Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does the loyalty scheme now mean that the away fans club are a closed shop?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I haven't been to an away game since forest away a few years ago to get into the play offs.

I have no idea about sth points even though I have had one since the last days at the goldstone.

I would hope to get one for spuds at Wembley as I can't believe it will only be 3000 away fans.

I have a few seasons under my belt where I attended every away game in the 70's through to the gillingham days. I am pragmatic now ...if I can't get one and town are playing close by I wil go and watch them with my brother who has now accumulated away points so can get more that two tickets per game. I may have to join the club data base but hey....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As someone in the first tier of tickets, I'm alright jack but it seems to me that the away fans "club" has as a result of the new scheme become a closed shop for which no one new will be able to access.

The previous away scheme was less about season ticket history, much more about tickets bought, especially away tickets.

This current scheme is heavily rewarding anyone with a long season ticket record together with away games gone to.

However whilst in the other scheme it was possible for a relatively new season ticket holder to break into the club I am struggling to see how a relatively newer season ticket holder will ever get there all the time we are in the Premier League.

With allocations always limited at 3,000, and a seemingly high demand from those currently in the high points, how can someone in the third tier of points ever get into the first or second tier. It just isn't possible is it?

So is that it, closed shop? Lovely for those in it, but rubbish for those just outside.

For me personally and my own choice, I'm on the outside.
I just try and get tickets when I'm available to go and watch the Albion (no fishing intended).
Whether you're a long time fan or JCL, it's first come first served, that's life.
Because Albion have taken that big leap from the Championship to PL, the doors opened a bit wider, which means that there's more limelight involved.
So as for me, I'm happy at the moment to enjoy the ride and watch the Albion when I can :)

PS: I have enrolled as a Watford, Chelsea and Spurs fan, for back up purposes, if you understand :wink:

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
The novelty of the premier league is about playing the big boys and its right the high loyalty points tiers get those tickets. Being lower down the pecking order, I'm not chasing loyalty points to watch current premier league teams that could easily be in the Chamionship in future seasons. This season, my away matches will consist of paying over the odds for tickets, not being in the away section and not building up my LP tally!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Didn't see anyone moaning last season.....Wonder why?

Bit unfair. I can't justify/afford a season ticket so I tend to choose one game a month on average- can be home or away.

I've done this regardless of position. I saw more games in the season we came close to relegation than any other in recent times.

There will be few away games I can attend now which is really sad for me as I look forward to the odd treat- wherever it is. Still, I'll hold out hope that a fixture like Stoke City away doesn't appeal to some. I've seen football at about 80 away grounds but that one always eludes me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Still on a positive note this is fairer than AMS (old change for those who attended Withdean will know what this means).

I think this system is better at awarding those that attend

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Bit unfair. I can't justify/afford a season ticket so I tend to choose one game a month on average- can be home or away.

I've done this regardless of position. I saw more games in the season we came close to relegation than any other in recent times.

There will be few away games I can attend now which is really sad for me as I look forward to the odd treat- wherever it is. Still, I'll hold out hope that a fixture like Stoke City away doesn't appeal to some. I've seen football at about 80 away grounds but that one always eludes me.

I'd have thought anyone who wants one will get tickets for Huddersfield, Newcastle, Stoke, Burnley tbh. Maybe Swansea too.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'd have thought anyone who wants one will get tickets for Huddersfield, Newcastle, Stoke, Burnley tbh. Maybe Swansea too.

Yes. It'll be Stoke City. Perhaps Swansea City (saw us at the Vetch Field one Friday night). I've been to Huddersfield and Newcastle. Last went to Burnley in 1993 for a Nogan inspired victory. Love to go to Everton- but so does everyone. Most grounds I've not been to are in this league. I've gone to Port Vale a few times but never Arsenal..

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Leicester tickets went on sale to all STHs at 9am on 25th July. The match didn't sell out until that afternoon, so you and your friends had at least one day where you had enough points and tickets were available.

