Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beer ques and general

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Carefully reviewed the smart signage over the main bar in WSL. Spotted the offer of two food with two soft drinks for £11. Also spotted several signs for a Sussex Burger made with Harveys Beer, so ordered two of those and two soft drinks.' Sorry' came the reply. 'We don't do those burgers and the sign needs to be changed'. I've never even seen a sign for Sussex Burgers before, so how can the sign be wrong for something we've never sold before and it's only the first match?

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
WSU before the game; made sure I was in the queue to be served by a young woman that I recognised as being a regular from last season and to be good at her job. Our queue moved rapidly despite there only being one guy pouring pints (and one at a time) whilst other queues stood still....I shall be looking out for this woman and joining her queue for rest of the season. Diamond!

After game went down to WSL - queues were ridiculous so went back to WSU and was served immediately, again by my star server.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Its a shame they haven't solved this problem after 5 years - In the North stand in order to get a half time pint one of us has to miss the last 5 minutes of the first half otherwise there no chance .. I was in the Upper west on saturday and there was no chance of watching all the game and getting a half time drink and drinking it at some leisure . Anyone who says otherwise is deluded . need professional staff + those machines that serve pints quickly

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I work in the middle kiosk of WSU, and my team said they didn't get much aggro from who was there, which considering the circumstances satisfied me.

My role is generally to supervise the chef, pourers and cashiers and to correct anything that might go wrong, especially with new and perhaps untrained staff as would happen at the start of the season. As the most experienced person in the stand, I didn't have a chef and had three tills unstaffed. I'm having to work a till, until a barrel runs empty and I'm forced to leave my queue of 10 to run round to the cellar and change it. I spent most of the game and half time period assembling burgers and ensuring there were pies to sell. I'm having to be three people, if I was getting three paychecks for it I wouldn't mind!

When people don't show up for work it makes things tougher for the people who are there.

Appreciate your input - thanks.

Just down to pour management (see what I did there?!!). The suits need to get their act together and ensure that you are staffed adequately and are re-supplied when stocks run low NOT once they have run out.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Nice development in the NS yesterday was that the mini kiosk that used to sell Heineken now sells Hop House 13 instead :cheers:

similar, I only had 1 pint though. I thought the beer queues before and after were better usual and the staff seemed well organised

Its a shame they haven't solved this problem after 5 years - In the North stand in order to get a half time pint one of us has to miss the last 5 minutes of the first half otherwise there no chance .. I was in the Upper west on saturday and there was no chance of watching all the game and getting a half time drink and drinking it at some leisure . Anyone who says otherwise is deluded . need professional staff + those machines that serve pints quickly

The smaller kiosk in North (West) corner has been my bar of choice for couple of years; last year it had 4 server's, backed by pourer's/pizza makers, and they had it totally organised and quick serving.

Come Saturday, and they've got two servers, and one backer.. :wozza:

Half time, and it was mayhem..lost so much sales, so wasteful..

To top it all, i later saw one of the (very good) girls who worked the bar so well last year, supervising the larger bigger bar opposite. :censored:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Other than the Air conditioning not working and only blowing out hot air, the service experience for us in WSL was overall good.

Kind of off topic my gripe is the outside catering.

The burger van, £6 for a dry burger or £6.50 for a dry burger with a piece of cheese is a complete and utter disgrace.

Portion on small chips £3. What a complete and utter rip off.

I'm sorry but the club (knowing how much us customers already spend per season) should not allow them to be able to charge that amount.

And yes, the club can have full control on what they charge.

When they send out the tender, part of the deal should be you cant charge more than x for this and x for that.

They would still have a burger van there every week, because it will be a captive audience for the entire season. Charge less and sell MORE. Its that simple.

I find it just disgraceful.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
My dad went, bought a burger - he said it cost £8? Is this right??

He threw most of it away, as he described it as 'Horse leather'!:sick:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My dad went, bought a burger - he said it cost £8? Is this right??

He threw most of it away, as he described it as 'Horse leather'!:sick:

If that was in the stadium, that is not right. Should be about £4.something

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He said it was jut outside, down the East / South corner area, described it as a barbecue type affair?

Pass - never used the vans outside

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Or just not have a pint at half time?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Other than the Air conditioning not working and only blowing out hot air, the service experience for us in WSL was overall good.

Kind of off topic my gripe is the outside catering.

The burger van, £6 for a dry burger or £6.50 for a dry burger with a piece of cheese is a complete and utter disgrace.

Portion on small chips £3. What a complete and utter rip off.

I'm sorry but the club (knowing how much us customers already spend per season) should not allow them to be able to charge that amount.

And yes, the club can have full control on what they charge.

When they send out the tender, part of the deal should be you cant charge more than x for this and x for that.

They would still have a burger van there every week, because it will be a captive audience for the entire season. Charge less and sell MORE. Its that simple.

I find it just disgraceful.

Usually the burgers from the stall outside are better than the ones from inside but £6 is taking the mickey. Weren't they £5 last season?

Last edited:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Usually the burgers from the stall outside are better than the ones from inside but £6 is taking the mickey. Weren't they £5 last season?

Not sure on either points, the cheeseburgers in the ground if they are not hard are usually really good. I always push the top of the burger before I complete the transaction just to make sure its not hard.

The club should be all over this.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I thought the WSU queues were pretty good, particularly for the first game of the season.

Yes they were long but they were moving along nicely, they seemed to have cottoned on to pre-pouring pints in advance of people ordering them?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
WSL had a Harveys beer wall. Sussex, stout, plus the other two keg beers.
Though the stout had sold out by the end of the game.

Tried the Harveys Stout in the North Stand after the Athletico Madrid game.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
We drove over and left Shoreham at 4:15 and I have never seen so little traffic for a home game so assume most people got their very early ?

I noticed this, got a lift just before 4.30 from Patcham over to bottom of Coldean Lane expecting some gridlock and have never seen it so quiet, so yes, most people got there early. Which was just as well as it could have been so different! I can't see anyone else has mentioned or could have seen the minibus that got stuck in the tunnel leading up to the Bridge car park. It was full of City fans so this was around 4.40 and was stuck there blocking all traffic for a good 15 minutes as we stayed to watch what was going to happen. Attempts to put his foot down to ram it through was making it worse until they finally thought about letting its tyres down and reversing it back out. Half an hour or so earlier and the traffic situation would have been a lot worse.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I had a similar experience driving from Shoreham. Never got to the ground so quickly....almost eerie !

Not sure i believe you anymore. You tell to many lies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here