Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just Signed Up to Talk Talk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Am presently with Virgin Media paying £56 per month for unlimited broadband, landline, (free weekend calls and other Virgin numbers) and a TV package without Sky Sports but 10 HD channels.

Just talked to a Hull City supporter on the phone and we were having a laugh at Steve Bruce etc.

Anyhow I've signed for Talk Talk with the same basic package but with all Sky Sports channels for £40 per month on an 18 month contract.

Not bad I think to get all the sport channels for £16 less per month.

I know you have I've just been sent your details.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
They're all shit ... I've been with Sky and BT and once you run into anything even remotely out of the ordinary then the whole thing goes completely tits up. They are all fine until something goes wrong

Honestly, I've dealt with many companies in my time but Talk Talk are worse than all of them put together. Utter shambles, I'm actually getting angry just thinking about it. I'd be interested to see the op's feedback when the inevitable happens...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
As someone who has worked in the industry you’ve got 2 choices for Broadband :

Virgin media : A direct cable to your door. If it works, It’s the best broadband speed you will get, if it doesn’t god help you. The call centre is dreadful and you might as well talk to the wall should you complain. The service is diabolical. The escalation process non existent.
Anyone else : It’s a BT Openreach telephone line for the last part whoever you use. So whether you are Sky, Talk Talk, BT, whoever, It’s much of a muchness whatever the sales stuff might say in terms of speed. Talk Talk, despite there much maligned call centre, are one of the better ones in the industry in regard to service so don’t be put off by this thread but that is not to say you won’t be one of the unlucky ones.

The bottom line is that Telco’s operate on a minimal margin so they cannot afford the earth in terms of service as it prices them out the market. With most, if not all, you are up against it if something goes wrong as they having got the manpower to chase it though and 9 times out of 10 they have to fault it to BT, who really don’t care as it’s not their customer. On something I have worked on, we expected to upset 2.5% of our customers so much they would leave. That equated to over 3000 customers.

As for the Tellybox, get whatever is cheapest or suits you best. There is less to go wrong once you’ve got the service working that is.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Am presently with Virgin Media paying £56 per month for unlimited broadband, landline, (free weekend calls and other Virgin numbers) and a TV package without Sky Sports but 10 HD channels.

Just talked to a Hull City supporter on the phone and we were having a laugh at Steve Bruce etc.

Anyhow I've signed for Talk Talk with the same basic package but with all Sky Sports channels for £40 per month on an 18 month contract.

Not bad I think to get all the sport channels for £16 less per month.

I just hope you never have to use any of their customer service or support people (although I use the term "support" loosely)

This.
Absolute rubbish, my dad had so many issues dealing with their customer services, it drove him up the bloody wall.
Sorry, but had to say it :(

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I suspect with their track record Talk Talk have already passed all your data details onto third parties.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If only TalkTalk would hold their hands up and say "fair enough, we can't get your internet working and we don't have enough engineers to try and fix your problem, you'll have to cancel" then it wouldn't be so bad. It's the making you pay up the remainder of your contract before you can leave which is the killer.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Nothing worse than announcing proudly that you think you've done well only to be put straight by practically everyone on this thread

I've just added a sim only contract on Virgin Media and it's been a nightmare - first sim didn't arrive for 10 days so got back on to them only for them to courier a second one to me which arrived next day hours after the first arrived. Since then I've had several calls from Virgin (Phillipines) trying to sell me something else. Also I keep getting junk mail from Virgin despite being an existing customer.

I thought perhaps it's time for a change after 4 years with the prices rising steadily and the chance to get the Premier League channel from Sky.

I still think I've done well as it stands but I'll reserve judgement until it's installed etc.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
As someone who has worked in the industry you’ve got 2 choices for Broadband :

Virgin media : A direct cable to your door. If it works, It’s the best broadband speed you will get, if it doesn’t god help you. The call centre is dreadful and you might as well talk to the wall should you complain. The service is diabolical. The escalation process non existent.
Anyone else : It’s a BT Openreach telephone line for the last part whoever you use. So whether you are Sky, Talk Talk, BT, whoever, It’s much of a muchness whatever the sales stuff might say in terms of speed. Talk Talk, despite there much maligned call centre, are one of the better ones in the industry in regard to service so don’t be put off by this thread but that is not to say you won’t be one of the unlucky ones.

