Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Only?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Hardly, how many cake companies have ended up in court cause they refuse to make wedding cakes for gay couples.

Just one example.

I get the hypocrisy.

It's double standards and I think they are stupid, I simply have no issue with gay only or straight only services.

Big believer in the free market sorting such things out.

If you won't make cakes for Gays you're really only hurting your sales, plenty of other places will happily make cakes for Gays.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My young lady has this morning been looking at various usual holiday websites for a last minute holiday deal. She came across one but it stated 'Gay Only'! Are companies legally allowed to say that...

And in these non-binary days, how could they even go about demanding proof of Gayness?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So, you'd be quite happy to go back to a time where a B&B place advertised "No blacks or Irish" ? I think we've moved on.

Let the free market decide if their ideas are good or bad.

Plenty of places have strict no pets policies only for other businesses to see that as an opportunity to meet those turned aways needs.

Businesses built on stupid ideas never last long.

D

Deleted member 2719

Should gay men be aloud in mens changing room/showers???

If so as a heterosexual i want to go into ladies changing room/showers.

It's only fair.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Should gay men be aloud in mens changing room/showers???

If so as a heterosexual i want to go into ladies changing room/showers.

It's only fair.

The Chinese guy on my work team was in shock yesterday because he'd seen a transexual in the gym changing rooms. I think his exact words were: "he used to be a woman or something like that." :lolol:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Doesn't mean that the law is right.

Well who exactly determines what is "right" in that case?

As a democrat, in a parliamentary democracy, who believes in that system, I accept the rule of law, and don't pick and choose those laws which appeal to me or my own personal prejudices as being the ones to abide by.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

As a democrat, in a parliamentary democracy, who believes in that system, I accept the rule of law, and don't pick and choose those laws which appeal to me or my own personal prejudices as being the ones to abide by.

I'm a conservative and also abide by the law. I just don't agree with this, freedom of choice is eroded. I don't see why the government needs to get involved in a deal between two parties.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with you but I think you should be able to if you wished.
I can certainly see the point of view of a minority group that suffers inequality, they shouldn't have to worry about whether someone will provide their standard service just because they're gay.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I get the hypocrisy.

It's double standards and I think they are stupid, I simply have no issue with gay only or straight only services.

Big believer in the free market sorting such things out.

If you won't make cakes for Gays you're really only hurting your sales, plenty of other places will happily make cakes for Gays.
Great tag line.

The market doesn't sort things out though, not in the early stages of stopping discrimination. It makes things more expensive for the minority groups and gives people the idea that it's ok to discriminate, and you end up with Australia.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Laws get changed. Often as a result of pressure from those that do not agree with them. Thirty or forty years ago (I don't know exactly when the law was changed), for example, buggery was a crime, by law.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Laws get changed. Often as a result of pressure from those that do not agree with them. Thirty or forty years ago (I don't know exactly when the law was changed), for example, buggery was a crime, by law.

Exactly - they get changed by due democratic process (sometimes influenced by campaigning), and when they do, I'm happy to abide by the new law.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here