Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(Good Old) Sussex By The Sea

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
You can tell those who have and haven't been born and bred in Sussex

Stand or Fall - Pre match
Win the cup - during the match

You can still only hear the "modern remixed" version in the NS not enough S&Fer's

I was born and bred in Sussex. I used to sing the cup version as a young man and boy at the Goldstone. Now I only sing 'Stand or Fall.' It's a fantastic piece of Sussex history. I'm glad the club and fans have really embraced it and I feel proud and honoured to sing it.

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
The original version was sung spontaneously at the Burnley FA cup tie in 1961 when the Albion briefly led the league champions and were on the verge of a big giant killing act. Unfortunately the game went to a replay and the Albion lost. I didn't hear it sung again until Norman Wisdom revived it in late 1964 - successive relegations meant a difficult time in the club's history. I hope the "stand or fall" version prevails as they apply to every match.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The original version was sung spontaneously at the Burnley FA cup tie in 1961 when the Albion briefly led the league champions and were on the verge of a big giant killing act. Unfortunately the game went to a replay and the Albion lost. I didn't hear it sung again until Norman Wisdom revived it in late 1964 - successive relegations meant a difficult time in the club's history. I hope the "stand or fall" version prevails as they apply to every match.

Was Barton playing?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I don't know enough about its early use - at school I always presumed it was a first world war marching song so associate it with Lord Kitchener and the slaughter of the Sussex Regiments - the day Sussex died at the battle of Boars Head.

Still I see it more as remembering all those Sussex folk that died now.

My Stand and Fall T shirt is a favourite of mine though.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Why a joke?? The club have had x number of years to change the words, haven't they?

Why have they only been changed in the new shiny stadium?

Going up to win the Cup.

I still think this must be a wind up, surely you can see the irony, if you sing win the cup then you are singing the adapted version, not the original.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's stuff like this that brings it home how far we've come - 28,000 Albion fans belting out GOSBTS in a beautiful all seater stadium, before playing one of the best teams in Europe in the world's biggest league to a global audience of millions. Bloody hell.

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
Have any of you persistent "win the cup" singers ever noticed that massive "STAND OR FALL" banner at the back of the North Stand? It's the most important sentiment of the song, so why insist on leaving it out just because Norman Wisdom did a jokey version?
This . 'Stand or Fall' is the whole ethos of the song , the chilling reality that the young men singing it were prepared to die for their country ( and county ) . The least we should do for those that did 'Fall' for us to be able to live , watch football and bicker on a football chat room is sing the right words .

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This . 'Stand or Fall' is the whole ethos of the song , the chilling reality that the young men singing it were prepared to die for their country ( and county ) . The least we should do for those that did 'Fall' for us to be able to live , watch football and bicker on a football chat room is sing the right words .
This

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Excellent. I had a nose on the Palace forum once and there's a pillock on there with the same Avatar as mine.:ffsparr:

Yeah, cos (just guessing, now) its you, you cheeky monkey :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Exactly why I don't sing it. I like to seperate deaths from pointless wars from pointless ball games. I'm all for going up to win the cup but the rest of you can sing what you want.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When I first started singing GOSBTS back in 197..... it was Going Up and Win The Cup. If you want to come along 50 years later and think you are ever going to make me change, well it just aint happening.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
When I first started singing GOSBTS back in 197..... it was Going Up and Win The Cup. If you want to come along 50 years later and think you are ever going to make me change, well it just aint happening.

Agreed .I have always sung the cup version and it was only at a cup game last season when I changed seats and realised some people around me were looking at the screens and singing the words being shown. The did not know the old north stand version.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here