Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elvis Presley - 40 years today since his death.....

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was 24 at the time and don't recall the announcement - it largely passed me by. Reason - I was doing accountancy exams and fully absorbed.

The Silver Jubilee passed me by too - I can recall hearing the party being held at the Maytree whilst I was swotting.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I was in the Vortex (Wardour street) the night he died and a young Danny Baker cajoled the audience (for the Adverts). We rightly told Danny to eff off.

As DB recalls......

DB1.JPG DB2.JPG DB3.JPG

There seems to be a bit of a discrepancy between the two accounts which makes me doubt the credibility of HW tackle's story. According to HWT Baker "cajoled" the audience but in Mr Baker's account who I must say I'm more inclined to believe he makes it quite clear he "harangued" the audience or "boneheads" as he eloquently put it. Furthermore according to Baker the crowd were made up of "giggling thick-headed drunks and weedy misfit bozos". Again I am inclined to believe Mr Baker's account that this was an accurate estimation of the audience demographic that night. So if Harry Wilson's tackle was indeed present that night as he has claimed, could he perhaps inform us which of those two clearly defined categories did he fall into?

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Never really a fan of his but am sorry about how his life turned out. Badly advised, poorly managed, closeted away from the real world and fed a diet of fast food and drugs. Whilst there is no doubt that he changed the face of music in his early days, you have to give credit to the writers as well as him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As DB recalls......

View attachment 88275 View attachment 88276 View attachment 88277

There seems to be a bit of a discrepancy between the two accounts which makes me doubt the credibility of HW tackle's story. According to HWT Baker "cajoled" the audience but in Mr Baker's account who I must say I'm more inclined to believe he makes it quite clear he "harangued" the audience or "boneheads" as he eloquently put it. Furthermore according to Baker the crowd were made up of "giggling thick-headed drunks and weedy misfit bozos". Again I am inclined to believe Mr Baker's account that this was an accurate estimation of the audience demographic that night. So if Harry Wilson's tackle was indeed present that night as he has claimed, could he perhaps inform us which of those two clearly defined categories did he fall into?

No. He whined and weedled. In his plastic mock leather jacket and David Essex curles. There were a few knob heads there that evening, but DB would not have dared to call them out as he pretends.

Don't get me wrong. I love his radio progs and his books. But don't forget, his motto is 'sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain'. He has emvellished his memoris with heroics that are fantasy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think you might be right about that jacket. There's definitely more than a hint of "faux" about it.

View attachment 88283

Yes. Now you get it. When he wrote for the NME he was clueless. He got into 'Oi' a bit. He had no idea about the punk scene. When this soppy cock in the plastic coat and perm pulled out a small onion about Elvis he was rightly rebuked. After a few wheedles he shuffled off. Over the years this has transmogrified into 'Danny Baker denounces punk rock'. No he didn't. Still like him, though.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Yes. Now you get it. When he wrote for the NME he was clueless. He got into 'Oi' a bit. He had no idea about the punk scene. When this soppy cock in the plastic coat and perm pulled out a small onion about Elvis he was rightly rebuked. After a few wheedles he shuffled off. Over the years this has transmogrified into 'Danny Baker denounces punk rock'. No he didn't. Still like him, though.

On another note have you noticed in that photograph how the gaping fly cover on his trousers bears an uncanny resemblance to one half of a pair of labia minora? It's little details like that which always catch my eye.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Don't care what anyone says.

Elvis Presley an American trilogy is a classic in terms of energy and emotion

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A girlfriend saw him live in Vegas, circa 1972.
She said it was the most incredible atmosphere, pre-appearance, she had ever experienced. The venue was in complete darkness and people were shaking with excitement. A single spotlight picked him out and the place went crazy. She said it was simply unforgettable. He had that effect on people.
Watched a documentary about him and as he left a performance, he was ushered into the back of a limo. Still in his white, sequined outfit and draped with a towel, he started to sing gospel, very softly and very, very beautiful. You suddenly realised what this man was all about. His roots and what was in his heart.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have an Elvis story ...

My aunt was a huge Elvis fan. In the 1970s she went to Las Vegas to see him. (It wasn't that big a trip for her actually as she lived in Florida). After the show she tried to get in to see him backstage, but obviously the security was pretty tight and she couldn't get in. Undeterred she hung around the stage door hoping to get a glance at him as he came out, and he patience was rewarded when, surrounded by his entourage, he eventually 'left the building' (Literally!).

She shouted out "Elvis! I've come all the way from England to see you!", Which, ok, was a lie, but as she still had an English accent it was believable. Elvis must have heard her, because he came over, looked at her and opened his mouth. She thought "Oh my God, Elvis is going to speak to me!" Sadly no - he just vomited all over her.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here