Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pressing... that's the bloody answer

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Whilst we may not have the skilful stars that Citeh clearly have in abundance... we have very fit footballers. How come these overpaid MC superstars chased and harried every second of the game... that's not using super-duper millionaire skills and tricks... that's just basic organisation and commitment. I've never seen a team so in your face. We can do that... why don't we?

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
I've never seen anything quite like it. Super rich millionaires yet still prepared to run their hearts out and not let us play at all. A masterclass

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Pass, move and communicate...oh...and don't lose the ball in the first instance! But I do agree with pressing high as you can up the field! It worked well for Huddersfield most of last season and again yesterday!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Pressing yes, but when they got the ball they moved it with frightening give and go pace. Nothing stuck to Hemed or Murray. After the game I was fantasising about a front three of March, Knocky and our new Colombian speedster especially if we could master a bit of Leicester over the top action.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Not sure i quiet saw it in that way, have seen many teams work harder. We set up to defend, were ok to lose procession. I much prefer fast pace and pressing tough

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Run like crazy when you don't have the ball, won it back in 10 seconds.

It works well if you can then keep hold of the ball for a few minutes.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Erm not sure it's the answer v city. They had players who could create a bit of space in an instant, could hit killer balls without breaking stride and had by far some of the most technically gifted players in the league. We did that they would of opened us up like a can of beans and eaten us for lunch and it could of been 4-5 nil.
Key for us in reality in games is to keep possession better

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Erm not sure it's the answer v city. They had players who could create a bit of space in an instant, could hit killer balls without breaking stride and had by far some of the most technically gifted players in the league. We did that they would of opened us up like a can of beans and eaten us for lunch and it could of been 4-5 nil.
Key for us in reality in games is to keep possession better
Yes our possession and passing was really off

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not the way to go, certainly against the likes of city, as they will have the players capable of breaking open the press, which would leave us exposed to their pace and ability and more than likely conceding a goal.
Far better to set up as we were on Saturday to be solid and reduce the space between defence and midfield and allow city to pass across the back in their own half and then look to gain possession by weight of numbers.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Its true that we did miss Baldock, his pressing against Reading last year was masterful., can't see where he'll fit into the team this year but that side of his game will be missed

To be honest, he'd have been more effective than Hemed or Murray against Citeh! Unfortunately for him, by the time he gets fit, we'll have someone better.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Whilst we may not have the skilful stars that Citeh clearly have in abundance... we have very fit footballers. How come these overpaid MC superstars chased and harried every second of the game... that's not using super-duper millionaire skills and tricks... that's just basic organisation and commitment. I've never seen a team so in your face. We can do that... why don't we?

Because they only have to do it for 20-30% of a game.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'm glad you're not the manager, if we'd tried pressing them we'd have been completely shattered by half time and probably would have lost 5 or 6 nil.

The reason, as others have mentioned, that they still have the energy to press late on in the game is they keep the ball for minutes on end and when they lose it they invariably win it back very quickly.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm glad you're not the manager, if we'd tried pressing them we'd have been completely shattered by half time and probably would have lost 5 or 6 nil.

The reason, as others have mentioned, that they still have the energy to press late on in the game is they keep the ball for minutes on end and when they lose it they invariably win it back very quickly.

The other reason is that, because we sat so deep, they were able to push their own defensive line so high and compress the play. That meant they were naturally close to the players they had to press to get the ball back from, saving an immense amount of energy.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
While I agree pressing is an effective form of defence, it's easier to do when the opposition only have the ball for 20% of the match! No team can keep that up for the entire match so I'm not sure it would have been realistic against a City team who were always going to have the majority of the ball.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Pressing like they did was incredible to watch. But they are the elite. They're the best of the best. Their fitness levels and skill levels are far above us.

If we'd have tried to press them as they did us we'd be ****ed by half time and they'd have hit us for 5 or 6.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
What was more impressive was their off the ball movement. You could see our formation, and it was impressive to see how our formation remained solid throughout the match, but that's why we couldn't get numbers up field (coupled with only Murphy and March with pace).

When citeh had the ball, they had multiple options to pass, when we had the ball they would either shut down the player with the ball and force a mistake or close down all remaining options for them and force a mistake.

We'll be able to play like that one day, but not against top teams like that.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The other reason is that, because we sat so deep, they were able to push their own defensive line so high and compress the play. That meant they were naturally close to the players they had to press to get the ball back from, saving an immense amount of energy.

True, their defensive line was stood on the half way line most of the time!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here