Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How poor was the City support?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
At least 60% of them were caught in a sun trap for most of the game....coming from Manchester I imagine it was a bit like being on a beach instead of at a football match

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
One of the worst, similar to Charlton or Bournemouth, a couple of chants but anonymous.

Leeds the best support down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I was really surprised by them, somehow I imagined they would have an excellent, loud support and groups of them outside the ground beforehand seemed to suggest that they would, but there was virtually nothing from them in the first half except for a few 'come on City's' when they were getting frustrated. I was sitting right down near them in the SW corner and they simply seemed to be waiting for their stars to do something amazing so they could sing for them. Price of success I suppose. They showed what they were capable of after they had scored with four or five loud songs, but where was that in the first half? Weird one

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Didn't you? Once the money came in years ago City became a different animal in the same way that Chelsea did. One day you've got soul, the next you've got multimillions. The two usually are mutually exclusive, and certainly in footballing terms.

Correct.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Wait until we visit Manchester. Find a City pub if you are staying up over night and you will then realise what a fantastic hospitable bunch they are. I doubt that you be able to buy a drink as by judging by my previous experience, it will be bought for you as they consider you as their guest. They will have a good giggle at your expense when you are howling drunk.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
For me they seemed decent people when chatting to a few. I know a few friends up there who couldn't get tickets and they have followed city for years home and away. Not saying it's the case but when the money comes and the success comes the people who wouldn't slum an away day in L1 but have plentty of dollar also come. With the cash they can afford to do more away days than others and soon are at the top of the loyalty points list. There support wasn't what I expected tbh and plenty of other clubs will come down and will be louder than that

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They were seriously poor, but anyone that watched on the telly box, how did we sound?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think some of the posters on here need a reality check. It is beyond the experience of ourselves to imagine what it would be like to have won numerous first division titles, and in more recent times, the PL, played in the European Cup (CL), spent insane amounts of money on players, have a 50K plus stadium..... and then have a season opener in the sunshine against, what would be to us, the equivalent of Stevenage Borough or Crawley Town (but with a slightly bigger stadium, and slightly less unhearalded and anonymous players).

The fact that City supporters did not give it large, enter the stadium pointing and chanting 'shit ground no fans' (remember that?) and gee up their players with 'Get into them - **** them up' is what sets them apart from the likes of Millwall, Leeds etc. Exprience. And the context.

If you want chanting, homophobic abuse and 'atmosphere' wait till we play the likes of Palace, Watford, Stains etc. :shrug::shrug:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think some of the posters on here need a reality check. It is beyond the experience of ourselves to imagine what it would be like to have won numerous first division titles, and in more recent times, the PL, played in the European Cup (CL), spent insane amounts of money on players, have a 50K plus stadium..... and then have a season opener in the sunshine against, what would be to us, the equivalent of Stevenage Borough or Crawley Town (but with a slightly bigger stadium, and slightly less unhearalded and anonymous players).

The fact that City supporters did not give it large, enter the stadium pointing and chanting 'shit ground no fans' (remember that?) and gee up their players with 'Get into them - **** them up' is what sets them apart from the likes of Millwall, Leeds etc. Exprience. And the context.

If you want chanting, homophobic abuse and 'atmosphere' wait till we play the likes of Palace, Watford, Stains etc. :shrug::shrug:

You don't need any of that to show a bit of passion.

And they showed none.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Funny thing about it someone has posted some Youtube video of them singing at the beginning and the donut city fans on their saying they ousting us all game.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Yep. Awful support. Suppose that's what you have to expect when a football club gets handed everything without earning it.

Jul 7, 2003
For me they seemed decent people when chatting to a few. I know a few friends up there who couldn't get tickets and they have followed city for years home and away. Not saying it's the case but when the money comes and the success comes the people who wouldn't slum an away day in L1 but have plentty of dollar also come. With the cash they can afford to do more away days than others and soon are at the top of the loyalty points list. There support wasn't what I expected tbh and plenty of other clubs will come down and will be louder than that

Spoke to a few and they all seemed pretty decent. They did seem to have an older fan base than many teams though so maybe that is why they were quieter than others.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Entitlement. It's a word we're going to have to get used to this season. City fans turned up, quite reasonably, expecting a comfortable win. As others have said, Brighton is a good day/weekend out as a city but the game itself is not a season highlight. So they stood there shielding their eyes, expecting a hatful. Per head I honestly think they were the quietest I can remember at the Amex. V poor. As we were supping near the Harveys bar before the game, stood nearby was an archetypal Manc: on his own, straggly beard and pocked eyes darting around him, sky blue trainers and windcheater, necking Red Stripe cans he pulled from his white placky bag.

More amusingly, I was cycling back to Lewes and the 28 bus stopped ahead of me and 5 City fans, middle aged and large of girth stumbled off the heaving bus, opposite The Newmarket pub. Now it was apparent that they were overnighting at this horrific chain establishment, presumably having been convinced by Booking.com that it was a rural idyll pub with rooms. Or maybe it was just cheap. Only problem was, it was now 4 lanes of 75 mph+ traffic away. They edged out into lane 1 only to be chased back by a speeding white van. One made a run for it and was stuck on the meagre central reserve. I dinged the rest off the cycle lane and as I passed there was much effing and ffsing as they contemplated their options. Risk life and limb or get the next bus down to the Ashcombe roundabout, cross on the crossing and get a bus back? Collectively, they had 'a right cob on'.

PG

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here