Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thai Food

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A Thai take away has opened in Haywards Heath that has a branch in Kemp Town called Kemp Thai and also one opened in Leylands Rd Burgess Hill called Baan Thai. Has anybody visited either and can give me some hints as the food sounds very nice but I have never eaten Thai food so completely lost. How do the curries compare to Indian or Chinese. What is the equivalent of a Chinese Chow Mein, which wife likes?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
A Thai take away has opened in Haywards Heath that has a branch in Kemp Town called Kemp Thai and also one opened in Leylands Rd Burgess Hill called Baan Thai. Has anybody visited either and can give me some hints as the food sounds very nice but I have never eaten Thai food so completely lost. How do the curries compare to Indian or Chinese. What is the equivalent of a Chinese Chow Mein, which wife likes?

Don't rate them at all. They are sweet based ie coconut. If you have a sweet tooth then you should be fine. Nothing beats a hot Indian curry.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My strategy is to choose completely at random and hope the spices don't melt my teeth on the way down. Most Thai food is excellent.

No help to you I'm afraid.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
NO better no worse than any other Thai takeaway The Kemp Thai is ok and i have the occassional takeaway there

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Thai chow main equivalent is with Thai red curry paste, bloody hot!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Don't rate them at all. They are sweet based ie coconut. If you have a sweet tooth then you should be fine. Nothing beats a hot Indian curry.

Thai over indian for me every day of the week (apart from last night when i had indian curry)

Papaya salad, chicken & cashew nuts, tamarimd paste, fish & oyster sauce. Not a coconut milk in sight

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There's a big range of tastes, as there is in Chinese or Indian food. They're usually about the same price range, which is generally not a huge amount. The worst you can do is waste a few quid if you buy something you don't like - just pile in and try it!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Could not disagree more, tbh.

Thai food is fantastic. A good spicy Thai meal will easily match a good Indian meal, (and both a hundred times better than a disgusting gloopy Chinese).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Could not disagree more, tbh.

Thai food is fantastic. A good spicy Thai meal will easily match a good Indian meal, (and both a hundred times better than a disgusting gloopy Chinese).

I'm sure there is such a thing as a disgusting gloopy Thai as well. It's all about what you order, and who cooks it. Everyones tastes are different.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Massaman is the mildest of the curries - it's coconutty and peanutty, with chunks of potato and whatever meat you choose to have in it.

Red and green curries are pretty spicy and are made with coconut milk but not like anything you'd get in an Indian restaurant.

Pad See Ew is probably the most Chow mein like. But the most famous noodle dish is Pad Thai - this is quite sweet (it's got tamarind in the sauce) and usually comes with egg mixed through, vegetables and meat.

There's obviously lots of other dishes but these are the ones you'll see on most menus.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Thai food is the best in the world (in my opinion)
Authentic Thai food bursts with flavour - it should balance the spice of chilli, with the salt of fish sauce, the sweetness of palm sugar and also the sour flavours of lime and lemongrass.
Thais love hot food, but if you want to start with something milder, try a pad Thai or a mussoman curry.
Personally I love the hotter food - my favourite curry would be a Penang.

Don't be fooled into thinking that salads are mild - they usually put a lot of chillis and lime in them.

Thai restaurants in the U.K. are of a varying standard - so you may hit lucky. I was fortunate in that my first taste of Thai food was the real thing.

Enjoy...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've never really liked Chinese, but love a Thai. Really easy to make as well - I reckon I have at least 2 a week. Don't tend to get take away as I find it so easy to make, unlike a curry.

Lots of options though and most of the 'Pad' dishes will be chow mein-esque.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Not tried Baan Thai in Leylands Rd yet, but have been to Lemongrass which is the Thai restaurant in town a few times. The massaman curry is great, need to be careful when ordering though as some of the other dishes are proper chili hot. I had the sizzling seafood and could barely feel my tongue by the end of it, I was speaking like the fat tongued mockney Jamie Oliver.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Not tried Baan Thai in Leylands Rd yet, but have been to Lemongrass which is the Thai restaurant in town a few times. The massaman curry is great, need to be careful when ordering though as some of the other dishes are proper chili hot. I had the sizzling seafood and could barely feel my tongue by the end of it, I was speaking like the fat tongued mockney Jamie Oliver.

Tried the Lemongrass in Burgess Hill on Friday evening. Absolutely top draw and now my overseas cuisine of choice. I had the Thai Green curry (a little more spicy than the red curry). Had a side dish of phadmee (?) noodles and shared a 'sticky rice'. Yum yum. Will be returning. They also do a take-away menu but don't know if that's any cheaper

Well worth a visit

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here