Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forresteri

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm not so sure. I think it would be best if CH came on NSC and took his tactical options from here given the extremely high standard of football coaches and ex professional managers who use this board.

Nailed it [emoji1][emoji1]

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm pretty sure City left no-one up when defending our corners.

Didn't need to though really did they? A bit like us in the championship, as CH stated last Thursday, it really is a personal preference thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm pretty sure City left no-one up when defending our corners.

Discussion wasn't about Citeh, it was about us. Citeh played three at the back (well, up around the half way line really), we didn't. So, Citeh played differently to us - that isn't the point when discussing our tactics.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite happy for Hughton to do what he thinks is best, given his vast experience.
Everybody else who is discussing this is very happy with Hughton as our manager - it's a bit disingenuous to try and twist the comments any other way. It in no way invalidates the view of some people that we would like to see a fast player left upfield at corners.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
I'd leave TWO of our our smallest or quickest players up the field when defending a corner with the tactic of hoofing up field to find one of them! ( Only advocate that to clear our lines). The opposition would generally have to leave 3 players back to mark those two, we give ourselves more of a chance of relieving the pressure on defence, and more of a chance in stopping the ball coming straight back into our box! It was like the Alamo for 70 minutes on Saturday! Always remember Wardy staying up for their corner and if we got the ball up to him, he'd beat the two defenders for skill and pace, run half the length of the muddy quagmire and unleash an unstoppable shot passed their keeper!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd leave TWO of our our smallest or quickest players up the field when defending a corner with the tactic of hoofing up field to find one of them! ( Only advocate that to clear our lines). The opposition would generally have to leave 3 players back to mark those two, we give ourselves more of a chance of relieving the pressure on defence, and more of a chance in stopping the ball coming straight back into our box! !

Someone ought to tell Chris to do that.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

No comparison. City had better players (faster, stronger, more skilful) in almost every position than our team (sorry lads, just saying) so it doesn't really matter what they did.
I'm a huge Hughton fan, I rate him as a fantastic manager for us, nobody else I'd rather have........but, like many others on this board - and in the stands - I really wish he would keep one man on the half way line at all times, ready to go haring after any long clearances (and sometimes they do have to be made; you can whine about hoofball all you like, but sometimes - just sometimes - the correct action for a defender is to put his foot through the ball, no messing) and, if not scoring, at least keeping two of the other side busy.
Can't agree.. The sheer number of bodies in the box is one reason for having everyone back - less space, so much harder to score. The reality is at this level, even if you left one up, two defenders will win the clearance (often a hoof up the pitch - not controlled pass) the vast majority of the time and the ball comes back anyway. It's a % thing - defend the most dangerous threat is the priority. Breaking quickly, with players sprinting in all directions then becomes much harder to defend - we did this pretty well over the last few seasons.
At a lower level when defenders are likely to make a mistake then there is possibly an argument, but not at this level IMO.

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
No truth in this what so ever,if you want to know who our next's signing will be look at BVN Dutch TV if you can get it.All l will say is there is going to be a signing very soon .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can't agree.. The sheer number of bodies in the box is one reason for having everyone back - less space, so much harder to score. The reality is at this level, even if you left one up, two defenders will win the clearance (often a hoof up the pitch - not controlled pass) the vast majority of the time and the ball comes back anyway. It's a % thing - defend the most dangerous threat is the priority. Breaking quickly, with players sprinting in all directions then becomes much harder to defend - we did this pretty well over the last few seasons.
At a lower level when defenders are likely to make a mistake then there is possibly an argument, but not at this level IMO.

Nine bodies in the box (plus the keeper) is plenty! No problem with CH setting up defensively - would have been pretty silly to attempt anything else against Citeh. Leaving Tomer alone up front isn't ideal, as he isn't the fastest, but he would have had a better chance if his starting point for trying to get on the end of clearances was the half way line, rather than 20+ yards back in his own half. He was never going to make up that 20 yard handicap.
And that's my only[/] criticism of our boys' performance yesterday; they did really well, as did CH.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Nine bodies in the box (plus the keeper) is plenty! No problem with CH setting up defensively - would have been pretty silly to attempt anything else against Citeh. Leaving Tomer alone up front isn't ideal, as he isn't the fastest, but he would have had a better chance if his starting point for trying to get on the end of clearances was the half way line, rather than 20+ yards back in his own half. He was never going to make up that 20 yard handicap.
And that's my only[/] criticism of our boys' performance yesterday; they did really well, as did CH.

Ok, but the reality was that he wouldn't have won the ball, less likely on the half way line, and then is the wrong side of the ball to make a meaningful effort defensively. Another body in the box makes it even more crowded and is worth more to the team than chasing shadows on the half-way line.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Someone ought to tell Chris to do that.

Didn't somebody try to do that at the fans' forum?

Personally I too would like to see one player left up the field, but I accept it ain't going to happen. Absolutely 100% behind CH all the way, brilliant manager for us and I want him to stay regardless of how well we do this season - but I still reserve my right to wish that he would leave one up though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ok, but the reality was that he wouldn't have won the ball, less likely on the half way line, and then is the wrong side of the ball to make a meaningful effort defensively. Another body in the box makes it even more crowded and is worth more to the team than chasing shadows on the half-way line.

Actually, more likely to win the ball on the half way line; fewer players there. And more likely to get to a ball played into space in the opponent's half if he's starting out from 20 yards closer to it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would we not do better with Hemed back as he may win a defensive header in the box and leave March in the centre circle who wouldnt win the header but would be quicker to break if we had the chance.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

This.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would we not do better with Hemed back as he may win a defensive header in the box and leave March in the centre circle who wouldnt win the header but would be quicker to break if we had the chance.
In this case probably not - March had a specific job to do in the defensive set up of two banks of four, and it would have required quite a re-shuffle to do this. Probably, if he'd been fit, Baldock would have been better suited to the task that Hemed - but still only if he started from the half way line rather than 20 yards behind it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No truth in this what so ever,if you want to know who our next's signing will be look at BVN Dutch TV if you can get it.All l will say is there is going to be a signing very soon .
Bit cryptic, any reason why you can't just say the name?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here