Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** NFL Fantasy Football 2017 ***

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
So the main three topics at hand then.

PPR - Would you be on board with bringing this in? I am only thinking of introducing this into the standard league, but as of right now I am pretty sure we are going to roll this out.

Dynasty league - barring one team it seems the current 8 are active, which means filling that one team should be really easy. We'll keep the league running for sure. In terms of having a thin wire, we already have a very large bench, what suggestions do you have to make those players a viable bench player? FWIW Corey Davis is a FA in most of my standard leagues because he's been crap this year :lolol:

We are keeping kickers, that one isn't up for discussion. I am always open to ideas and I like to think I run the leagues with a very open hand but I won't budge on kickers, they stay.

Edit - I do apologise, I thought Kinel Tay had stopped playing and I was wrong, they're still active. Sorry you're having such a bad season :lolol: Only Oklahoma B52's is looking inactive having not touched their team since November 14th.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
FWIW Corey Davis is a FA in most of my standard leagues because he's been crap this year :lolol:

And in most dynasty leagues is stashed because it is extremely likely he becomes a top NFL wide receiver. There's no real incentive to hang on to developmental players for too long as the wire is so strong which I thought was basically the purpose of a dynasty league as opposed to keeper.

I probably won't play in that one next year. It's definitely the league I look at the least, which is a shame because I love the idea.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
And in most dynasty leagues is stashed because it is extremely likely he becomes a top NFL wide receiver. There's no real incentive to hang on to developmental players for too long as the wire is so strong which I thought was basically the purpose of a dynasty league as opposed to keeper.

I probably won't play in that one next year. It's definitely the league I look at the least, which is a shame because I love the idea.

Ok cool, so how do you suggest this improves? We already have a very deep roster on each team so any suggestions is welcome!

Balders

Aug 19, 2013

It is a shame as it's the format that conversely I enjoy the most. Whether it be Dynasty or Regular Leagues, they are only successful if people support them, particularly with Dynasty. The minute somebody gets bored or the format doesn't suit them, then all the hard work done by the organiser is undone, which like you say is a shame.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
But it doesn't really matter how he does vs other positions. It's about how much better he does than the first kicker not drafted, which usually averages out at around 2 or 2.5 points per game every year. Justin Tucker is currently the 5th ranked kicker with 114.00 points, the 15th ranked kicker (i.e the first undrafted kicker in a 14 team league) Cantanzaro has 94.00 points. It's a difference of less than two points a game. Let's not get too technical on kickers, you pick one attached to an offence you think will be high scoring (which is why Zuerlein is top at the moment, quite a way ahead of Tucker.) If you didn't get Zuerlien (and I can't imagine anyone drafted him) the difference between the kicker you have and the best available on the wire is at best 2 points per game, which if you could be arsed could be offset by streaming kickers (generally picking ones that have games against poor defences.)

If fantasy was all about just having the top scoring players the whole first round would be quarterbacks. It isn't because the difference between the top quarterback and the first one available on the wire isn't anywhere near the equivalent for running backs. Positions where there are negligible differences between top end guys and what is on the wire are basically pointless. I never draft a kicker as it's bettter to take a WR or RB that could benefit from pre season injury and I pick one up on Free Agency in the days before the season starts. I have Will Lutz this year in most of my leagues who is currently K3 and on one of the most high powered offences in the league. Others will have got lucky in picking up Zuerlin who at 60 points above the K15 is about the only kicker worth the effort this year.

Marvin Jones and Adam Theilen are great examples of what I'm talking about. They have been worth around 5ppg against the best available on the wire this year. Any kicker taken in the same range (which they were) the maximum value you can extract is around 2ppg.

I actually look to draft kickers on offences that are ok but nothing special (once the 'big name' kickers have gone). Tucker and Succup fall into this category and are currently 4th and 5th ranked kickers.

In my other league we draft the weekend before the season starts so there is no point drafting a backup rb rather than a kicker.

In my other league we also reward big field goals and punish missed PAT's, so having a good kicker can make a difference.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
So the main three topics at hand then.

PPR - Would you be on board with bringing this in? I am only thinking of introducing this into the standard league, but as of right now I am pretty sure we are going to roll this out.

Dynasty league - barring one team it seems the current 8 are active, which means filling that one team should be really easy. We'll keep the league running for sure. In terms of having a thin wire, we already have a very large bench, what suggestions do you have to make those players a viable bench player? FWIW Corey Davis is a FA in most of my standard leagues because he's been crap this year :lolol:

We are keeping kickers, that one isn't up for discussion. I am always open to ideas and I like to think I run the leagues with a very open hand but I won't budge on kickers, they stay.

Edit - I do apologise, I thought Kinel Tay had stopped playing and I was wrong, they're still active. Sorry you're having such a bad season :lolol: Only Oklahoma B52's is looking inactive having not touched their team since November 14th.

