Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How on earth can £37.4 mllion be spent on not building a bridge?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Magic money tree given a shake by the Tories again , useless unbuilt bridge and Hunt's £44k shitter the latest examples

And if it had been done privately, they could have not built it for far less cash (and people want more public spending and the extremely overpriced public works that go with it, spending more and more taxpayers money on projects that could be delivered privately at a fraction of the cost and actually contribute to the public coffers rather than drain it)

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Have you read the report then ?

Here is a snippet for you :)

Yes. So, no estimate for how much the final bill will be, just a yearly cost. No estimate on how much the bridge will make per year. I am not saying this was a good idea as I had no idea about it or the costs but when you get so far down the line, you either cut your losses or continue. As there are no projected costs, we can't answer that, so just politician's point scoring at the cost to tax payers. As I said tossers and I mean all of them.

Edit. Removed the snippet, have you?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's called contracting out. A lot of public money is paid out to wealthy people so they can pay (just a little bit) of tax on it.

As somebody has said, there's too many friggin' 'legacy' projects around London. Pull down Wembley, the Olympic stadium and the Millenium Dome and replace them with decent affordable housing estates, complete with a mandatory complement of shops, schools, GP surgeries and a pub or two. England can play their international matches round the country like they did while Wembley was being built (a much better arrangement) and West Ham will have to pay Leyton Orient a decent wedge to groundshare with them. Then they can scrap the mayors as well!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was a really odd idea cooked by Joanna Lumley bizarrely and an architect friend. Sorry but complete luvvy vanity project that came of the blue. I'm sure Boris wanted to leave his mark on London beyond the bikes which weren't his idea anyway.

The Mayor (and I'm making a political point) has made a very rare and brave decision for the public sector.
Pull the plug now before it spirals put of control and London is lumbered with maintain a bridge it didn't need.

Remember the Dome was a Tory idea but New Labour were infected with the vanity and built it anyway at huge public expense. Khan to his credit has acted different. He has saved millions not wasted it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes. So, no estimate for how much the final bill will be, just a yearly cost. No estimate on how much the bridge will make per year. I am not saying this was a good idea as I had no idea about it or the costs but when you get so far down the line, you either cut your losses or continue. As there are no projected costs, we can't answer that, so just politician's point scoring at the cost to tax payers. As I said tossers and I mean all of them.

Edit. Removed the snippet, have you?

Haven't removed anything ?

Khan commissioned a report. The report recommended stop whilst exposing some very worrying facts regarding the procurement process.

Problem is London has had quite a few very expensive vanity projects gone wrong, we don't need another one.

I was talking about tonight with a friend. If the money was there what be the priorities for London. We came up with two.

1) Build houses
2) Pedestrianise Oxford Street.

I was walking down there today. Really bad pavements and some shocking new architecture. Line the middle with trees and benches, allow independent traders to set up stalls etc... Now that WOULD be an improvement to London.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Haven't removed anything ?

Khan commissioned a report. The report recommended stop whilst exposing some very worrying facts regarding the procurement process.

Problem is London has had quite a few very expensive vanity projects gone wrong, we don't need another one.

I was talking about tonight with a friend. If the money was there what be the priorities for London. We came up with two.

1) Build houses
2) Pedestrianise Oxford Street.

I was walking down there today. Really bad pavements and some shocking new architecture. Line the middle with trees and benches, allow independent traders to set up stalls etc... Now that WOULD be an improvement to London.

There is no snippet that you mention about..

Anyway, I agree with both your points about houses and pedestrianise Oxford St. I would think that would be a really good idea for Oxford St.

Edit. Just seen your snippet, strange, did not see it before. No proof that I have seen, so most likely point scoring anyway.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Politics. Labour Mayor appoints Labour MP to review previous Tory Mayor's project = cancel it.

The Mayor will probably come up with a new legacy project, coincidentally Big Ben is about to have a major facelift ...

2357742947.jpg

... could prove controversial. :angel:

and..... no thumbs up..... :bounce::shrug:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There is no snippet that you mention about..

Anyway, I agree with both your points about houses and pedestrianise Oxford St. I would think that would be a really good idea for Oxford St.

Edit. Just seen your snippet, strange, did not see it before. No proof that I have seen, so most likely point scoring anyway.

Fake News :) eh ?

No proof YOU have seen. A report undertaken by a respected public servant who has included in her report that Boris Johnson refused to cooperate.

You have no evidence of that and therefore can't be true ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I love the fact that you're all here moaning about it after you all voted for it

:angel:

Unless you live in London you didn't vote for it.

Fascinating people just starting to realise what a waste of space the government is

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

This wasn't a government project - it was a Mayor of London project.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was a really odd idea cooked by Joanna Lumley bizarrely and an architect friend. Sorry but complete luvvy vanity project that came of the blue. I'm sure Boris wanted to leave his mark on London beyond the bikes which weren't his idea anyway.

The Mayor (and I'm making a political point) has made a very rare and brave decision for the public sector.
Pull the plug now before it spirals put of control and London is lumbered with maintain a bridge it didn't need.

Remember the Dome was a Tory idea but New Labour were infected with the vanity and built it anyway at huge public expense. Khan to his credit has acted different. He has saved millions not wasted it.

Absolutely this.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I take it nobody has walked the high line in New York... big tourist attraction and beautiful. But hey, doesn't matter who you support, they are all happy to waste millions already spent on a good idea just to try and win a point. ****ing politicians, all liars and all self seeking tossers on the take any way they can.

Sorry, but comparing this with the High Line is totally ridiculous.

That was the redevelopment of a disused railway track going through what used to be a pretty dodgy part of New York. It is now a lovely well maintained walk and serves a genuine benefit in a city where open spaces at a premium. It has helped to convert the area in somewhere much more pleasant and the Meatpackers is now a destination part of the city because of it.

No one had to build a bloody bridge across a stretch of water and London has far more open spaces than midtown Manhattan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agree with the earlier poster. It's a scorching waste of funds already spent but best to stop it now. No point throwing good money after bad. Yes, some fatcats will have got rich on it so far but the ongoing costs of construction and maintenance will have had a few greedy company directors running their hands together. The halting of their cash cow gives me some comfort.
The UK needs affordable housing and an overhaul of it's infrastructure, not fortunes spent on modern day follies. Lumley and her chums may have have been looking forward to strolling across the bridge and admiring the flora, others would have been bedding down underneath it due to lack of housing.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
According to Dick cost us >£10m before we got the green light on Falmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here