Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings - Man City (h)

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If Kayal had been fit I doubt Propper would have started. Ridiculous to question his signing after one game against the favourites but he did show some attacking intent, even if it was wasted by our players being nowhere near where he passed the ball. I am sure we'll see the proper Propper very soon.

Completely agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Kayal had been fit I doubt Propper would have started. Ridiculous to question his signing after one game against the favourites but he did show some attacking intent, even if it was wasted by our players being nowhere near where he passed the ball. I am sure we'll see the proper Propper very soon.

If that is so why ws he picked above Sidwell. I think that he was bought to play and did so exactly as planned.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ryan 5: Kicking was poor, error for second , nearly charged down on occasion.
Bruno 7: Technically as adept as ever, looked unruffled.
Suttner 6: Quietly solid, although City got a few chances down his wing.
Dunk 7: Some excellent blocks, unfortunate with the OG.
Duffy 6: Error let Aguerro in but luckily not punished.
March 7: Unafraid but had to do most work in his own half.
Pröpper 5: Clearly has ability, one excellent surging run but gave away possession too easily.
Stephens 5: Screened the back four well, but one error punished ruthlessly.
Brown 4: Waited for things to happen instead of making them happen.
Groß 5: Not sure he was entirely sure of his role.
Hemed 5: Too saw little of the ball and dispossessed too easily.

Subs
Murphy 6: One surging run but had no support.
Murray 5: Battling for scraps
Knockaert 5: Damage done by time he appeared.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I love listening to people who have never trained or been a keeper. Dunks header was point blank and hard and Ryan was going the wrong way, anticipating, Dunk's contact threw him. It looks bad but if he'd kept it out it would have been save of the season. Sometimes things aren't as bad as they look. he moved his hands but didnt have time to position his feet and therefore clasp the ball.

Agree on the near charge down.

Atletico Madrid last week WAS a howler.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Positives RE Pröpper, he will get better. positionally he appeared sound. Was constantly looking around to see if there was a man he should be marking. His shot that fizzed wide after the goalmouth scramble showed great technique. Overall despite some shaky moments there was enough to show that we will have a good player on our hands.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Positives RE Pröpper, he will get better. positionally he appeared sound. Was constantly looking around to see if there was a man he should be marking. His shot that fizzed wide after the goalmouth scramble showed great technique. Overall despite some shaky moments there was enough to show that we will have a good player on our hands.

He just needs another centre-mid who can do all the physical work, in the mold of Andrew Crofts.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Coincidentally it might've been the beers but from up in the gods Stephens and Pröpper look very alike in the sense that they both seem to have the same build.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Ryan 5: Kicking was poor, error for second ��, nearly charged down on occasion.
Bruno 7: Technically as adept as ever, looked unruffled.
Suttner 6: Quietly solid, although City got a few chances down his wing.
Dunk 7: Some excellent blocks, unfortunate with the OG.
Duffy 6: Error let Aguerro in but luckily not punished.
March 7: Unafraid but had to do most work in his own half.
Pröpper 5: Clearly has ability, one excellent surging run but gave away possession too easily.
Stephens 5: Screened the back four well, but one error punished ruthlessly.
Brown 4: Waited for things to happen instead of making them happen.
Groß 5: Not sure he was entirely sure of his role.
Hemed 5: Too saw little of the ball and dispossessed too easily.

Subs
Murphy 6: One surging run but had no support.
Murray 5: Battling for scraps
Knockaert 5: Damage done by time he appeared.

This is as I saw it from WSU.

Personally I think we may need to use AK up front in this sort of defensive set up as he has the skill and pace to take a defence apart. I know this will upset people but we really did not look as we had any teeth.

I did n't understand Brown's position , he looked out of place where he was surely should have been playing closer to Hemed.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Our tactics were about not getting battered and on that score Mission accomplished.
but We basically conceded the points before the game had even begun.

In contrast Burnley and huddersfield went for it, with no fear. Our damage limitation approach looked horribly dated imho. No belief at all.

Yes, I know it was city and they are brilliant but we approached the game like we were a league two club. Singing the great escape before the game, wtf was that all about? We are in the same league.

We need to get over over our inferiority complex and fear right now, or we are going to struggle.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
My ratings after due reflection ... and not having watched the highlights yet.

