Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton Bought by Chinese investors

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I genuinely have no idea why people invest vast sums of money into football clubs. Especially at Premier league level, especially if as expected there isn't a vast increase in TV revenue from the next round of negotiations for the new tv deal.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If Southampton are worth £260m (if 80% of the value is £210m) then how come Ashley values Newcastle at £400m? Surely, Southampton are better established PL club, one with an excellent academy - one of the best in the country. Perhaps El Pres or one the accountants on here can tell me why Newcastle is worth more, because I can't see it

I did a valuation of all the EPL clubs a few months ago, based on their most recent financials, using a reasonably good model. It doesn't take into account the latest TV deal, and assumes continued existence in the EPL, but is valid if you think the club is going to continue in the top flight.

Ashley values the Toon at a higher figure because the club generates more profit than the Saints. That's born out by the model. It doesn't take into consideration the reduced risk of survival as a result of paying lower wages though.

PL Markham II Valuations.JPG

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I did a valuation of all the EPL clubs a few months ago, based on their most recent financials, using a reasonably good model. It doesn't take into account the latest TV deal, and assumes continued existence in the EPL, but is valid if you think the club is going to continue in the top flight.

Ashley values the Toon at a higher figure because the club generates more profit than the Saints. That's born out by the model. It doesn't take into consideration the reduced risk of survival as a result of paying lower wages though.

View attachment 88235

View attachment 88235

That yellow is a bit bright this late :cool:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I genuinely have no idea why people invest vast sums of money into football clubs. Especially at Premier league level, especially if as expected there isn't a vast increase in TV revenue from the next round of negotiations for the new tv deal.

Its a status symbol. The Chinese in particular get a raging hard-on over public shows of financial clout.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Thanks for that. Of course, the next season I imagine Newcastle's profits would have been a lot lower as they'd have been in the Championship but it's a bit of an eye opener as to how much profit Toon makes,

Surprised at Southampton's profits being so low though. Surely they must make good money on their deals: they either produce through their academy or buy low, sell high.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thanks for that. Of course, the next season I imagine Newcastle's profits would have been a lot lower as they'd have been in the Championship but it's a bit of an eye opener as to how much profit Toon makes,

Surprised at Southampton's profits being so low though. Surely they must make good money on their deals: they either produce through their academy or buy low, sell high.

It's a valuation model rather than a list of profits. Takes into account wage control, profitability, income and excess capacity.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So on the one hand there's less influence from the Liebherr family, who had good local business links because they manufactured most of the cranes used at Southampton docks. But on the other, more investment.

So on the whole a bit sweet and sour.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

View attachment 88235

The one that jumps out at me there is West Ham. Why are they so low?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I did a valuation of all the EPL clubs a few months ago, based on their most recent financials, using a reasonably good model.
Some of the positions won't make sense to a lot of us laymen. What sort of factors put a team like Everton so far below Leicester?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some of the positions won't make sense to a lot of us laymen. What sort of factors put a team like Everton so far below Leicester?
Ancient (but lovely) old ground and recent lack of exposure to success unlike Leicester's title? Don't forget, football only started after Everton last won the league.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The one that jumps out at me there is West Ham. Why are they so low?

They don't own the stadium, profits aren't great and had quite a lot of debt. Figures based on 2015/16 accounts so I'd expect a big jump for WHU when I do the update next spring when new accounts out.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Everton lost a lot of money in 2015/16, Leicester boosted by winning EPL which generated more broadcasting income and prize money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here