Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Yorkshire accommodation - recommendations

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Hi NSCers - Does anyone have a pub/hotel in North Yorks (preferably in a village or small market town) that they would recommend staying at?

(Budget is a bit of a factor as well)

Thanks!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Anywhere really! We've done Ripon/Masham/Harrogate, so maybe somewhere away from these areas.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Hi, there are some lovely towns and villages in North Yorhahkre - depends on what you want.

Whitby is a busy seaside town full of little B&B's - decent pubs too and great fish and chips. It's on the edge of the North York moors for walks too. Robin Hoods Bay and other little seaside hamlets are close by too. Don't swim in the sea though - it's always freezing - i went once in late April, it was snowing and about -5!

If you want a walking based holiday try the towns in the Yorkshire Dales - Skipton is one of the largest, but there are much prettier smaller places - try Grassington / Kettlewell. Again lots of pubs... there's a great campsite nearby in appletreewick and 2 great pubs with accommodation too.

http://tanhillinn.com - this place is the highest pub in Britain at 1760 feet above sea level - they had a recent New Years do up there and it started to snow and people were stuck there for a couple of days!

Further North, Richmond is a lovely old market town and Hawes is nice too.

Harrogate is a large old spa town - very posh (it has a Betty's) lots of hotels and b&b's too. Ilkley is in West Yorkshire, but on the border of North Yorkshire and is a smaller version of Harrogate. It's got a decent Michelin Started restaurant and the famous and very accessible Ilkley Moors to walk on!

Malham is a lovely spot for walking and is about 10 miles up from Skipton...

There's loads to go at and you won't be disappointed just find an area and trip advisor it for places to stay.

Hope that helps!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anywhere really! We've done Ripon/Masham/Harrogate, so maybe somewhere away from these areas.

Scarborough and Bridlington for the coast.
Pickering for the North York Moors railway, where you can on and off at any stop, which includes Goathland, which is where Heartbeat was filmed.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Stayed in Burnsall for a wedding a few years ago, lovely place.

The Devonshire Fell? If so, I had a mates wedding there too. Years back when I was much fitter I'd ride my bike up to Burnsall and back to Ilkley through Bolton abbey. I'd struggle now - those hills are a bit much!

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Scarborough and Bridlington for the coast.
Pickering for the North York Moors railway, where you can on and off at any stop, which includes Goathland, which is where Heartbeat was filmed.

I want to like Scarborough, but the front is very tacky and grubby - a bit like Blackpool. It has potential though and is nice and cheap! The north bay / beach area and Scalby Park / sea life centre is my favourite end.

I do prefer Whitby though, it' has great views...

IMG_0963.JPG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I want to like Scarborough, but the front is very tacky and grubby - a bit like Blackpool. It has potential though and is nice and cheap! The north bay / beach area and Scalby Park / sea life centre is my favourite end.

I do prefer Whitby though, it' has great views...

View attachment 88266

I like Whitby, which can be reached via the NYM railway, too. I like Brid, even if it is Rotherham on sea.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
The Devonshire Fell? If so, I had a mates wedding there too. Years back when I was much fitter I'd ride my bike up to Burnsall and back to Ilkley through Bolton abbey. I'd struggle now - those hills are a bit much!

It was indeed the Fell! Loved the view out, down to the stream etc. Been there twice, each time we were greeted down by the bridge by a Jack Russell that followed us down the river walk. V sociable thing, apparently owned by a farmer, but seemed pretty independent!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here