Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rail fares increase

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is why I choose to drive to London rather than get the train. It's quicker and cheaper to drive.

is it really, or are you missing out some costs and time? when i do the sums train beats car depreciation+insurance+fuel+parking by some margin. haven't driven much in rush hour but weekends use to take best part of 2 hours from SE1/SE16 to coast unless dead of night.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If the train companies don't get you, then the utility companies will, or the council tax will. Or more likely all three.

company's costs (materials, wages, etc) increase due to inflation, so they increase their prices. due to increased prices, inflation rises. thus it ever was, in a vicious cycle, unless the economy is tanking.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brighton council collected £29M in parking fees alone in the last year.

£20.3m actually - a surplus of £12.69m. That can't be spent on general budget but only on transport. In fact, more than 90% goes on pensioners' bus passes. Not quite sure what your point is: are you saying that the council should put up parking charges to reduce council tax? Not sure that would be very popular

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
£20.3m actually - a surplus of £12.69m. That can't be spent on general budget but only on transport. In fact, more than 90% goes on pensioners' bus passes. Not quite sure what your point is: are you saying that the council should put up parking charges to reduce council tax? Not sure that would be very popular

No, and it wasn't last December's figures I heard this morning. I can't find a link to back it up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No, and it wasn't last December's figures I heard this morning. I can't find a link to back it up.

You mean the RAC's report claiming £28.7m? They're for 2015/16, the same period that's covered in the Brighton report. The RAC's figure is estimated though, the council's own figures are going to be more accurate.

But the actual amount is irrelevant, whether the surplus is £12m or £15m, it's being used to cover statutory transport costs - which have to be met, whether through council tax or parking charges.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
is it really, or are you missing out some costs and time? when i do the sums train beats car depreciation+insurance+fuel+parking by some margin. haven't driven much in rush hour but weekends use to take best part of 2 hours from SE1/SE16 to coast unless dead of night.

For me it's considerably cheaper. I can park at work for free and as I work in Canary Wharf I don't have to pay the congestion charge. It's about £12 a day in diesel and 1hr 15m from Burgess Hill. My new car averages over 60mpg. A yearly train and tube ticket I believe is in the region of 5k a year now. The car blows public transport out of the water. PLus for the days I work at home i've not already paid for a train ticket. The depreciation I will suffer anyway because I need a car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here