence that is served,hopefully being forced to face up to the conseqences of his reckless actions- seeing the husband and 2 children left without a wife/mother will make this arrogant little sh1t understand exactly what he has done and that not only will he have to carry this for the rest of his life, he will also have to live with the fact that he acted like such a vile little **** in the immediate aftermath.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
The judge said he's shown not one iota of remorse, which hopefully means he'll be jailed. No sympathy for him, all sympathy for her family.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The judge said he's shown not one iota of remorse, which hopefully means he'll be jailed. No sympathy for him, all sympathy for her family.
Haven't followed this case, but that is very sad that he doesn't care. Hope the judge gives him plenty of time to reflect if that's really the case.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Regardless of it being her fault for stepping out whilst looking at her phone, how can you not show any remorse for killing a wife and mother of two? The arrogant little prick deserves a long custodial for that alone if nothing else. YOU KILLED SOMEONE FFS!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was about to pounce on that as I find it almost impossible to believe, but there it is:-

Judge Wendy Joseph QC ordered a pre-sentence report, but made it clear she was considering a jail sentence for Alliston.
She said: "I have not seen one iota of remorse from Mr Alliston at all at any stage."

My flabber is agast that any person, in his situation, is incapable of showing any kind of remorse/guilt/compassion.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This is London attitudes ???

It is causing backlash against cyclists.

I have certain sympathy with the cyclist having a pedestrian with a pram pull out in front of me at about 18 mph fifty years ago and my injury is stll causing me serious gyp right now.
Are they going to step out? no, oh no! I don't cycle much above 15 mph now and on a light bike, I'll not use the front brake.

I've had a near miss (it would have been fatal for me) from a car jumping a red light and wrecking his car.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
So, He gets off because of a 150 year old law!. Well, his disrespectful attitude has made him a target now for motorists.
I can't see him living long the prick.

el punal

I was about to pounce on that as I find it almost impossible to believe, but there it is:-

Judge Wendy Joseph QC ordered a pre-sentence report, but made it clear she was considering a jail sentence for Alliston.
She said: "I have not seen one iota of remorse from Mr Alliston at all at any stage."

My flabber is agast that any person, in his situation, is incapable of showing any kind of remorse/guilt/compassion.

It beggars belief doesn't it. He goes on social media to give his opinion about the event, and only takes it down when he is informed about how serious the poor woman's injuries were - did he not realise this at the time of the accident? Surely someone representing him, be it his parents, his solicitor, his barrister, should have advised him to cut the arrogance and show some sort of sympathy to help his case? Maybe they did and he chose to ignore it. I hope the judge's comments resonate with him now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some years ago I was cycling past Parliament (on my little fold up bike). A group of about 15 women (after the event I was able to clock late teens, on a school or other organized trip, Scandinavian) hovered on the island between the north and south lanes. I was cycling fast. They all saw me. One stepped into the road. I yelled at them. They saw me, heard me yelling, but then stampeeded. I was only on tit on a small bike after all. I hit one of them with considerable force. I went over the handlebars and got a spiral fracture of the left radius. The person I hit got up after lying in the road for some time, and apologised.

I was absolutely furious. It was certainly the fault of the lemmings who decided a suicidal charge was a good plan. But on reflection I could have slowed sooner, maybe. Slowing wasn't on my mind as I cycled to work, though. On a road. A road that pedestrians ought not to be running on to.

But the person I hit could have died. As could I.

Not excusing the lad in this case (certainly not, with his illegal brakes). But maybe he feels that people wandering into a road while proccupied with other activities, and unresponsive to admonition, might just have a contributory part to play in any misfortune that might befall them.

Otherwise it would have been manslaughter.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I also think that the cyclist has become vilified in part because of his prattish hair style. I did not include that in my previous post above, because it may be deemed to constitute levity.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Whilst I may have preferred a guilty of manslaughter verdict I'll settle for guilty of any offence. He will now find his ability to travel to the USA/Australia and many other countries extremely difficult. The EU are also talking about preventing convicted people of travelling post Brexit. Let us add to that that it will show up on records checks and social media searches by employers he will find himself disadvantaged, which hopefully will follow him for life. A custodial sentence will be under the basis that the offence is violent so no opportunity for HDC either. Send him down for the max two years please judge.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
18 mph = 8 metres in a second. Only 5 seconds to a non hazardous speed.

An alert and fit rider needs 0.75 of a second thinking time. This is debatable? I think it is less than this. At other times I have found shouting is quicker than ringing a bell. it all happens so suddenly.

http://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/the-5-elements-of-cbt/element-c/braking/

A bicycle cannot stop as quickly as a car.

I reckon on my heavy bike I could have not avoided the collision, but it would have been a slower impact and I would have got injured as well.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here