Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Many MILLIONS Has B&H Council Wasted On These New Black Recycling Wheelie Bins?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
OK, admire the council's bold initiative in trying to improve recycling rates across the city. But not when you live within a hundred metre radius of one of those communal recycling mini-sites. Sake! How on EARTH are you supposed to fit an old stained mattress into the posh people down the road's wheelie-bin? And don't get me STARTED on on those old cathode ray tellies. Weigh a bloody ton. I tell's thee, if I put my back out trying to fly-tip one of those into next door's bin, resulting in an accident that wasn't my fault, there will be HELL to pay! :rant:

And... RELAX :smokin:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
OK, admire the council's bold initiative in trying to improve recycling rates across the city. But not when you live within a hundred metre radius of one of those communal recycling mini-sites. Sake! How on EARTH are you supposed to fit an old stained mattress into the posh people down the road's wheelie-bin? And don't get me STARTED on on those old cathode ray tellies. Weigh a bloody ton. I tell's thee, if I put my back out trying to fly-tip one of those into next door's bin, resulting in an accident that wasn't my fault, there will be HELL to pay! :rant:

And... RELAX :smokin:

wat?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I like them but it's beyond frustrating they've taken away the little boxes as well. Because I live in a basement flat I would just chuck the recycling into the box throughout the week and then traipse the whole thing up the stairs. Once. Seeing as they've nicked me bloody boxes I'm now bumbling up and down the stairs every night to the street to pop the recycling into the big bin.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I think they're great, I could never fit all our stuff into the three boxes I used to have, and the communal bins outside the Fiveways Co Op would often be full. In our street it could be argued that they're taking up even more pavement space, but as the green rubbish bins already effectively halved the amount of pavement available that ship had already sailed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Which party runs Brighton Council these days? I'm a bit out of touch.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
They're a nightmare to sleep in.

Rubbish.jpg

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I like them but it's beyond frustrating they've taken away the little boxes as well. Because I live in a basement flat I would just chuck the recycling into the box throughout the week and then traipse the whole thing up the stairs. Once. Seeing as they've nicked me bloody boxes I'm now bumbling up and down the stairs every night to the street to pop the recycling into the big bin.

They let us keep the boxes where I live when they introduced recycling wheelie bins a few years back... and we recycle most things, I usually have more problems with the recycling bin being too full rather than the household waste one!

Oh, and the Council is of the the blue persuasion, and has been for years.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Funnily enough, I received a letter today telling me we're to get a wheelie bin for the recycling. It will be grey and I get to keep the black box for the glass. How big are the bins? I ask because I recycle loads....not to bunny hugger status but nearly up to new age traveller. Not bad really for a 70's bigot

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
We've had communal bins & recycling in central hove for years. Totally useless. Take up parking spaces, put on double yellows so they are dangerous for drivers at junctions, reduced recylcing rates, attract fly tipping, regularly overflowing.

I'm just glad theres not one outside my house

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Only in Brighton could a recycling wheelie bin be grey and non-recycling one be green.

My local council used to use green for non recycling and nearly luminous green for recycling although there's loads of the lumo-green bins with stickers over the council crest still.

The replacement private operator uses green for non and blue for recycling.

I use a third party operator with a much more conventional black/green/brown/blue (glass) setup but it does make the entire thing look like a mess.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good point, be nice to know who was in charge before deciding whether it's good or bad.

Exactly. And for national and international issues a quick scan of The Guardian is always helpful when forming the correct opinion.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
With the boxes the council man came round and tipped the contents into a large wheelie bin and could cover several houses in one go, and then affix it to the lorry. With the bins, which are pretty big, they have to affix each bin to the lorry. The result is a complete waste of effort and time - I suspect it takes them an extra couple of days a week to do the rounds - or a bucket load of overtime. The solution will obviously be to move from fortnightly collections to monthly. It will be interesting if they do a cost benefit analysis after it all pans out to see if it has been a waste of money or a complete waste of money!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We've had communal bins & recycling in central hove for years. Totally useless. Take up parking spaces, put on double yellows so they are dangerous for drivers at junctions, reduced recylcing rates, attract fly tipping, regularly overflowing.

I'm just glad theres not one outside my house

That double yellow line business is a nightmare. Really dangerous getting out on to the main road where I live because you can't see a thing past the bin.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here