Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st Day/Night Test, England v West Indies, Edgbaston, Aug 17-21 2017 2pm start

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Talk about late swing! One has gone straight to second slip, and one straight to first slip, without either hitting the bat or anything else.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Cummins into the attack... 2nd ball to Westley... review for LBW.... not given but looked pretty tight to me...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
He's gone. Smashing into middle and leg.

England 39-2 (7.2 overs)

Cook and Root facing the music again.

That review is exactly what DRS is for... a shocker from Erasmus.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Not writing him off but not convinced at the moment. With age on his side I think that Hameed could be the answer. Stoneman is 30 so perhaps late in life to start playing test cricket.

Hameed has had a poor season for Lancashire and has struggled to play the short ball.

He has time on his side to sort that issue out, but at the moment he should be nowhere near the Ashes tour.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Depends on your club v country take. And, as you well know, he would have to be an overseas player to do that !

Why haven't the WI selected him? Do 'we' know if he intends to play for WI or waiting for English qualification?
I think a strong West Indies is good for world cricket and as a lad who was born and grew up in Barbados it seems a shame that he doesn't play for them. That said, his dad is English so perhaps he feels a stronger affinity with England.

I agree that it wouldn't help Sussex if he played for WI and yes he's waiting for England qualification.

I think he's a great player and love watching him playing for Sussex, really skilful with the ball despite his young age.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
After 20 overs, England 75-2, Cook 39* Root 18*

Looks good for batting out there now... early movement seems to have gone but the ball is still hard enough.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think a strong West Indies is good for world cricket and as a lad who was born and grew up in Barbados it seems a shame that he doesn't play for them. That said, his dad is English so perhaps he feels a stronger affinity with England.

I agree that it wouldn't help Sussex if he played for WI and yes he's waiting for England qualification.

I think he's a great player and love watching him playing for Sussex, really skilful with the ball despite his young age.

Just hope they can keep him after next season. If Sussex are without success I could see our friends up the road coming in for him.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England 101-2 (25.2 overs, RR3.98), Cook 48* Root 35* :clap2:

After winning the toss, and losing two early wickets, that is a good effort from the Captain and former-Captain :clap2:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
'Lunch', Day One

England 108-2 (27 overs)

Cook 50* (77 balls, 10 fours) Root 40* (63 balls, 8 fours)

Stoneman and Westley both gone early for 8 each... Cook and Root steady the ship... and find the boundary at regular intervals.

A good 'morning' for England.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
22 boundaries in 27 overs. Surely a case of be patient and wait for the 4-ball to come along? If the Windies keeping yielding one an over there's no reason why these two can't put on a huge partnership. Hopefully Cook will bag his first test ton of the summer and that will allay any minor doubts going into the winter.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
22 boundaries in 27 overs. Surely a case of be patient and wait for the 4-ball to come along? If the Windies keeping yielding one an over there's no reason why these two can't put on a huge partnership. Hopefully Cook will bag his first test ton of the summer and that will allay any minor doubts going into the winter.

Surely Cook is the least of our worries??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here