Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now we're Premier League have you rethought your opinion on......

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I suppose it's no revelation but looking round the ground on Saturday, and all the media attention, made me realise what a huge machine the league is. So little of it is the actual football, it's all branding, rights, tv, adverts, transfer 'news'. It's all just money, money, money and it will surely one day cease. Especially with tv viewing figures nosediving of late. We're inside the belly of this evil machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

For something that's 'bleeding to death', it seems extraordinarily healthy. TV figures 'nosediving' is a huge exaggeration and takes no account of the worldwide interest in the Premier League. The media attention is driven by a demand for one of the most successful exports this country has ever created. I'm not a huge fan of the 'corporate-ness' of football at the top level, but the sport was absolutely dying on its arse for most of the 1980s before the Premier League made it an attractive enough package to attract serious money. The good outweighs the bad overall. The fact that football itself has not held firm and channeled that money sensibly rather than pouring it into the pockets of agents and players is the problem. If I give you £100 and you spunk the lot on champagne, is that my fault?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I suppose it's no revelation but looking round the ground on Saturday, and all the media attention, made me realise what a huge machine the league is. So little of it is the actual football, it's all branding, rights, tv, adverts, transfer 'news'. It's all just money, money, money and it will surely one day cease. Especially with tv viewing figures nosediving of late. We're inside the belly of this evil machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

It's still BHA in 90 minutes of football on a piece of grass. That does it for me.

As for all the peripheral stuff, I'll choose what interests me and ignore the rest.

We all have control of the on/off button of our TVs, etc.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This will make me sound very naive but oh well: I'm still rooting for the underdogs. Nothing I like more than seeing one of the big boys on the wrong end of a result. It may make our situation slightly tougher in the long run but I'd rather we survive on our own merit instead of relying on three other teams being slightly more shit than us.
Not naive, I think those are admirable sentiments and I too hope we stay up due to our own efforts - but seeing our rivals lose will play a part. You might just have to hold your nose.

At the start of the day I definitely felt like you, then it was like: "Ha ha, Burnley are three up at Chelsea! ....... Oh shit, Burnley are three up at Chelsea!"

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've been surprised at quite how big it is. The media attention is never ending.

I've also firmed up my view that the money tree can not possibly go on forever and a big crash at some point is inevitable. At that stage some big clubs may go under, some other clubs may benefit. I hope we are in the latter.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Still hasn't sunk that we are Premier League
I looked at Saturday as a FA Cup game and I reckon it will take a few more home games before it does sink in as it's been so long since we seen top teams every week playing us

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
......anything that you previously had a strong viewpoint on the other way.

In line with the TWO threads about the transfer window shutting early does your opinion on this feel different now than it would have been if we were in the Championship?

Another example I noticed as did [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] on FB is no longer wanting the underdog to win PL matches. I was behind Arsenal v Leicester, wanted Liverpool to beat Watford and annoyed that Burnley won. We could be competing with any of these 3 this season.

Or, how would you want us to vote if it was proposed (and it hasn't been, this is hypothetical) that the PL become a closed shop after this season with the current 20 members staying put and no promotion or relegation?

In short has being PL changed your mindset and, if so, what on?

I have some sympathy with the "don't want the minnows to win" idea, which has changed, but nothing else has.

The idea of the Premier league as a closed shop is awful........ whether we were in it or not.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I looked at Saturday as a FA Cup game and I reckon it will take a few more home games before it does sink in as it's been so long since we seen top teams every week playing us

It hit me on Saturday morning looking at the match preview in the paper, with the Man City team having such names as Silva, De Bruyne, Aguero, Jesus, Kompany......

I know all the others get the real plaudits, but I rate Kompany extremely highly....... but he is getting a bit old.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

There are so many clubs that I don't see as Premier League though

Bournemouth, Palace, Burnley, Huddersfield, Stoke and West Brom ( yes I know they've been there for years), Watford, Swansea and Leicester.

So many, what I consider bigger clubs, in the Championship.

The big six games will be special though, with absolutely no expectation. Once we have our striker situation sorted and the new players bedded in, we may surprise a few.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We are in the top 10 for so many different factors that will see us establish ourselves as a big club.
Elite training facilities
Amount of money we earn on a matchday due to hospitality
Size of fan base

It's all looking good longterm

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Don't like the idea of a closed shop at all, but I believe that we will effectively get that, as a PL2 is established. Possibly with 2 PL divisions of 18 teams to reduce games to 34 all at weekend with all cup games midweek.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I did feel some disappointment on Saturday with the results that went in favour of other teams likely to struggle to get to 50 points this season. Am happy to see the top 6 win each of their games especially against the bottom 5 or 6 sides.

