Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona: Van hits crowds on Ramblas tourist area

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
That I guess was the point I was making. Thread in the wilderness so even if a poll would be held it would be irrelevant wouldn't it? Not necessary here because 85% of members would never see it.

That's a fair point indeed.

Moving a thread to The Other Stuff discourages participation in that thread by effectively sidelining it.

If any thread is so offensive and potentially libellous that it might bring the site into disrepute, then it could be deleted.

However, that doesn't seem to be the case in this situation.

Moving this thread has led to it being positioned alongside the likes of 'Have you ever whizzed in a hotel teapot' and similar.

Whatever one's politics are, a serious thread concerning the tragic loss of life doesn't deserve this.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I can answer that for you, the Brexit topic has more people pro remain than pro leave and the Trump thread has more anti Trump than pro Trump. It fits the political side the mods want to see, so they stay. This topic is mostly anti Muslim, which is hugely against the PC brigade and their beliefs, so it's moved and hushed up.

Really hope that's not true, but there is evidence for your argument based on some of the previously moved threads.

NSC has never been an echo chamber for any particular political viewpoint in the past.

That's always been one of the best things about it.

It's there for everyone.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Reports now on Spanish tv, Cambrils close to Tarragona there has been another terrorist attack.

Edit.
4 terrorists with explosives. Been captured.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I can answer that for you, the Brexit topic has more people pro remain than pro leave and the Trump thread has more anti Trump than pro Trump. It fits the political side the mods want to see, so they stay. This topic is mostly anti Muslim, which is hugely against the PC brigade and their beliefs, so it's moved and hushed up.
Utter bollocks. The Trump thread has way more "anti Trump" people than pro because the MASSIVE majority of people in this country (and the world), regardless of political persuasion, are anti Trump. I've never met anyone (however racist, right wing, or just plain stupid) in England who actually supports Trump.

In fact the only people on here I can think of who regularly defend Trump are blatant trolls or delusional Australians who believe in ghosts.

Also, compared to other forums I've read, the Brexit thread is positively riddled with anti EU fanatics who will never shift their position, even in the face of huge public opinion or those old outdated "facts". Their opinion is never censored, and good, it shouldn't be, but to say that thread is more pro remain is totally incorrect.

It's like people slagging off the BBC for being biased because they allow everyone a voice. NSC isn't biased from what I have read over the years. No way.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

There's no mandate on here to move any particular flavour of thread.

I didn't even know this had been moved because my default view in Tapatalk shows all new threads and doesn't differentiate between NSC's sub-forums. It's only because I've read posts about the thread being moved that I now know. (I'm also on holiday so largely off NSC right now)

There probably is a left-wing bias amongst the moderating team. I might well be the most right-wing moderator, although I'm not too far from the centre at all. Maybe that left-wing bias does lead to over-moderation of right-wing posts, but I'm not entirely sure.

All I can say is that I don't tend to open up many threads myself because I just know what they will contain and I have no interest in getting involved in some of what people try to pass as debate on certain issues.

I'd like NSC to be available to discuss high profile news stories such as this horrific attack but they do seem to bring out the worst in many people and it becomes very difficult to deal with.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Wellesley decided to hijack the thread and spout off on gang rapes and murders of thousands of women and children, which has nothing to do with the terrorist murders in Barcelona, so we lobbed the thread here, as it's just descends into mud slinging and abuse.

So the murders of our women and children has nothing to do with yesterday's attack? The rape gangs etc is all connected to Islam and the attitude it has to the West. The rape issue is of course an incendiary one. That's why we need something far tougher done about this sick ideology. How you feel anything I said isn't connected is beyond me.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Just read Bozza's post above. I guess it's a see you later from me. We mustn't upset anybody, even though we are supposed to be in a 'War on terror. '

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So the murders of our women and children has nothing to do with yesterday's attack? The rape gangs etc is all connected to Islam and the attitude it has to the West. The rape issue is of course an incendiary one. That's why we need something far tougher done about this sick ideology. How you feel anything I said isn't connected is beyond me.

We need to be specific though. We need to stop young Muslim men from throwing away their lives and and those
of their victims on evil attacks such as these. Religions have been enriching themselves for centuries whilst indoctrinating young people and the current young generation is very much at risk because of promotion of religious rights. It's no wonder it's making a comeback.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
We need to be specific though. We need to stop young Muslim men from throwing away their lives and and those
of their victims on evil attacks such as these. Religions have been enriching themselves for centuries whilst indoctrinating young people and the current young generation is very much at risk because of promotion of religious rights. It's no wonder it's making a comeback.

I agree. That's why I said we need to clamp down hard on Islam now. I want to make sure that we don't end up with war on the streets, but if successive Governments ignore the issue and if people think I am a racist for saying what I do, then we've got a long way to go and it may well happen.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Bit of a stupid comment to come out with don't you think

Don't see a problem with it myself, but experts say we get hit by a large meteor on average every 74 million years and the last one was about 74 million years ago, so keep your sombrero on Jimmy, just in case.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Request to Bozza

There's no mandate on here to move any particular flavour of thread.

