Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hand ball

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
How is that a defender handling the ball to prevent a goal gets a red card, but a forward doing the same to create a goal gets a yellow.
In my thinking both indiscretions are equal, and should revive the same punishment.
Jesus in my opinion knew what to expect, and feinged injury, giving the ref more thinking time.

How is that a defender handling the ball to prevent a goal gets a red card, but a forward doing the same to create a goal gets a yellow.
In my thinking both indiscretions are equal, and should revive the same punishment.
Jesus in my opinion knew what to expect, and feinged injury, giving the ref more thinking time.

Thought the same, but the replays showed it came off his chest then accidentally hit his hand.

You need to post something quickly to get 666 off your post count.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

You could see him checking with the fourth official to see whether it was deliberate or not. A red would have then been coming.

I was wondering from ESU whether he was going to just give a free kick which would have meant he had got it wrong and it was a legitimate goal

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

He definitely didn't feign injury. He got a forearm to the throat from Ryan.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Although the handball was clearly unintentional, it did alter the direction and speed of the ball which took it past Ryan.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Seems I'm on my own.
Looked like definate hand movement towards the ball from certain angles.
On BT Gerrard made his mind up after viewing from the first angle and didn't acknowledge the other angles.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair point.
Looked like he feigned injury to me too, but he did take a knock from Ryan. But it's not currently a red card offense to score with your hand is it?

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Seems I'm on my own.
Looked like definate hand movement towards the ball from certain angles.
On BT Gerrard made his mind up after viewing from the first angle and didn't acknowledge the other angles.

I thought the same, but would need to see it again to fully commit.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

To start with I didnt think it is an automatic red now - as there would be penalty under the double jeopardy rule is it not only a yellow?

He certainly got hit from Ryan and the ref had the yellow card in his hand almost immediately so I do no think that faking it would help in any way, I suspect he had the wind knocked out of him. I actually thought the Yellow was a little harsh to start with but there was also some movement from his hand so a 50/50 call which went against Jesus

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
I think the ref was right to disallow the goal (yellow card a little harsh as don't think it was deliberate)
I think we were a little lucky with Dunks hand ball, obviously wasn't deliberate (think he saw it late anyway) and his arm was in a natural position, but have seen them given many times in the past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here