Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona: Van hits crowds on Ramblas tourist area

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not read the entire thread, just most of it. Anybody able to confirm how many times you've used the "I'm not a racist, but..." line? I counted two. But that was a few hours ago. Presumably you've got the hat-trick up by now and get to keep the match ball. Well done :rolleyes:

I am counting how many times your post makes any reasonable sense, but I am afraid [MENTION=28109]Wellesley[/MENTION] is one ahead of you for that match ball ............... !!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am counting how many times your post makes any reasonable sense, but I am afraid [MENTION=28109]Wellesley[/MENTION] is one ahead of you for that match ball ...............

You don't realise what a tiresome bore you are, so to be helpful, I think I'll point it out. Rarely do you ever post anything of note, but your tedious pomposity might be vaguely amusing if only you didn't have a command of the English language well beneath the level you think you have. Your spelling is dreadful, and as in this example, you often don't make any sense.

"I am counting how many times your post makes any reasonable sense". Er, it only needs to make sense once, you gimp. So what is it are you actually trying to say?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am counting how many times your post makes any reasonable sense, but I am afraid [MENTION=28109]Wellesley[/MENTION] is one ahead of you for that match ball ...............

1ub2tg

Care to elaborate on that post, e.g. by adding some kind of meaning to it? :lol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
We took in millions of refugees after the war. They weren't all white christians. As my previous post said, the attacks here have been done by British nationals, but radicalised here. The Westminster attacker was from Kent and a converted Muslim.
The internet is used by ISIS, to convert and radicalise people here. Very few jihadis have come here with refugees.

Millions ?? No.we.didnt.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
By implication you were calling him a racist, but you couldn't be bothered to scroll through the whole thread to try to qualify it though but called it anyway and then when I have a little swipe back at you, you and your mates get all in a tizzy, they dont like it up 'em.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
We should fell no moral obligation to help anyone when we can't even get our own house in order.

It's like buying a staffy, it probably won't tear your face off or murder your child, but why take the risk? Just leave it in the kennel.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Very interesting debate on the radio. This American professor suggested, and I suppose she has a point, that we should negotiate with these people. She wouldn't have it that we are all legitimate targets and was basically suggesting we should remove ourselves out of the Middle East, abandon support for Israel and stop sending arms to the Arab nations..all of them. She didn't accept that these fanatics were killing more muslims than anyone as they didn't support their version of Islam and she was sure that if we talked to them it would all be ok!

Assuming every person on this site, your children, your relations, your friends and acquaintances are seen as legitimate targets that these people will not blink an eye at killing. How can we possibly negotiate with them? Who do we negotiate with anyway...you have Islamic cells all over the world...even bakino Faso was hit a couple of days ago. The real worry is these people live amongst us...remember the 7/7 bombers came from dewsbury in yorkshire and were not known as radicals at the time. We have all these people coming back from fighting with ISIL who are used to killing for fun now! And of course we have the lone nutters like the guy in Westminster.

I think that there is no answer to this and there is no way we can prevent these sort of things. We just have to hope that the security services can keep on top of the big plots and hope the minor ones do not inflict terrible loss of life. Such is life in these days.

One Muslim guy on jeremy vine was very vocal about these suggestions that all muslims should not be allowed to hire cars or vans...he was ranting about possibly looking to change his children's names to something more " Christian" so they would fit in more, even though they are born here! It was a terrible suggestion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
By implication you were calling him a racist, but you couldn't be bothered to scroll through the whole thread to try to qualify it though but called it anyway and then when I have a little swipe back at you, you and your mates get all in a tizzy, they dont like it up 'em.

And if that was true, what the fck did it have to do with you? That sort of boring pomposity is almost all you EVER post. Is wellesley not able to defend himself? Nob.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think this is where our opinions may depart.

In my opinion truly sovereign governments have a primary responsibility to keep their own citizens safe before anything else.

There is absolutely nothing that should circumvent that obligation. It's why for many British people (and European people for that matter) the EU's fixed adherence to freedom of movement is a problem.

Placing other "moral" obligations (or the like) on the same level is deriliction of this core responsibility and those who feel that way should be honest enough to say that the victims of these atrocities are just the price we have to pay.

A kinda, this is what it means to live in a big city type view.

I'm not saying I am right, just how I think......prevention is always better than cure.

Completely accept your position, and it is a complicated issue. If there s a risk that in a group of ten thousand desperate displaced people, of all ages, there are a number who wish us harm, do we condemn all of them to further suffering - even death - to protect ourselves?

How far do you take that position?

Gunboats in the Med sinking the boats of refugees, as some have (not entirely flippantly) suggested?

It is sick that our inherent decency is used by a few evil ***** as a route to infiltrate and attack our way of life. But that is where we are, and there is no simple solution.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And if that was true, what the fck did it have to do with you? That sort of boring pomposity is almost all you EVER post. Is wellesley not able to defend himself? Nob.

That Hark bloke thought he would have a swipe, so I thought I would have a swipe back, it was a little tongue in cheek but I am glad it got you riled, bit silly asking if Wellesley no able to defend himself, says the no mark defending his mate, you silly old fool.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That Hark bloke thought he would have a swipe, so I thought I would have a swipe back, it was a little tongue in cheek but I am glad it got you riled, bit silly asking if Wellesley no able to defend himself, says the no mark defending his mate, you silly old fool.

The only thing that riles me is that you carry on your merry way oblivious to the fact you come across as a total tool. All. The. Time.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Hey - point of order please - Simster's not a silly old fool. He's not old.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Very interesting debate on the radio. This American professor suggested, and I suppose she has a point, that we should negotiate with these people. She wouldn't have it that we are all legitimate targets and was basically suggesting we should remove ourselves out of the Middle East, abandon support for Israel and stop sending arms to the Arab nations..all of them. She didn't accept that these fanatics were killing more muslims than anyone as they didn't support their version of Islam and she was sure that if we talked to them it would all be ok!

Assuming every person on this site, your children, your relations, your friends and acquaintances are seen as legitimate targets that these people will not blink an eye at killing. How can we possibly negotiate with them? Who do we negotiate with anyway...you have Islamic cells all over the world...even bakino Faso was hit a couple of days ago. The real worry is these people live amongst us...remember the 7/7 bombers came from dewsbury in yorkshire and were not known as radicals at the time. We have all these people coming back from fighting with ISIL who are used to killing for fun now! And of course we have the lone nutters like the guy in Westminster.

I think that there is no answer to this and there is no way we can prevent these sort of things. We just have to hope that the security services can keep on top of the big plots and hope the minor ones do not inflict terrible loss of life. Such is life in these days.

One Muslim guy on jeremy vine was very vocal about these suggestions that all muslims should not be allowed to hire cars or vans...he was ranting about possibly looking to change his children's names to something more " Christian" so they would fit in more, even though they are born here! It was a terrible suggestion.

Our best hope is working with communities to try and weed out these nutters. Though some on here have more extreme ideas that will only serve to be counter productive.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I've read this three times, and it still doesn't make any sense.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Our best hope is working with communities to try and weed out these nutters. Though some on here have more extreme ideas that will only serve to be counter productive.

The problem is that hasn't worked as in the case of the nutter who drove the van across Westminster bridge...afterwards, the local people interviewed who knew him at the mosque said they hadn't the faintest idea who was a radical...he actually didn't express any extremist views at all and that was why it was such a surprise.

As we are being told , stopping these plots is getting more and more by chance. If even the local imman doenst realise he has nutters in his congregation, then we are all screwed!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here