I didn't even know this had been moved because my default view in Tapatalk shows all new threads and doesn't differentiate between NSC's sub-forums. It's only because I've read posts about the thread being moved that I now know. (I'm also on holiday so largely off NSC right now)

There probably is a left-wing bias amongst the moderating team. I might well be the most right-wing moderator, although I'm not too far from the centre at all. Maybe that left-wing bias does lead to over-moderation of right-wing posts, but I'm not entirely sure.

All I can say is that I don't tend to open up many threads myself because I just know what they will contain and I have no interest in getting involved in some of what people try to pass as debate on certain issues.

I'd like NSC to be available to discuss high profile news stories such as this horrific attack but they do seem to bring out the worst in many people and it becomes very difficult to deal with.

Hi Bozza

To try to be fair to all and even things up a little, after all more people voted for May than Corbyn ( thankfully ) could you try to ensure the next few moderators aren't all Guardian readers? I.e. Believe all Tories are evil, terrorism is all Britain and Americas fault and the world owes a living to everyone especially the workshy, and Corbyn's favourite, govt should keep spending until it bankrupts the country cos we are all marxists in it together😐

Sorry I am paraphrasing but also being serious.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Utter bollocks. The Trump thread has way more "anti Trump" people than pro because the MASSIVE majority of people in this country (and the world), regardless of political persuasion, are anti Trump. I've never met anyone (however racist, right wing, or just plain stupid) in England who actually supports Trump.

In fact the only people on here I can think of who regularly defend Trump are blatant trolls or delusional Australians who believe in ghosts.

Also, compared to other forums I've read, the Brexit thread is positively riddled with anti EU fanatics who will never shift their position, even in the face of huge public opinion or those old outdated "facts". Their opinion is never censored, and good, it shouldn't be, but to say that thread is more pro remain is totally incorrect.

It's like people slagging off the BBC for being biased because they allow everyone a voice. NSC isn't biased from what I have read over the years. No way.

Utter bollocks.

I have been "removed" from the Brexit thread twice by mods and never been told why.......as I am currently.

We both know how the cycle of debate works on that thread, and it is usually spiky, as you would expect on any subject people feel strongly about.

If it was about personal abuse I would expect to be banned from posting on NSC outright, as would most posters on there.......for example, your most recent contribution to the thread was to label a poster whose views you disagree with as "REALLY stupid".

So yes bias and/or censorship exists on NSC.

For the record, I don't care if I am removed from threads due to bias, NSC is just a football fan website for BHA fans to contribute to more no less, so I have absolutely no beef with how it's run. NSC is not a public service so it can be as biased as it wants to be........which is why its absolutely unlike the BBC.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hi Bozza

To try to be fair to all and even things up a little, after all more people voted for May than Corbyn ( thankfully ) could you try to ensure the next few moderators aren't all Guardian readers? I.e. Believe all Tories are evil, terrorism is all Britain and Americas fault and the world owes a living to everyone especially the workshy, and Corbyn's favourite, govt should keep spending until it bankrupts the country cos we are all marxists in it together��

Probably a little unfair. NSC is a very well moderated message board. If people were to debate the issues in a
calm and polite manner then there wouldn't be any moderating decisions to make. Remember it's
not paid work and they have to rely on gut instinct. Sometimes they will get it right and sometimes they will get it
wrong. If there's no referee there's no game. Be nice and you won't have a problem.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Really getting sick of these pricks man up and have a one on one if you want a fight, mincing about driving vans into people targeting women and children what a bunch of pussies.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hi Bozza

To try to be fair to all and even things up a little, after all more people voted for May than Corbyn ( thankfully ) could you try to ensure the next few moderators aren't all Guardian readers? I.e. Believe all Tories are evil, terrorism is all Britain and Americas fault and the world owes a living to everyone especially the workshy, and Corbyn's favourite, govt should keep spending until it bankrupts the country cos we are all marxists in it together��

Just for the record, and some of this I've said on here before:

I read the FT and the Economist; I've never bought the Guardian, and, apart from reading the occasional linked article from here, never read it either (though I do confess I rather like the fact that they don't hide their content behind a paywall).

I don't believe all Tories are evil, though I do think the more right wing ones are misguided. In just the same way as I think the more left wing Labour folk are misguided.

I believe terrorism is the fault of the terrorist. I also believe that many actions over the course of decades by Western countries (yes, principally lead by the US and the UK) have contributed to a sense of anger felt by many in the Middle East. Some who are angered sufficiently turn to terrorism.

I do not believe the World owes anyone a living. I do believe that society has an obligation to support those who are genuinely in hard times. I also believe that there are too many people getting away with playing the benefits system, just as there are too many people/companies at the other end of the financial spectrum playing the tax system.

I believe that Corbyn, if elected, would cause huge damage to this country.

Other than these points, you got my political and social views bang on.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
How is opposing an extremely right-wing ideology a right wing view? Why do the left support them, is it just because they are, at present, a minority? Surely liberals that believe in women's rights and gay rights would find Islam offensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here