Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye Goldstone Meridian Debate Video

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Got back after yesterdays game and after watching MOTD I ended up doing a bit of Albion You tube binging and stumbled upon this gem of a video. The meridian debate from 1997 goodbye goldstone.

https://youtu.be/0mG-o6-S7uE

As a fan of Albion since going to watch the Mansfield game aged 11 at the Withdean I am aware only second hand of the decade preceeding this and found this an interesting opportunity to hear the debate at the time first hand from the fans formerly and currently of our parish, as well as Andy Naylor, Mark Lawro Lawrensen, Alan Mullery, and those scum bags Archer and Bellotti. Puts what happens yesterday in real perspective not that many will need reminding.

What particularly always struck me reading build a bonfire etc. was the apathy of the FA. Shown in full light by Graham Kelly here.

It makes me wonder what Archer and Bellotti would have thought of yesterday's game?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
When is match of the day gonna be on catch up? Can't find it ffs

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think the Goldstone could have been saved. We owed £6m that had to be paid that season, and the Goldstone needed a total rebuild including making it all seating which would have cost around £20m just to make the stadium league statndard, but on a site that could only seat about15,000. So we would have done all this and still needed to move to a bigger site.

Archers mistake was believing he could get Waterhall and he sold the Goldstone without consulting the fans. Not too sure what the feasable options were at the time?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Archers mistake was believing he could get Waterhall and he sold the Goldstone without consulting the fans. Not too sure what the feasable options were at the time?

I don't think he ever believed that or cared one iota. He simply wanted to buy the club for £50 or so, make money from selling the ground and then **** off back up north with the loot. A lot of this debt you speak of was built up by the club paying high interest rates on loans from the owners/directors. We're so lucky TB does not charge interest on his loans.

Archer's mistake (as far as he was concerned) was getting caught out for changing the articles of association. This would have made getting his hands on the Goldstone sale profits very difficult but I'm sure he found a way of doing it in the end.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I watched this when it went out live, all those years ago.
I'm having a nice relaxing Sunday, so am not going to watch again, as it'll ruin my day.
Those two *******s got / get what they deserve.
So here's to our new adventure :cheers:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think he ever believed that or cared one iota. He simply wanted to buy the club for £50 or so, make money from selling the ground and then **** off back up north with the loot. A lot of this debt you speak of was built up by the club paying high interest rates on loans from the owners/directors. We're so lucky TB does not charge interest on his loans.

Archer's mistake (as far as he was concerned) was getting caught out for changing the articles of association. This would have made getting his hands on the Goldstone sale profits very difficult but I'm sure he found a way of doing it in the end.

I don't know if the £6m debt was was due to as you say. I would have to see a breakdown of how it worked. £6m had to be paid which was a massive amount back then.

His plan was to obtain Toads Hall Valley or Waterhall and build a stadium there. But his intentions to build a new stadium or rob the club as you claim wasn't the point of my comment. Take Archer out of the picture; what were our best realistic options with a ground that could not be developed? You do agree that we had to leave there in the end?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You do agree that we had to leave there in the end?

Yes, you are right and I agree but I still blame Stanley/Archer/Bellotti for not finding a solution in the years they were in charge before we moved away. Put it this way, if someone like Tony or Dick owned the club at that time, I believe that they'd have found a way of us staying at the Goldstone until we had a new stadium to move into. They would not have lied and lied to us either.

Also, clearly the debt was owed to lots of interests but I don't think high interest director/owner loans helped.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I don't know if the £6m debt was was due to as you say. I would have to see a breakdown of how it worked. £6m had to be paid which was a massive amount back then.

His plan was to obtain Toads Hall Valley or Waterhall and build a stadium there. But his intentions to build a new stadium or rob the club as you claim wasn't the point of my comment. Take Archer out of the picture; what were our best realistic options with a ground that could not be developed? You do agree that we had to leave there in the end?

Within a year it was sold again for what £20m?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes, you are right and I agree but I still blame Stanley/Archer/Bellotti for not finding a solution in the years they were in charge before we moved away. Put it this way, if someone like Tony or Dick owned the club at that time, I believe that they'd have found a way of us staying at the Goldstone until we had a new stadium to move into. They would not have lied and lied to us either.

Also, clearly the debt was owed to lots of interests but I don't think high interest director/owner loans helped.

This is the point though. Staying at the Goldstone wasn't really an option for any longer that it was extended for. £6m was required to stop a winding up order and it would have cost about about £15m to uprgade the Goldstone to league requirements at the time. It needed a spare £21m to pay the debt and stay there and we would have still needed to have moved.

Once Archer had lost the trust of the fans, because of the lack of consultation and understanding, and it became more of a pantommine with him being the villian of the piece, it would have been impossible for him to do any deal with the council. At the time there were fans who took it too far, his life was threatened and he was even physically attacked.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the point though. Staying at the Goldstone wasn't really an option for any longer that it was extended for. £6m was required to stop a winding up order and it would have cost about about £15m to uprgade the Goldstone to league requirements at the time. It needed a spare £21m to pay the debt and stay there and we would have still needed to have moved.

Once Archer had lost the trust of the fans, because of the lack of consultation and understanding, and it became more of a pantommine with him being the villian of the piece, it would have been impossible for him to do any deal with the council. At the time there were fans who took it too far, his life was threatened and he was even physically attacked.

Woah tiger! Archer was a psychopath. Money was his bottom line. Yes, if all the stars had lind up he would have taken us to a new stadium and glory. But he had not bothered to work out a plan, because he owned the site and there was money to be made, so why bother? Geddit?

Archer was never fit to own a dog let alone a football club.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Got back after yesterdays game and after watching MOTD I ended up doing a bit of Albion You tube binging and stumbled upon this gem of a video. The meridian debate from 1997 goodbye goldstone.

As a fan of Albion since going to watch the Mansfield game aged 11 at the Withdean I am aware only second hand of the decade preceeding this and found this an interesting opportunity to hear the debate at the time first hand from the fans formerly and currently of our parish, as well as Andy Naylor, Mark Lawro Lawrensen, Alan Mullery, and those scum bags Archer and Bellotti. Puts what happens yesterday in real perspective not that many will need reminding.

What particularly always struck me reading build a bonfire etc. was the apathy of the FA. Shown in full light by Graham Kelly here.

It makes me wonder what Archer and Bellotti would have thought of yesterday's game?

Not seen that video before. Nice find, thanks for sharing! Any members of NSC in the audience? (or past members)

Not a great programme tbf the fans got a bit stitched up by the TV people if I remember right.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I think Archer got off fairly lightly. All of the above is fair game when you threaten a Counties football team through greed. He knowingly tried to destroy our club and every piece of abuse and every threat was completely warranted.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I remember the QUEUE outside the Goldstone for tickets away to Liverpool ....... f*** me some of the jcls and moaners would've been able to whinge all year if theyde been about!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here