The bottom line is that Telco’s operate on a minimal margin so they cannot afford the earth in terms of service as it prices them out the market. With most, if not all, you are up against it if something goes wrong as they having got the manpower to chase it though and 9 times out of 10 they have to fault it to BT, who really don’t care as it’s not their customer. On something I have worked on, we expected to upset 2.5% of our customers so much they would leave. That equated to over 3000 customers.

As for the Tellybox, get whatever is cheapest or suits you best. There is less to go wrong once you’ve got the service working that is.

Then factor in, if you go with option 2, but not BT, they only sell their competitors the slower lines, so you are never getting the best broadband speed.

As to the 'fibre optic' broadband, questionable advertising.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
I'm amazed people still use them. Yes, I know they're cheap, but is there a more universally hated brand?

Was with them once, never, ever again.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Then factor in, if you go with option 2, but not BT, they only sell their competitors the slower lines, so you are never getting the best broadband speed.

Utter nonsense. The wholesale product that BT have to sell it's competitors is identical in every way to the retail product. To claim that Talk Talk/Sky etc are crap because BT sell them an inferior product is misleading.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Utter nonsense. The wholesale product that BT have to sell it's competitors is identical in every way to the retail product. To claim that Talk Talk/Sky etc are crap because BT sell them an inferior product is misleading.

When I was in Hove and could not have Virgin Media due to the conservation area, every comparison site had all suppliers other than BT providing a slower service.

When I then checked on BT's site, they were offer one bundle at a certain speed and then bundles that were less, but these lesser ones matched up with what Talk Talk etc were offering.

Granted BT had recently installed new fibre to the cab, so it may have been a case that they had not yet offered the faster bundles via the resale agreements.

The whole thing is a con in any case, as until you have fibre running into each premise, speeds are not going to be what they could be.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When I was in Hove and could not have Virgin Media due to the conservation area, every comparison site had all suppliers other than BT providing a slower service.

When I then checked on BT's site, they were offer one bundle at a certain speed and then bundles that were less, but these lesser ones matched up with what Talk Talk etc were offering.

Granted BT had recently installed new fibre to the cab, so it may have been a case that they had not yet offered the faster bundles via the resale agreements.

The whole thing is a con in any case, as until you have fibre running into each premise, speeds are not going to be what they could be.

That's because they are the bundles the Cps have actually bought. It's nothing to do with BT. All Cps are offered whatever they want. If they choose a lower option at lower cost it is down to them. They will all however blame BT for everything regardless

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Recently concluded 'negotiations' with Talk Talk. They failed to deliver the service but took money. When DD cancelled they threatened legal action. Eventually they resorted to debt collectors. Ultimately I had three complaints on the go - initially for non delivery of service, then threatening nature of calls from their customer service team and finally from debt agency. They claimed that upwards of £300 was owed for a service they had never delivered or been connected. I kept adding complaint on complaint and refused to accept there 'offers' to reduce the non debt (it miraculously went down to £150 over a 6 week period). I added a final complaint of harassment, bullying and extortion and explained that as far as I was concerned it should now be passed to the ombudsman. They agreed to wipe the non debt and refund money taken by DD. Process took nearly 2 years to complete. They are a dispicable company who draw you in on price and abandon you when it comes to customer. Good luck.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Forget the "they're all the same" stuff. Talk Talk are the worst. We had no internet for three months despite trying to sort it out on a daily basis with them. All the call centre stuff people have mentioned on here. Just a nightmare.

Eventually ditched them and switched to Sky who, after two calls, sent a BT engineer out who fixed the problem in about 20 minutes.

Hilariously, when we had finally had enough and left, we got a groveling letter from some Talk Talk "head of department" or something woman, begging us to reconsider and offering loads of discounts. Discounts on paying for nothing aren't actually discounts so we declined.

They are shit.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Although I feel your pain, and there will be plenty of it for the next 18 months of your life, I can't stop laughing at what you've done!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here