Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long before maenpaa is given a chance !!!

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Honestly thought Ryan was alright, he had a really good first half, though he is a very different style of keeper. I do miss Stockdale but I don't think he would have been much better. It doesn't help that our first impressions of him and the other new signings have been formed against two exceptionally good teams. Let's reserve our opinions over the next three games, when we're a little less starstruck and can ground ourselves a bit better.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
He moved to his left anticipating a header by their striker and Dunk put it into the space he was moving from. Had he not moved it would have gone straight at him but if the striker had headed the ball he would have scored & we'd slam him for lack of anticipation.
The error was 100% Lewis Dunk's not Ryan's.

You need to look at the replay footage from behind the goal. I'm sure any premier league keeper would have been disappointed to have let that in.

However I'm not in the hang him brigade and he looks good and hopefully will be given time to improve.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Fantastic reaction save first half. Positioning and handling generally very good. Distribution will improve when he has players in better attacking positions to aim for. No chance with the first goal, did all the right things by coming out to try and make himself big and narrow the angles, but it was a first class strike. Slightly unlucky with the second, maybe could've done better, but as others have said he'd have been expecting the header from the attacker, not Dunk, and based his positioning on that. I'd have rated him as a solid 7/10 bearing in mind it was only his second game at The Amex (you can't overstate how important it is for keepers to get used to a stadium's sight lines) and the class of the opposition.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The serious responders to this thread slating Ryan displays just how thick some fans are, probably the same ones all lining up to ask Hughton about his tactics and their suggestions at the Fans Forums.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Can't judge Ryan after 1 game in the PL against the title favourites.
Give all the players 3 more games and we will have a good idea as to whether they will be good enough.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Be shocked if he's still starting by mid September . Seen enough in confed cup the Madrid game and city game to have an opinion .hope I'm proved wrong .

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The thing is the ball shouldn't go through your arms like that, and if it does, it should be met with your body. He did get that a bit wrong, and he did have a chance to save it if he had looked to parry instead of catch it.

But I agree about giving him (and the whole team) time to settle.

The irony is that if he had just stuck an arm out for the second one and parried it, City may well have scored from the rebound anyway - but no-one here would be moaning. Who'd be a goalkeeper? A split second decision to catch a bullet header from 5 yards that he wasn't expecting and suddenly there are some on here convinced they're Buffon, Shilton and Zoff all rolled into one and it should have been an easy save. What I've seen so far is a keeper who seems to have great reflexes, excellent kicking generally and the confidence to sweep if he has to. He's been a bit unlucky on 2 goals (1 in a friendly in which he made a string of top class saves). Given that we've seen next to nothing of him in serious action for Albion, the only valid concern at this point is that he's not the tallest. Even that may not matter. We'll see.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We seem to be in a timewarp and have transported back to Withdean, when certain 'fans' could never accept any keeper starting ahead of Kuipers and always picked on any error whether large or small and demanded Kuipers back immediately.

Give the guy a run in the team to establish himself. Both he and the defenders need to get used to each other which will take a few games to become fully in tune for when the keeper comes for crosses or stays,, etc.

On the basis of this put down, why has no one had a go had Propper he must have misplaced at least 3 passes in the 1st half. Does this make him a waste of money and we need to get Sidwell or whoever into the team.

It seems for some fans players must have the perfect game or they are rubbish.

Just accept that all players with have better games sometimes and poorer games on others, and just look at the team overall and support them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I wonder how many criticising Ryan for the second only did so after seeing a slo motion replay? In real time no way he had a chance with that unless it accidentally hit him.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Interesting thread this, perhaps it is early days to be calling Ryan out but, for sure, NP has never ever put a foot wrong and is a quality Keeper !

Irrespective, Maty needs to be given a chance and SUPPORT of all of us !

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I wonder how many criticising Ryan for the second only did so after seeing a slo motion replay? In real time no way he had a chance with that unless it accidentally hit him.

No, said it at the time as well.

It looked worse in the replay.

As per my post earlier today, it's not the fumble, it's the fact his body wasn't behind it, same with Athletico.

We have an excellent coach in Ben Roberts and he'll get it right. Leicester will be an interesting test for Ryan, as they are a bit more physical.

Dunk was also culpable for not getting goal-side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Interesting thread this, perhaps it is early days to be calling Ryan out but, for sure, NP has never ever put a foot wrong and is a quality Keeper !

Irrespective, Maty needs to be given a chance and SUPPORT of all of us !

I don't think (unless you know different), that he is getting heckled so far.

We should always support our players, regardless of any errors IMO.

It's only a lack of effort that winds me up.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Anyone that's criticising his kicking hasn't really thought about it. He aimed literally every kick towards the same areas of the pitch (the half way line on either side) and he was accurate in doing that throughout. It was clearly a strategy that he was asked to persist with. That's not his fault that he's following instructions.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
On a more positive note, at least Ryan is now wearing a shirt which fits him. That did my head in at Crawley.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, said it at the time as well.

It looked worse in the replay.

As per my post earlier today, it's not the fumble, it's the fact his body wasn't behind it, same with Athletico.

We have an excellent coach in Ben Roberts and he'll get it right. Leicester will be an interesting test for Ryan, as they are a bit more physical.

Dunk was also culpable for not getting goal-side.

Dunk was also culpable - you think? :)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone that's criticising his kicking hasn't really thought about it. He aimed literally every kick towards the same areas of the pitch (the half way line on either side) and he was accurate in doing that throughout. It was clearly a strategy that he was asked to persist with. That's not his fault that he's following instructions.

That and the fact City made him go long by pushing up all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here