Gerrard and lampard on BT Sport

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can see it now: The credits role. Russia 2018. The excitement of a world cup

Gary Linekar turns to Martin O'Neil
GL "So, Martin. I'll ask you this now, who do you think will win the world cup?"
MON "I haven't seen all the teams play so I don't want to answer that question"
GL "Right...uummm....can England win the world cup?"
MON "I don't know. It's too early to tell"

Do National teams often buy new players a game or two into a World Cup finals tournament, then?

:jester:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can Brighton stay up? Yes, of course they CAN.
Will they stay up? Really don't know. No-one does, that's why I don't really pay much attention to the predictions these guys come out with. And in some ways it ANNOYS me that these questions are asked after one game. Same as why they have to put relegation/promotion lines on the tables (why bother with THEM?) after one or a couple of games.

What I can say, is that after watching the game back, there is PLENTY to be optimistic about. We might not be as defensively savvy (for 70 minutes) as that week-in, week-out and we might get beaten by 'lesser' teams than Manchester City, but we will get some decent results playing like that. City had a lot of possession, granted, but when you actually analyse what the did with it (or didn't do with it), those stats don't tell the story. Cut out the mistakes, realise where the club is and who they are up against and keep the organisation and these 'experts' could end up being proved wrong. Not that they will care one jot, of course...

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I think what is annoying about this is not the fact that they just said 'nah' but that it was so dismissive. They couldn't be bothered to expand on the point at all, why bother, who the f*** are BHA? Annoying but happy for it to continue. Under the radar and all that. :cool:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Honestly, what do they know about Brighton? If they say that they think we can stay up, they would need to qualify the statement. It's much easier for them to go with statistics!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Its the same for every person giving their opinion on us. They have little or no knowledge about our team. We may well be relegated, but these 'experts' are just going for the easy answer that doesnt require them to actually back it up with some sort of knowledge. If they said "brighton are going down because this, that, this" then I would be more inclined to listen.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

GL "So, Martin. I'll ask you this now, who do you think will win the world cup?"

Do National teams often buy new players a game or two into a World Cup finals tournament, then?

:jester:

The example above would also be a terrible answer. I'd be looking for analysis from Martin O'Neill about what - in his opinion - would give England the best chance of success, given the likelihood that they probably wouldn't actually win it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Can I just remind everyone from a quote by Steven Gerrard from the very same broadcast.

"I know it's only the first game of the season and they did show positive signs that they have got some organisation and I do rate Chris Hughton very much, but I think they need another 2 or 3 quality players to give them a chance"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

:D

Come on, don't you think they can do better than a straight yes or no? At least something like 'Unless they strengthen before the end of the transfer window, I think they're likely to go down', or 'I think they'll be fighting against clubs x y and z to avoid the drop'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can I just remind everyone from a quote by Steven Gerrard from the very same broadcast.

"I know it's only the first game of the season and they did show positive signs that they have got some organisation and I do rate Chris Hughton very much, but I think they need another 2 or 3 quality players to give them a chance"
That's more of an answer.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Seems fair enough criticism, I was happy with our organisation and work rate but we were overawed and as things stand we are unlikely to stay up. To balance it out Wright on MOTD said if we work that hard every match we would stay up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I agree, it was fair enough criticism. I also agree with Wright, I think we just need a pacey striker. Based on Saturday, I think Bruno will be fine for most of the season and Rosenior a more than adequate back up. I believe Dunk and Duffy are already premier league standard but Goldson and Hunemeirer as back ups, and again, I think they will step in fine when needed.. We have March and Knocky on the wings with Izquierdo joining us hopefully today. We have Murray and Gross who I don't think will look out of place in the premier league.

I'm not entirely sold on Maty Ryan. He had made some great saves, but it's like Stockdales' first season with us...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here