Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transfer Window shutters BEFORE season starts - proposal

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The day before whose season starts? Different leagues have different start times. I think La Liga starts on 20th August so Barcelona could still buy Coutinho up to the 19th but Liverpool wouldn't be able to buy a replacement!

It's always been the same. Big clubs poach best players from smaller clubs, even when the window closed in March. Liverpool wouldn't worry about Southampton if they signed Van Dijk on the final minute of the transfer window.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The day before whose season starts? Different leagues have different start times. I think La Liga starts on 20th August so Barcelona could still buy Coutinho up to the 19th but Liverpool wouldn't be able to buy a replacement!

It's always been the same. Big clubs poach best players from smaller clubs, even when the window closed in March. Liverpool wouldn't worry about Southampton if they signed Van Dijk on the final minute of the transfer window.

The proposal is to reduce the number of players sitting out the early rounds of League matches due to potential domestic moves. Overseas moves are less likely to take until the end of the transfer window to complete as clubs need to get international clearance, the Coutino saga being an exception.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's an obvious and good idea but with major flaws. As it's a World Cup year, I'd be surprised if it gets off the ground for next season. The very top players will roll straight from the domestic campaign into international football and at the end of that get a couple of weeks break before it's back to the Premier League. It's usually pretty quiet on the transfer front during major tournaments, so squeezing in all transfers either side won't be an attractive option.

The other huge problem is that the window will still be open for European clubs after our season has started. So, let's say our new Colombian has a fantastic year. At the end of July, he's still our player and star man. 1 week into August, a Champions League side overseas piles in with a huge transfer fee and he wants to go. We're left with little option but to sell, and are not allowed to sign anyone to replace him. Disastrous.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The proposal is to reduce the number of players sitting out the early rounds of League matches due to potential domestic moves. Overseas moves are less likely to take until the end of the transfer window to complete as clubs need to get international clearance, the Coutino saga being an exception.

Well that's not how I interpret that piece!

If the clubs are worried about the 'integrity of the league' then get rid of the January window as well except under exceptional circumstances.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Won't affect us next year anyway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think UEFA need to try and establish common rules for all top divisions in each member state:

1. One window for all.
2. One season start date.
3. One season end date.

I'd like to see window close 31 Aug, season start 01 Sep, season over by 31 May. June, July and August no domestic league football - let the players have guaranteed 3 months rest, let people enjoy the summer with their families and let people enjoy other sports like cricket. The football in the sun you lose in August you get back in May by letting the domestic season run on a bit.

You'd also delay the major tournaments by 2 weeks to accommodate this change.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's an obvious and good idea but with major flaws. As it's a World Cup year, I'd be surprised if it gets off the ground for next season. The very top players will roll straight from the domestic campaign into international football and at the end of that get a couple of weeks break before it's back to the Premier League. It's usually pretty quiet on the transfer front during major tournaments, so squeezing in all transfers either side won't be an attractive option.

The other huge problem is that the window will still be open for European clubs after our season has started. So, let's say our new Colombian has a fantastic year. At the end of July, he's still our player and star man. 1 week into August, a Champions League side overseas piles in with a huge transfer fee and he wants to go. We're left with little option but to sell, and are not allowed to sign anyone to replace him. Disastrous.

This and exactly why it won't work unless they standardise the calendar across Europe at least.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

They're talking about clubs not being able to sell or buy players in order to avoid situations like that. All it means is that if Barca want Coutinho it has to be done before the season starts rather than Liverpool not being able to play their player for the first 4-5 games of the season. Nothing unreasonable in that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They're talking about clubs not being able to sell or buy players in order to avoid situations like that. All it means is that if Barca want Coutinho it has to be done before the season starts rather than Liverpool not being able to play their player for the first 4-5 games of the season. Nothing unreasonable in that.

Sorry but I don't think that is the case. The EP starts a week before La Liga and who knows when all the other leagues start. If this rule was introduced it wouldn't stop Barca signing Coutinho as their window would shut later than ours. It would definitely prevent Liverpool buying a player though although I believe they could sign a free agent but then which quality players are free agents!

As for players missing domestic games, that is down to the club. They can play them if they want but unlikely to be good if they have been pissed off by being refused a move or due to extended negotiations.

This isn't about losing key players for a couple of games, it's about losing a key player for the rest of the season!

Double standards as bigger clubs have always poached players from small clubs. They just don't like it when it's done to them.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It would surely push up prices as players will still be able to join other European Leagues after the PL transfer window closes, meaning we will end up paying a premium to get players to commit earlier.

Also, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a challenge on this around employment rights and potential loss of earnings due to limiting when a player can move to and play for a new club (if they are a European citizen) And reducing the window further may prompt a challenge? (& yes i know it's got to be balanced with the attempt to stop other clubs from sabotaging rivals by signing their best players just before they play them, etc)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

That's not how the Telegraph, among others, reported the plan: "Under the proposed new rules it is understood that English top-flight clubs will be permitted to sell players to clubs in other countries, but transfer deals from one Premier League club to another are to be off limits when the season starts."

I suppose foreign clubs would be keen to get their business done before the English season starts knowing clubs would be hugely reluctant to sell after that so it might have some useful effect. But it had better be an absolutely watertight plan bearing in mind these players can afford the very best lawyers in the business and might think about getting them involved if they're denied their 'dream move' to one of Europe's superclubs.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here