We tried buying at 9am and were told there were no more tickets. Either way, the points system stopped me getting one earlier like others.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would be great if they held a small number of golden tickets back each match - 250 maybe? - to be put in a raffle so everyone had a miniscule chance of a ticket.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
An awful lot of us in this boat I'm afraid. I had a ST for both Gillingham years and 15.5 out of the 17 seasons at Withdean and the Amex. Plus every 'home game' is effectively an away game as I don't live in Sussex. I also do about 5-6 away games. Anymore of that and I'd be divorced! But that 1.5 seasons as a non STH put me back of the queue or as good as. Can I get away tickets this season? Very very difficult. I'm not eligible before they all go. But there are other means....anyone starting out supporting the Albion (listen up kids!), my advice is to 'network' and I don't just mean Albion fans! I know I'm going to get offered things through business by others who know I'm Brighton nuts (inc. when we were shit, that's actually what people recall!), all those pestering ex-colleagues and associates to sign petitions etc is finally paying off. For example, I got taken to Liverpool in the cup when I couldn't get Albion tickets. Ended up meeting Jimmy Case and having free hospitality without even paying for tickets. The kindness of relative strangers and all that. Now, that's not always the case. But you'll be amazed at how prepared people are to sort you out some tickets by just asking - we're not exactly top draw and plenty of people with ST's at other clubs won't be able to go and will be happy to offer theirs providing you're not a dick in home area. It's the way football has gone and ST culture is at the root cause. But it can be played the other way. Arsenal always declare 60k attendant but there'll be several thousand STH's not attending the Albion game, dotted all around the Emirates. Just gotta find 'em and strike lucky!

Fortunately I'm not desperate to see us play at most of the Premier grounds because I've seen us play in practically everyone before in years gone by, pre-Sky hype basically when anyone get in! So I'm happy to let the younger fans go and enjoy ahead of me. The only thing I dislike is corporate fans WHO ARE STILL WORKING OUT WHO THE TEAM IN BLUE AND WHITE ARE! (i.e. not those who have seen us through thick and thin as many have) getting ahead of me by virtue of affording more expensive Amex tickets for 2 or 3 seasons max. But again, this is just the way it is...and something's 'ill never change. So stand in line, marking time. Dem Rich 'ave always crapped on the Poor. Always have. Always will. :)

Your last paragraph is a crock shite mate. :shrug:

That you for that intelligent remark. What exactly are you on about btw?

I will explain what I'm on about, its the constant jibe on here about corporate fans, we all know that every club has a small proportion of these.

I myself was a season ticket holder at the Goldstone went to Gillingham on numerous occasions and Withdean, I now have to travel 120 miles to home matches this is not a complaint.

I confess I didn't purchase a season ticket at the Amex until two seasons ago but I went to enough home and away games prior to accrue a decent number of membership points which are useless under this scheme.

I am now and have been for the last season a 1901 member and I would say 95% of people in my lounge have been supporting the Albion all their lives they are not corporate.

I do find it strange how people are so ill informed about 1901 members, yes we are lucky to be in a position in our lives where we are able to afford over double the price of a North Stand season ticket but corporate really.

I have mentioned this in the past on other threads 1901 members have to make a commitment of 5yrs regardless of which league we are in, STH only commit to 1yr.

I think the new Loyalty point scheme is a fairer way of allocating tickets but it will not please all,

as a 1901 member under this seasons scheme I also will not have accrued enough points to be able to attend some of the games this season.

People on here at times still adopt the them and us attitude its very sad. I do appreciate your comment in the i.e though. :)

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There have been loads of LCFC tickets on various social media platforms for sale at face value in the away end, noticed another four or five this morning.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I really don't think there's much of an issue here. Yes Leicester was in fairly high demand being our first away game in the top flight for 34 years but still possible for most to get a ticket. There will be a few this season where it is harder but we don't have the fan base to create this closed shop that is being spoken about and I reckon by next season, whichever division we are in, it'll be fairly easy for anyone who wants one to get a ticket.

There have been loads of LCFC tickets on various social media platforms for sale at face value in the away end, noticed another four or five this morning.

Very brave given the club's dire warnings!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here