Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st Day/Night Test, England v West Indies, Edgbaston, Aug 17-21 2017 2pm start

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England must be firm favourites for this first ever home pink ball Test encounter - but who knows how it will go?

An interesting experiment, and will surely need some smart thinking from the captains.

England will make just one change from the side that overcame South Africa at The Oval and Old Trafford, with Stoneman coming in for Keaton Jennings as Cook's 12th opening partner since the retirement of Andrew Strauss. That means no return for Chris Woakes and Mason Crane missing out.

England: 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Mark Stoneman, 3 Tom Westley, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Dawid Malan, 6 Ben Stokes, 7 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Toby Roland-Jones, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson.

Kyle Hope is in line for a debut, coming in at No. 3 above his younger brother, Shai. Both scored hundreds in the pink-ball warm-up match at Derby, as did Roston Chase and opener Kieran Powell. Gabriel struggled with his run-up in that match, bowling 24 no-balls in all, but is expected to play, with the final choice between Devendra Bishoo's legspin or a fourth seamer in Alzarri Joseph.

West Indies (probable): 1 Kraigg Brathwaite, 2 Kieran Powell, 3 Kyle Hope, 4 Shai Hope, 5 Roston Chase, 6 Jermaine Blackwood, 7 Shane Dowrich (wk), 8 Jason Holder (capt), 9 Devendra Bishoo/Alzarri Joseph, 10 Kemar Roach, 11 Shannon Gabriel

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
West Indies (probable): 1 Kraigg Brathwaite, 2 Kieran Powell, 3 Kyle Hope, 4 Shai Hope, 5 Roston Chase, 6 Jermaine Blackwood, 7 Shane Dowrich (wk), 8 Jason Holder (capt), 9 Devendra Bishoo/Alzarri Joseph, 10 Kemar Roach, 11 Shannon Gabriel

I'm not sure if it is a sad reflection on the current status of West Indies cricket, or all my own ignorance, but I find it INCREDIBLE that, the once great WI arrive for a Test series in England with FOUR players that I, as a pretty keen follower of Test cricket, have never even heard of!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Test Match cricket is the subtle ebb and flow of bat over ball, or ball over bat, dictated by the skills of the players, the condition of the wicket and outfield, the weather, the state of the match and the series, moments of individual brilliance or weakness, and very much the age and condition of the ball.

The 80 over cycle, matched with the 90 over day works to ensure that a range of match conditions are encountered and a variety of bowlers are involved in the game at different times.

With the added factors of fading light, floodlights, and possibly cold evenings and dew on the outfield already going to have some impact... if the pink ball is not up to the job, then it isn't going to be Test Match cricket as we know it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not sure if it is a sad reflection on the current status of West Indies cricket, or all my own ignorance, but I find it INCREDIBLE that, the once great WI arrive for a Test series in England with FOUR players that I, as a pretty keen follower of Test cricket, have never even heard of!

Absolutely.

BBC Sport cricket reporter Stephan Shemilt

It is a real shame that West Indies still do not field their strongest team in Test cricket and their series against England could be one-sided.

It comes from a selection policy that requires players to take part in their domestic competition [many are instead playing in T20 leagues around the world], but is indicative of a wider problem facing the Test game.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

I do agree with you, but Mark Stoneman, Tom Westley, and Dawid Malan are hardly household names.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

With you on that. Gayle, Samuels, Narine, Sammy and Bravo x 2 are all missing because of the wrangles with the board. Darren Bravo is a real miss.

Roston Chase I actually came across in their recent series with Pakistan, hundreds and five-fors, could be a real player

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Shame Jofra isn't roaring in at Cook and Root today, I'd have loved to see that.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The pitch is described (albeit by Nasser Hussain) as a 'belter'... sounds like win the toss and bat.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I do agree with you, but Mark Stoneman, Tom Westley, and Dawid Malan are hardly household names.

I suspect two, or all, of them will fill their boots this series. I hope the management realise that this is no indicator of preparedness for the winter. They will, doubtless, but what other options are there anyway ?

I accept that Test cricket has to change and this day/night thing might work. That said, my main positive is being able to watch it after work.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Shame Jofra isn't roaring in at Cook and Root today, I'd have loved to see that.

Depends on your club v country take. And, as you well know, he would have to be an overseas player to do that !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here