Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question about Brighton.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Today I cycled the heart foundation South Downs challenge 36 miles of hard work but beautiful country side.

When cycling down from the racecourse over to my left there was a pretty impressive sports complex, a seated floodlight football pitches a lovely cricket pitch and what looked like a 3G pitch / tennis courts. What is it and what's it called ?

BTW as much as it sticks in my throat to say , the AMEX looks pretty impressive from on top of the downs 😥

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Yes near the marina , is it a school ?

It was. I was there for four years when the centre was in its infancy. Not sure what has happened since. The school had a 'reputation'. It may have closed since. Perhaps someone who was there in the 90s can fill in the blanks.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Whitehawk and Shepecote Valley. Oh what a lovely war filmed above and in rubbish tip there. You were possibly looking at Whitehawk football ground, the Camping and caravan site, not sure of cricket club origins, the college or whatever they call it today is there, I've played 5 a side on the pitches there, beautiful Downland used for leisure. Well spotted.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whitehawk FC ground and Brighton College sports field down there too. Brighton College field is lovely and Whitehawk ground is rather tatty.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Today I cycled the heart foundation South Downs challenge 36 miles of hard work but beautiful country side.

When cycling down from the racecourse over to my left there was a pretty impressive sports complex, a seated floodlight football pitches a lovely cricket pitch and what looked like a 3G pitch / tennis courts. What is it and what's it called ?

BTW as much as it sticks in my throat to say , the AMEX looks pretty impressive from on top of the downs ��
That's Brighton College.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think Brighton College might have a cricket pitch there

our traveller "friends" used to regularly pitch up and ruin a night's Pitch Invasion (their kids nicking the footballs at best)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

BTW as much as it sticks in my throat to say , the AMEX looks pretty impressive from on top of the downs ��

Sports complex- Stanley Deason leisure centre and City College, 3G pitch and old Astro turf is part of this complex. Entrance in Wilson Avenue.

East Brighton Park, entrance at the bottom of Wilson Ave
Seated football ground- Whitehawk FC, old seats from Withdean Stadium.
Cricket and Rugby pitches next door belong to Brighton College.
There is a cricket club next to that but I'm not sure of the clubs name.

Last edited:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Sports complex- Stanley Deason leisure centre and City College, 3G pitch and old Astro turf is part of this complex. Entrance in Wilsons Avenue.

East Brighton Park, entrance at the bottom of Wilsons Ave
Seated football ground- Whitehawk FC, old seats from Withdean Stadium.
Cricket and Rugby pitches next door belong to Brighton College.
There is a cricket club next to that but I'm not sure of the clubs name.[/QUOTE

Thank you x

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Did a CITB course there for 6 months in 2006. It was Stanley Deason but became part of City College. Used to get the number one over and was living in Poets Corner at the time.

The plumbing tutor was none other than James Linnington who used to travel every day over from the Isle of Wight.

Oct 25, 2003
yeah what was Stanley Deason school (which had several other names) is now run by City College (or whatever it's called now) and there is a leisure centre attached (which is where the 3g pitches are). The cricket pitch is owned by Brighton College (VERY different to City College) and the other thing you may be referring to is Whitehawk FC's ground

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
The irony being pretty much all of these things other then the Brighton college cricket and rugby pitches (with it being a private school) are all pretty run down and shabby, they aren't as impressive up close.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here