Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long before maenpaa is given a chance !!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately many on here are blinkered towards their favourites but =I would say that Dunk had a good game generally but was caught out a couple of times with the quick movement of the City front men thankfully one goal was ruled out but he still lost Jesus with his movement.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I don't think (unless you know different), that he is getting heckled so far.

We should always support our players, regardless of any errors IMO.

It's only a lack of effort that winds me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed,
I don't know that he has received heckling hence my post 'SUPPORT' in capitals !

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Don't think enough has be made of the second goal ! Very poor attempt from Stockdale to stop that .
Thought his distribution was poor , he did make one good say from their striker .
Always been pretty impressed with maenpaa when he has played .

Wow its 2016 again, when did that happen, same moans, same posters, different players, we really are the most moaning fans in the EPL

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Ah just seen the OP only posted twice during last season, must have hated last season with all those wins and good Goalkeeping performances (ignoring Lincoln of course)

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
All the Stockdale comparisons are strange, he's a keeper who has CHOSEN to stay in the Championship, so I guess we won't know if he would have done better than Ryan because the guy CHOSE the money over the chance to be in the Premier League with us. 99% of footballers wouldn't do that.
Ryan is our keeper, I wish him every success, obviously.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Don't think enough has be made of the second goal ! Very poor attempt from Ryan to stop that .
Thought his distribution was poor , he did make one good say from Jesus .
Always been pretty impressed with maenpaa when he has played .

Great. One game in and we've already got threads slagging off individual players. As others have said, Duffy started slowly last season and got heavily criticised on here yet people don't learn. Give players a chance before writing them off.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sooner rather than later. Ryan doesn't convince me. Poor signing

This is even worst than the OP. At least he comments on specific points of one game rather than writing a player off as a poor signing after one competitive match. I seriously wonder about some of our fans (and this doesn't mean he's guaranteed to be a great signing, just that writing him off after one game is ridiculous).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
**** me. ONE GAME. Against Man City. Wake up.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
This is even worst than the OP. At least he comments on specific points of one game rather than writing a player off as a poor signing after one competitive match. I seriously wonder about some of our fans (and this doesn't mean he's guaranteed to be a great signing, just that writing him off after one game is ridiculous).

Doesn't Madrid count ? Two games two mistakes.To be fair he has a 100% record

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Doesn't Madrid count ? two games two mistakes.

It is a friendly (not a competitive match) and even if it does, writing a player off after two matches is ridiculous. And, to be honest, I am not even sure the Dunk own goal was a mistake (as happened with Stockdale, people choose to define mistakes how they like to suit their agenda).

As for Atletico, while that was undoubtedly a mistake, we would have been well behind if it wasn't for an impressive half from Ryan up to then. But of course that is ignored by people with an agenda against him (which you must have to write him off as a poor signing before the end of August).

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It is a friendly (not a competitive match) and even if it does, writing a player off after two matches is ridiculous. And, to be honest, I am not even sure the Dunk own goal was a mistake (as happened with Stockdale, people choose to define mistakes how they like to suit their agenda).

As for Atletico, while that was undoubtedly a mistake, we would have been well behind if it wasn't for an impressive half from Ryan up to then. But of course that is ignored by people with an agenda against him (which you must have to write him off as a poor signing before the end of August).

Don't worry about that poster. Was on the Madrid matchday thread to gloat about Ryan almost before he made the mistake. Typical of the worst of our fans. Heaven forbid we should support our players.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
There are 2 parts to this conversation. Is Maenpaa good enough for a first team start and is Matty Ryan deserving of his first team place.

I would say that on his showings, Maenpaa maybe does deserve a shot at 1st team football. But if the club felt they needed to sign a true replacement for Stockdale that means Maenpaa isn't showing enough in training to be a definitive 1st choice. Maybe he drops a ton of clangers in training? We don't know because we only see him once in a blue moon. Chris Hughton sees him every single day.

Then on to Matty Ryan. He's played 80 times in the A-League (meh), 77 times in the Belgian Pro League (hmm) and 10 times in La Liga (oooh), he's placed for Australia 35 times (ahh). He was our record signing. Chris Hughton chose him. He's in the 1st team. I feel like I say this every week, but put your trust in the team who got us where we are today. It's okay to not have a definitive opinion on whether a player is good enough because, quite frankly, we don't know what the **** we're talking about.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Starting a thread to slate the guy is bs at this stage. Completely uncalled for.

However, those wishing to entirely ignore his part in the second goal, are too far the other way. To call that 100% Dunk's fault is ridiculous. Ryan will have expected to save that 9 times out of 10.

He'll prove a good signing, for sure, but no point making out the mistake never happened.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm happy with Ryan. OK, he might have held that header from Dunk, but it came at him at speed. Understandable.

I've no reason to be baying for some change.

As others have said, we were playing Man City. His distribution - given that they pressed very high was fine. Stats wise, he made more successful passes than any other Brighton player.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here