I really recommend 0.5 PPR rather than a full point btw.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I actually look to draft kickers on offences that are ok but nothing special (once the 'big name' kickers have gone). Tucker and Succup fall into this category and are currently 4th and 5th ranked kickers.

In my other league we draft the weekend before the season starts so there is no point drafting a backup rb rather than a kicker.

In my other league we also reward big field goals and punish missed PAT's, so having a good kicker can make a difference.
Anything that can provide more separation between K3 and K15 would be welcome. I still think you guys are thinking about this in terms of 'what should be' rather than what's enjoyable or what adequately rewards good play.

The thing with drafting in the late rounds is you are always better off taking shots at players who could end up WR 1-12 or RB 1-12 in the hope that one or two do rather than taking a kicker. The K1 this year wasn't even drafted!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ok cool, so how do you suggest this improves? We already have a very deep roster on each team so any suggestions is welcome!
Outside of adding more teams in an expansion draft format, which looking at the link I've posted above seems very hard work, not a great deal.

Maybe we should have 2 RB's and 3 WR's like the standard league. Perhaps we could go 2QB/ 3 flex as well and add 5 bench spots each to accomdate it. That's 50 extra players, which is around 2 extra teams worth of players.

In addition, maybe there should be some safeguard to stop people dropping Aaron Rodgers when they have a reserve kicker. That definitely took away from my desire to play this year.....

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Some personal musings from the Dynasty League after last night and the various discussions on it's future:

I need a "Todd Gurley performance" from Devonta Freeman tonight to turn around a 28pt deficit to Brighton Seagulls to make the Championship - not impossible, but I fear out of reach. Ironically after the battering I got for making a humble mistake for waiving Aaron Rodgers, my opponent who picked him up could have played him last night and could have had a 36pt cushion - that's the point of Leagues like this, you have to make decisions and it's not all down to one player.

Another piece of irony, after scrolling back through this thread, is that I was particularly lambasted by one player for making a mistake - said player also made a mistake and quickly posted to get it reversed. At least I accepted my mistake and moved on - has it made a difference, who knows - that's the point!

Same said player has been very vociferous about kickers - to the point that this week he waived his kicker and played last night without one. Would this have happened if he'd have made the top 4 and wasn't in the consolation? But I do love a good showing of petulance :)

I have loved every minute of the Dynasty, yes it's different but for all intents and purposes, this league like any other league is won or lost on Waivers, save a handful of players - my starting line up last night showed little resemblance to my team at the beginning of the season.

Keep up the good work and good luck to whoever makes it to the Championship!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whichever poster is LT's Facemask, barring miracles see you in the superbowl!

Thank you. Think I’m definitely the underdog.

I was more gutted at missing the play offs in the Dynasty league, having led early on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
As an update. 0.5ppr sounds a good way to go to meet everyone on the middle ground.

Kickers stay.

Good luck everyone in their superbowls!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Another piece of irony, after scrolling back through this thread, is that I was particularly lambasted by one player for making a mistake - said player also made a mistake and quickly posted to get it reversed. At least I accepted my mistake and moved on - has it made a difference, who knows - that's the point!

I missed this when it was posted. I think if you mistakenly press a key and it drops the best fantasy quarterback in the NFL when you have two kickers on your roster it would be perfectly reasonable to ask to have that reversed. It's a slip of the key/mouse, not asking to have your draft over again!

IIRC correctly my mistake involved Devante Parker - I should have left him on the bloody scrapheap all the use he was.

Anyway, is it time to start thinking about this year's installment?

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I missed this when it was posted. I think if you mistakenly press a key and it drops the best fantasy quarterback in the NFL when you have two kickers on your roster it would be perfectly reasonable to ask to have that reversed. It's a slip of the key/mouse, not asking to have your draft over again!

IIRC correctly my mistake involved Devante Parker - I should have left him on the bloody scrapheap all the use he was.

Anyway, is it time to start thinking about this year's installment?

I hope so.
[MENTION=17456]The_Viper[/MENTION] will you be continuing with both Dynasty league and season league?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Just catching up on this, shame Viper can't do it again this year, thank you for all the previous years!

Anyone going to take over? Is it possible for Viper to transfer it to someone? Would anyone want to do it?

I could as a last resort (although never run one before) as it would be a shame for it to vanish.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just catching up on this, shame Viper can't do it again this year, thank you for all the previous years!

Anyone going to take over? Is it possible for Viper to transfer it to someone? Would anyone want to do it?

I could as a last resort (although never run one before) as it would be a shame for it to vanish.

Like you Trigger, really enjoy it, I will also throw my hat in, I haven’t the foggiest idea how it all works.

Kickers will stay if I do it! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here