Changing the closure of the transfer window won't help newly promoted sides like us as we currently get a few matches to take a decent look at our squad. Also the rest of Europe closes at the end of Aug and giving them extra time to establish their squads will surely give them an advantage.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Don't like the idea of a closed shop at all, but I believe that we will effectively get that, as a PL2 is established. Possibly with 2 PL divisions of 18 teams to reduce games to 34 all at weekend with all cup games midweek.

As far as I can remember, the Premier League stance on relegation has always been unwavering - that it is an essential part of our game, and thankfully they appear to fully understand that having a competitive league is absolutely pivotal to its appeal worldwide. Of course, it could be a lot more competitive - but having even 6 clubs vying for honours at the top is a triumph compared to pretty much every other country. The big clubs would love to keep all the money for themselves so we're lucky the current set-up has been so successful financially as it's staved off a breakaway for the last 25 years. End the principle of joint TV rights and the current inequality would become a chasm. Those that talk about doing away with relegation tend to be the clubs, not the League itself. Bolton and Stoke spring to mind in the past, hoping to pull up the drawbridge and protect their positions.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Fair enough but Sky must be worried by a 30% drop in viewing figures last year. BT also reported miniscule numbers for CL which suggests it might not be just prem - it could be tv football in general not resonating anymore. If (when) it wobbles a lot of clubs will be screwed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now we're Premier League have you rethought your opinion on......
......anything that you previously had a strong viewpoint on the other way.
No. You turn if you want to. The lady's not for turning.

Or, how would you want us to vote if it was proposed (and it hasn't been, this is hypothetical) that the PL become a closed shop after this season with the current 20 members staying put and no promotion or relegation?
Football would be dead to me if that happened.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Transfer window - I have always felt it should end at the start of the season

ABMANU - (anybody but manu") and the others in the top six, has definitely changed. I even had a very very small ting of disappointment that Palace wasn't nil nil on Saturday.
Yes 0-0 would have been much better for us, but Palace getting stuffed at home by the "underdogs" put a much bigger smile on my face than a draw would have done.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the premier league clubs voted for a closed shop I would hope that the FA would have some way of preventing it - by withdrawing permission to play football under FA rules for example?
You'd hope so, but the FA are worthless *****. What's more likely, is that we'll all go on a march. I'd hope that thousands of fans from all clubs would descend on London. I'm raring to go at the thought of it. Been a while since we had a good march.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great question. Definitely looking for those teams I expect to be around us at the end of the season to be losing, but I can't quite go as far as wanting the likes of Man U and Chelsea to win........however much it will help us. Will be interesting to see how things look after half a dozen games.

As [MENTION=4381]elwheelio[/MENTION] indicates, it was only on Saturday that the magnitude of the PL really hit me. I've been to several PL games before, but seeing all the guff at the Amex where we're not used to it was a actually a bit surreal - for example we get a good view of our players warming up from our seats, but this was half-obscured by TV gear and pre-match presenting going on. The number of TV trucks in the car park was staggering. Drones. The number of cameras filming the game. I also watched the full match back again on TV on Sunday......still seemed surreal then (the atmosphere was easily better than any of the other PL TV games I've seen this season)

I don't see things crashing and burning for a long time yet. It's still growing in newer markets like India and China where the populations (and advertising revenue) are enormous.

Knowing roughly where you were I was almost going to send you a message to find out who was at that desk and why they had a PL trophy there. I couldn't quite figure out who they were (was it NBC Sports) – maybe that explains my 'confused' look from the TV coverage :lol:

Totally agree with it being surreal – it many ways they were small changes, but also it was a million miles away from life in the Championship. I've watched the first half back so far – plenty of room for optimism, for me. Especially with Propper. I know he's had a pasting for giving the ball away, but he made a couple of decent runs on the rare occasion he got the ball and managed to keep hold of it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Knowing roughly where you were I was almost going to send you a message to find out who was at that desk and why they had a PL trophy there. I couldn't quite figure out who they were (was it NBC Sports) – maybe that explains my 'confused' look from the TV coverage :lol:

Totally agree with it being surreal – it many ways they were small changes, but also it was a million miles away from life in the Championship. I've watched the first half back so far – plenty of room for optimism, for me. Especially with Propper. I know he's had a pasting for giving the ball away, but he made a couple of decent runs on the rare occasion he got the ball and managed to keep hold of it.

It was Graham Le Saux - he summarises/presents for NBC. Lampard and Gerrard were also there (down near the SWC I think with the BT setup), as was Hoddle (presumably in the multifaith prayer room [emoji23])

Horrible grainy pic from my phone but you can see Le Saux on the far left.

1399133c00c6d7749fdcc6cb45321455.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here