Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forresteri

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
And knocky's dive yesterday was almost as bad as Xaha...

Can't help but look at your avatar and think of this.

IMG_0289.JPG

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You say we are quick on the break but yesterday City were quicker than us in every position on the ground and in thought, which we cant do much about.

That's because we were so keen to maintain our shape we never pressured the ball.

As soon as we tried to play out they squeezed us high, we inevitably went long and lost it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A number of people around me said that having Baldock available would have helped, as he runs the line and drags defenders out of position.

Defenders hate pace, especially when a counter attacking team have the players in midfield and out wide that can play that killer through ball, this I think we have. Quick strikers can turn over good defenders and get in behind and City showed that yesterday.

I guess the best example of this was Michael Owen's goal against Argentina at the World Cup in 98.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post.

Take defenders out of their comfort zone.

Most fans now realise this. I would imagine that the club do too and will address the lack of pace up front with new players by the close of this transfer window.

But not Forestieri. A proven cheat and doesn't exactly rip the Championship apart.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good post.

Most fans now realise this. I would imagine that the club do too and will address the lack of pace up front with new players by the close of this transfer window.

We'll be going down if they don't

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Good post.

But not Forestieri. A proven cheat and doesn't exactly rip the Championship apart.

If I was to take any striker out of the Championship I would take Zahore. We were tentatively linked to him a few weeks back. He is used to playing as a lone front man, is strong and quick, can run the channels and he gave Villa the run around yesterday who essentially have a PL defence. He bullied Chester who is one of the best centre backs in that league.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You're spot on there. TB and his team would know that the pace/goals aspect needs urgent attention. He'd be determined that we don't blow our chance, otherwise it's Championship football with a huge cost base.

We have to believe that he knows as well as us what is missing, he is an ardent fan too. Cannot believe we will be expected to go through the season with a mostly injured Baldock along with Hemed and Murray.

All will be well, even exciting, although we may have suffered three defeats before it happens.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sad to say it but nothing stuck to Hemed yesterday it all bounced off due to his poor control. Also he seemed to have lead boots on. You can see why CH wants someone with pace

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The thing is, I think Baldock would have been perfect for yesterday, he's quick and with the space city gave us behind their defence, he could have had an good game, Hemed Murray or even wood or forrestieri would have been poor yesterday as we saw

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thought the same. Very hard for our slower strikers to get involved. Baldock would have at least had his uses to help us defend from the front. Murray will come into his own when we've got more of the ball. Wasn't really a day when any target man would have much joy, being so isolated. Thought Hemed could have closed them down a bit more, but then I suppose once he'd committed himself and been bypassed that would be him out of the game defensively. So maybe it was deliberate.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So a hoofed clearance, and there were a few yesterday, giving the opposition guaranteed possession to come again. I think that is going to piss me off very quickly this season because it just invites more pressure and the chances are we will concede at some point.

CH may be a god but I seriously question how sensible that choice of defending is, if we are always going to do it.

Maybe the guy at the forum questioning some of CH's tactics at this level had a point...

I'm pretty sure City left no-one up when defending our corners.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm pretty sure City left no-one up when defending our corners.

No comparison. City had better players (faster, stronger, more skilful) in almost every position than our team (sorry lads, just saying) so it doesn't really matter what they did.
I'm a huge Hughton fan, I rate him as a fantastic manager for us, nobody else I'd rather have........but, like many others on this board - and in the stands - I really wish he would keep one man on the half way line at all times, ready to go haring after any long clearances (and sometimes they do have to be made; you can whine about hoofball all you like, but sometimes - just sometimes - the correct action for a defender is to put his foot through the ball, no messing) and, if not scoring, at least keeping two of the other side busy.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No comparison. City had better players (faster, stronger, more skilful) in almost every position than our team (sorry lads, just saying) so it doesn't really matter what they did.
I'm a huge Hughton fan, I rate him as a fantastic manager for us, nobody else I'd rather have........but, like many others on this board - and in the stands - I really wish he would keep one man on the half way line at all times, ready to go haring after any long clearances (and sometimes they do have to be made; you can whine about hoofball all you like, but sometimes - just sometimes - the correct action for a defender is to put his foot through the ball, no messing) and, if not scoring, at least keeping two of the other side busy.

Surely as they're so much better they could afford to leave one or even two up against little old Brighton? But Guardiola must think first and foremost that it's a good idea to defend the corner properly. I suppose that's the difference between Premier League and Sunday League tactics. Quite happy for Hughton to do what he thinks is best, given his vast experience.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Quite happy for Hughton to do what he thinks is best, given his vast experience.

I'm not so sure. I think it would be best if CH came on NSC and took his tactical options from here given the extremely high standard of football coaches and ex professional managers who use this board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here