Fence.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I wouldn't do it on a whim but I have walked 20+ miles in day. Mind you, I'd need to build up to it these days, walked over the Downs from Brighton to Lewes yesterday and that was tiring enough. Had to drink a couple of pints of Harvey's to get my strength back

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I set out from my place in Southwick (off Downsway) on New Years Day 2012 to start the way I intended to be during the year and to save myself from gorging and boozing as I had done over the previous week or so.

Set off around 10am on one of the shortest days of the year with rucksack food and a flask. Started well as I crossed Southwick Hill and walked up past Mile Oak Farm and then it was all up hill to Truleigh Hill and I arrived on the South Downs Way soaked through to the skin. By now it's 2.30ish and took shelter in the YHA where I rang out my socks and the layers of clothing I had on.

Set off again west along the ridge with Henfield to my right and the light hadn't been good all day began to disappear altogether. I wasn't carrying a torch (big mistake) as I was now descending towards Shoreham with the Cement Works to my right at least I guessed they were. It was pitch black a mile or so before I crossed the A27 on the bridge and got down to Old Shoreham Road and managed to get some food shopping at Coop Holmbush Roundabout. Still another half hour to get home back up the hill and got in 7ish.

Why I've gone into detail is because I've not done it since and in fact picked up a back injury in March so that ruled out a lot of walking this summer. However I'm now feeling confident to repeat what I did New Years Day 2012 only this time I'll check weather etc before making the sarnies.

Not sure of the distance covered but estimate at 12 miles.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've been for a 13 mile run on a whim so probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No. Would need to do some training at shorter distances before doing 21 miles on a whim.

Case in point: my gf walked 50k along the Thames last Fri night/Sat morning to raise money for a mental health charity. She set off at 5pm, and finished at 7am. She had maybe a dozen blisters on her feet, some of which were larger than a 50p piece, really tight quads and adductors, very bad lower back & was grumpy as hell. I know 50k is more than 21 miles, but she was in a bad way at half distance.

I can't make up my mind which is my stronger feeling: impressed at her perseverance, or awestruck at her stupidity that she thought she'd be able to just do 50k with zero training and come out of it ok. She's said that she's not doing another challenge like that next year. Mind you she said the same after doing the three peaks last year.

Stumpy Tim

No. Would need to do some training at shorter distances before doing 21 miles on a whim.

Case in point: my gf walked 50k along the Thames last Fri night/Sat morning to raise money for a mental health charity. She set off at 5pm, and finished at 7am. She had maybe a dozen blisters on her feet, some of which were larger than a 50p piece, really tight quads and adductors, very bad lower back & was grumpy as hell. I know 50k is more than 21 miles, but she was in a bad way at half distance.

I can't make up my mind which is my stronger feeling: impressed at her perseverance, or awestruck at her stupidity that she thought she'd be able to just do 50k with zero training and come out of it ok. She's said that she's not doing another challenge like that next year. Mind you she said the same after doing the three peaks last year.
I've done that walk and it's painful towards the end. Last year I did the 54km South Coast Challenge from Eastbourne to Hove Park... that was agony and I said I would never do it again. Of course I'm doing it again next Saturday. Roped in a few others for the "pleasure"

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've done that walk and it's painful towards the end. Last year I did the 54km South Coast Challenge from Eastbourne to Hove Park... that was agony and I said I would never do it again. Of course I'm doing it again next Saturday. Roped in a few others for the "pleasure"

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nuts, the two of you! :nono:

Good luck!

Itman-dan

Jul 19, 2011
Last year I wouldn't, but now I do that a few times a week and more. With the South Coast Challenge next Saturday a full 100km from Eastbourne to Arundel hopefully will be a stroll in the "National" Park.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not on a whim. up to 8 miles on a whim. Over that and up to 20 I'd plan it and take enough water and food for the day. Walked the SDW twice with 5 days of 20+ miles. Isle of Wight with 4 days of 20+. Much better if you don't have to go home every night.
Off to North Wales in September for a couple of weeks training getting ready for 6 weeks trekking, with own pack, in the Nepalese Annapurna from mid November. Beautiful there. 8 hours challenging walking a day. with distance measured in time not miles.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here