Ryan 7. A couple of really good saves; the goal from Dunk's header looked a little bit too much like the one that slipped thru his fingers against Athletico; distribution OK, but too much booting upfield onto the heads of the City defenders.
Bruno 8. I think there's an error on his birth certificate. He MUST be younger than he tells us. Good game with some lovely touches. A couple of errors, but to be expected against such opposition.
Duffy 7. Loses a point for the one crazy pack pass that should have lead to a City goal. Otherwise a good performance against one of the best strike forces in the league.
Dunk 8. Loses a point for the og, but gains it back for the sublime crossfield pass. Otherwise a confident performance.
Suttner 7. Decent debut. Look forward to seeing him get forward more against other teams.
Stephens 5. So he finally gets his Premier League chance and bottles it. No better than average all game and then stupidly loses the ball to almost gift City their first goal. Maybe, just maybe he would have had a better game playing alongside Kayal or Sidwell.
Propper 6. Probably not the wisest decision to stick him straight into the starting line-up against the top team in the league, but no doubt Kayal's injury forced Hughton's hand. Personally I would have played Sidwell. Started off poorly but did improve as the game developed. Clearly has potential ... at least I bloody well hope so!
Brown 5. I thought he was surprisingly poor before his injury. Expected more.
March 8. Super game both defensively and going forward. MoM.
Gross 7. I thought he had a decent game. Better than most on here seem to think. Great addition to the squad.
Hemed 5. Not as bad as many believe. Yes he's too slow, but won a surprising number of headers and put himself about. Standing ovation when he was subbed which a player with a 3 or 4 rating wouldn't surely receive. However I cannot understand why he was selected ahead of Murray who was first choice striker for the whole of last season. Strange decision.

Subs:
Murphy 6. Did better than I expected. Stuck to his task and did not look overawed.
Murray 6. Hardly saw anything of the ball. Should have started.
Knockaert 7. Should have been given more time. Probably would have been if not for Brown injury.

Thought we played much too defensively and gave City too much respect. I would rather have seen us play a more attacking game and create a few chances even if that would have resulted in a 4 nil defeat. It was a game we were going to lose anyway. We need a pacy striker!!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Ryan - 6 Hmm.......far from convincing and is he the smallest GK in the PL?
Bruno - 7 Coped really well. Showed his class
Duffy - 8 Looked very solid
Dunk - 7
Sutner - 7
Stephens - 5 If he has got it, he has to do better. If he hasn't, we got a problem
Propper - 4 Seemed very short of what is required
Gross - 5
March - 8 Seemed to be our solitary threat MOM
Hemed - 5 What more could he do isolated up front?
Brown - 3 Looked out of his depth from the get-go

Murphy - 6 Did ok
Murray - 3 What more could he do isolated up front?
Knocky - 5 WTF was the point in bringing him on when we were 2-0 down? The time for him to make his entrance was at 1-0. Why risk him when game was already out of reach? Poor decision by CH

I agree with sussex_guy2k2's overall summary. Parking the bus, particularly at home, is not an option if we aspire to survive.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Flashes of good play from some,flashes of brain still on holiday from others,but not too bad overall.Might have been a a different game if Citeh had been forced into being more defensive from a Murphy goal.Only player marked down in the paper was Duffy.Glad it hasn't turned into an utter binfest-onwards & upwards,UTA.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My ratings after due reflection ... and not having watched the highlights yet.

Ryan 7. A couple of really good saves; the goal from Dunk's header looked a little bit too much like the one that slipped thru his fingers against Athletico; distribution OK, but too much booting upfield onto the heads of the City defenders.
Bruno 8. I think there's an error on his birth certificate. He MUST be younger than he tells us. Good game with some lovely touches. A couple of errors, but to be expected against such opposition.
Duffy 7. Loses a point for the one crazy pack pass that should have lead to a City goal. Otherwise a good performance against one of the best strike forces in the league.
Dunk 8. Loses a point for the og, but gains it back for the sublime crossfield pass. Otherwise a confident performance.
Suttner 7. Decent debut. Look forward to seeing him get forward more against other teams.
Stephens 5. So he finally gets his Premier League chance and bottles it. No better than average all game and then stupidly loses the ball to almost gift City their first goal. Maybe, just maybe he would have had a better game playing alongside Kayal or Sidwell.
Propper 6. Probably not the wisest decision to stick him straight into the starting line-up against the top team in the league, but no doubt Kayal's injury forced Hughton's hand. Personally I would have played Sidwell. Started off poorly but did improve as the game developed. Clearly has potential ... at least I bloody well hope so!
Brown 5. I thought he was surprisingly poor before his injury. Expected more.
March 8. Super game both defensively and going forward. MoM.
Gross 7. I thought he had a decent game. Better than most on here seem to think. Great addition to the squad.
Hemed 5. Not as bad as many believe. Yes he's too slow, but won a surprising number of headers and put himself about. Standing ovation when he was subbed which a player with a 3 or 4 rating wouldn't surely receive. However I cannot understand why he was selected ahead of Murray who was first choice striker for the whole of last season. Strange decision.

Subs:
Murphy 6. Did better than I expected. Stuck to his task and did not look overawed.
Murray 6. Hardly saw anything of the ball. Should have started.
Knockaert 7. Should have been given more time. