Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elvis Presley - 40 years today since his death.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh what different lives we led... I was in my favourite comfy chair in the corner of the sitting room sat in front of the television.

By the way what exactly was Danny Baker cajoling you to do to warrant the eff off? You didn't make that bit very clear. And if you want me to elaborate on my "where were you when Elvis died" anecdote please feel free to ask.

Well, basically, between acts, Baker (at the time with luxuriant curly hair, and in a plastic bomber jacket) came on stage to announce the passing of Elvis. As the symbol of the teds (who have lthe likes of me enless grief, both in London and in Portslade), Elvis was not a figure of devotion. So everyone cheered. Baker then started lecturing us (passing of a legend etc). He got short shrift. A few weeks later, the Peacehaven Wild Boys performed 'Elvis is Dead' on John Peel.

So where were you when Elvis died?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG9ph9xkOrw

The greatest example of a man under the influence of drugs. No wonder he fell off the toilet 40 years ago and died.

The drugs show big here, but still had an amazing voice - very gospel like.

Do I remember John Peel getting annoyed on his show around this time because of the disrespect he was given at punk gigs. Peter and the test tube babies Elvis is dead I didn't know until the early 80's pissed and proud album.

I remember seeing it on the news at my Nan's in Storrington on the night time news, and being strangely distressed at the fact someone died in the crowd outside Graceland's, thinking it was odd to die mourning someones death. My Mum and Dad who were rockers were very upset.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Amazingly, I knew nothing about it until the next day. I was having my hair cut and all the guys in the shop were talking about it, while the radio was playing Elvis songs. I must have been out the previous night and got back too late for any news and I remember being the first customer in the barbers.

I certainly didn't cheer his death - I was well aware of how he had changed music - but I was more upset by the death of Groucho Marx, a couple of days later.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Amazingly, I knew nothing about it until the next day. I was having my hair cut and all the guys in the shop were talking about it, while the radio was playing Elvis songs. I must have been out the previous night and got back too late for any news and I remember being the first customer in the barbers.

I certainly didn't cheer his death - I was well aware of how he had changed music - but I was more upset by the death of Groucho Marx, a couple of days later.

I was more upset by what happened to Lynyrd Skynyrd in October tbh

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I was working the night shift at my office near St Peter's Church in Brighton. No mobile phone, no internet, no TV.

Then the day shift came in and announced "I see that fat ******* Elvis is dead".

Am still a huge fan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I was coming home from football training. It was on the radio. I couldn't help falling in love with Elvis. It was a burning love. People were talking incessantly, I asked for a little less conversation. . I kept thinking I better buy those blue suede shoes because it was now or never. Those shoes were always on my mind. It seemed one night somehow I had lost my good luck charm which was a little plastic hound dog made of a big hunk of love. If I can dream it would be of a bossa nova baby in the cold kentucky rain and a person with a wooden heart and suspicious mind would not help this baby in the ghetto. I asked the baby are you lonesome tonight, do you want to return to sender? It was sure to be a blue christmas. Are you a devil in disguise? Don't cry daddy boy. I've got a teddy bear for you. We'll go to the heartbreak hotel and show off the wonder of you. Unfortunately the hotel is owned by a hard headed woman and she's not you. A fool such as I might think the jailhouse rock is a good place to leave you but I'm stuck on you. All the baby could say was love me tender.

Can you identify all 30 Elvis songs in the paragraph above?

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Remember being on holiday and buying the morning paper with the headlines Elvis is Dead, which is how I greated my parents when I got back to the holiday home.

Always grabbed me as a gyrating and pouting mannequin who didn't write his own songs. His films where passable which is more than can be said for most singers(Bowie an exception). and he had his loyal fans. He was a fading star with to many habits from a dying era at the time.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Having a lunchtime drink in the 'Dive Bar' at the British Embassy in Moscow. Someone came in with the news and it didn't mean too much to me at the time. I grew to learn much more about his legacy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having a lunchtime drink in the 'Dive Bar' at the British Embassy in Moscow. Someone came in with the news and it didn't mean too much to me at the time. I grew to learn much more about his legacy.

I was aware but too young to properly understand. I got into him in later life and the very first place the young Herr Tubthumper ever visited outside of Europe was Gracelands and Sun Studio (and I mean literally-I flew to NYC, changed planes to Memphis and next morning went to the house and studio). The latter was my favourite; the music history of that place is incredible.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
doing what? sorry, just had to ask

"Data Control Clerk" at GRIP, by the Phoenix brewery on Waterloo Place / Phoenix Place

Was it you that told me?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Public Enemy's take on The King:

Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me, you see
Straight up racist that sucker was
Simple and plain
Mother f/ck him and John Wayne

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

That sounds like a suspicious line of interrogation. As I said, when I heard the news I was in my favourite comfy chair in the corner of the sitting room sat in front of the television. If you want me to elaborate I was sat just next to the serving hatch. It was probably around 9.30pm when I heard the news.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
That sounds like a suspicious line of interrogation. As I said, when I heard the news I was in my favourite comfy chair in the corner of the sitting room sat in front of the television. If you want me to elaborate I was sat just next to the serving hatch. It was probably around 9.30pm when I heard the news.

OMG! Are you Hannibal Lecter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here