Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does the loyalty scheme now mean that the away fans club are a closed shop?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As someone in the first tier of tickets, I'm alright jack but it seems to me that the away fans "club" has as a result of the new scheme become a closed shop for which no one new will be able to access.

The previous away scheme was less about season ticket history, much more about tickets bought, especially away tickets.

This current scheme is heavily rewarding anyone with a long season ticket record together with away games gone to.

However whilst in the other scheme it was possible for a relatively new season ticket holder to break into the club I am struggling to see how a relatively newer season ticket holder will ever get there all the time we are in the Premier League.

With allocations always limited at 3,000, and a seemingly high demand from those currently in the high points, how can someone in the third tier of points ever get into the first or second tier. It just isn't possible is it?

So is that it, closed shop? Lovely for those in it, but rubbish for those just outside.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
As someone in the first tier of tickets, I'm alright jack but it seems to me that the away fans "club" has as a result of the new scheme become a closed shop for which no one new will be able to access.

The previous away scheme was less about season ticket history, much more about tickets bought, especially away tickets.

This current scheme is heavily rewarding anyone with a long season ticket record together with away games gone to.

However whilst in the other scheme it was possible for a relatively new season ticket holder to break into the club I am struggling to see how a relatively newer season ticket holder will ever get there all the time we are in the Premier League.

With allocations always limited at 3,000, and a seemingly high demand from those currently in the high points, how can someone in the third tier of points ever get into the first or second tier. It just isn't possible is it?

So is that it, closed shop? Lovely for those in it, but rubbish for those just outside.

Perhaps it will be, so long as we're in the Premier League. And rightly so, the people who have put the work in deserve the tickets. Were we to go down & come back up, others will have had a chance to break in to the 'club' as you call it.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
No, it doesn't.

May be difficult to get tickets for high profile games.

There will be plenty for lower profile games.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I understand the thread, but for Leicester, didn't this go past the first couple of tiers of purchase, maybe even general sale? I think there will be opportunities for a lot of the games.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I'm guessing the real losers will be those long term Albion fans who no longer live in the Brighton area, and so for whom a season ticket was never a viable option, but who could always look forward to seeing their team playing away from home in their neck of the woods. Sadly, with such high demand, someone is bound to lose out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I understand the thread, but for Leicester, didn't this go past the first couple of tiers of purchase, maybe even general sale? I think there will be opportunities for a lot of the games.

This....people will have to maybe put in some 'hard yards' to build up the away points but there'll be plenty of chances, particularly with the planned TV coverage.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There will be plenty for lower profile games.

What do you consider a lower profile game though? Leicester and Watford have sold quickly, Bournemouth on a Friday night on Sky (albeit low allocation) will too.

I guess Swansea on the 4th November and Huddersfield on the 9th December will be the first tests of whether a low profile game sells less quick. But by that stage the high pointers will have just got higher. If you're currently in the third tier I don't see how you will break into the second or first tier. I really don't. Even if one in three games go to the third tier or lower, that won't be enough for the third tier to start to catch up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No it isn't a closed shop. As you point out the "current scheme is heavily rewarding anyone with a long season ticket record together with away games gone to." First, this seems fair enough to me as it rewards the most loyal. But, the previous history element is a sliding scale so as time goes by my season ticket for this year becomes less and less value; so folk can catch me up over time as long as they stick at it.....which is only fair.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No it isn't a closed shop. As you point out the "current scheme is heavily rewarding anyone with a long season ticket record together with away games gone to." First, this seems fair enough to me as it rewards the most loyal. But, the previous history element is a sliding scale so as time goes by my season ticket for this year becomes less and less value; so folk can catch me up over time as long as they stick at it.....which is only fair.

But they can't catch you if they can't buy more tickets to more than a third of the away games can they (assuming you go to more than this that is)?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You could have bought a ticket for Leicester for a start. Despite being our first away game in the Premier League, tickets were available to all STHs.

I did thanks as I am in the first tier. This isn't about me missing out, I'm just highlighting an interesting point. I suspect the club are quite happy with it though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Leicester and Watford have sold quickly, Bournemouth on a Friday night on Sky (albeit low allocation) will too.

They appeared to, but there are still 5 Leicester tickets available right now! Watford was available into the 188 tier and may have even been available for the members only on +12.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was bored one evening and thought about this and worked through it. I concluded that as long as season tickets eventually become zero/negligible points it is possible. I'll find my arithmetic and report back.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I didn't mean you personally, it was a general 'you'.

I really don't see a problem. The system rewards a combination of season ticket longevity and away attendance in recent years, which is instantly fairer than any previous systems based on one or the other. The early evidence of Leicester and Watford also suggests that it is possible to get tickets to away matches and accumulate loyalty points, although this obviously won't be the case when we play the big clubs or visit a small stadium (Bournemouth). I just don't think there is huge demand to follow the Albion away apart from when the big games come round, at which time it is only fair to reward those who hold a season ticket and have a history of away attendance. What else can the club do?

I accept all of what you say, and it's interesting that people think I criticising this, I am not really. Just highlighting something that perhaps people were under the illusion of not seeing.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You could have bought a ticket for Leicester for a start. Despite being our first away game in the Premier League, tickets were available to all STHs.

As a ST holder I couldn't get a ticket due to a lack of points. I went to four away games last year and I've been a ST holder again since returning to the area a few years back. The people I go with who have been ST holders for much longer due to them always being in the area couldn't get them either due to a lack of points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here