Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

Now we're Premier League have you rethought your opinion on......

1 Not allowed!
    ......anything that you previously had a strong viewpoint on the other way.

In line with the TWO threads about the transfer window shutting early does your opinion on this feel different now than it would have been if we were in the Championship?

Another example I noticed as did @Easy 10 on FB is no longer wanting the underdog to win PL matches. I was behind Arsenal v Leicester, wanted Liverpool to beat Watford and annoyed that Burnley won. We could be competing with any of these 3 this season.

Or, how would you want us to vote if it was proposed (and it hasn't been, this is hypothetical) that the PL become a closed shop after this season with the current 20 members staying put and no promotion or relegation?

In short has being PL changed your mindset and, if so, what on?
    Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

7 Not allowed!
      I'm with you on point one but the idea of the PL becoming a closed shop is awful.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakero View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm with you on point one but the idea of the PL becoming a closed shop is awful.
      100% this

It would kill gates for the bottom 14.
      "WINNERS FIND ANSWERS. PROMOTION CANDIDATES FIND THEIR SOLUTIONS. BRIGHTON HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER TONIGHT" Sky Sports commentator after Glen Murray scored 94th minute at Birmingham. 17.12.2016

6 Not allowed!
      I suppose it's no revelation but looking round the ground on Saturday, and all the media attention, made me realise what a huge machine the league is. So little of it is the actual football, it's all branding, rights, tv, adverts, transfer 'news'. It's all just money, money, money and it will surely one day cease. Especially with tv viewing figures nosediving of late. We're inside the belly of this evil machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.
      “You can always come back, but you can’t come back all the way.”

0 Not allowed!
      Nothing really changed for me, still love to see liverpool and tottenham lose, or fail to win, even more so if it's a small club that does it.

Transfer window, meh, there will still be ridiculous hype about it, if they want to make a change then close it before the season starts, but keep it open till Xmas for the teams that got promoted who've not been in the league for say five seasons, gives them a chance to analyse the league and understand what they need to compete.

As for the closed shop, no, don't ever want to see that, and hopefully the clubs will vote accordingly should they be asked to, there's way too much history in our league system to throw it out.
      Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      For clarity I would never be in favour of a closed shop either - just wondered if anyone else would.
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      For clarity I would never be in favour of a closed shop either - just wondered if anyone else would.
      I imagine pretty well all the current Premier League clubs would, much like the Bolton chairman a few years ago.

Maybe the top six would feel secure enough not to want to keep the same teams year in year out though. Three up and three down is great for the publicity and retaining interest thoug I imagine. Actually I know it having seen the media hype around us in the last month.
      Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come

0 Not allowed!
      If the premier league clubs voted for a closed shop I would hope that the FA would have some way of preventing it - by withdrawing permission to play football under FA rules for example?
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Definitely stopped supporting underdogs. In previous seasons I'd have laughed like a drain at Chelsea losing at home to Burnley, this season I'm disappointed that one of our relegation rivals picked up three unexpected points. And bloody Liverpool let us down.

And I haven't cheered a third Man U goal since 1968 against Benfica.

EDIT: I'm still totally opposed to the idea of a closed shop though.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakero View Post

I've said this before, but I can see a time (in the mid- to long-term and if things stay as they are) where there are 17 permanent PL clubs and six others that alternate between the Championship and the PL. The rich clubs will continue to get richer and (although it doesn't happen as often as people think) the relegated clubs will bounce back at the first time of asking because they have the extra money. But then they will be at a disadvantage because they haven't got as much power as the other 17 they are going up against the following seasons.

I know it's not all about money, but the divide between the two divisions is huge and is only going to become more apparent as time goes on.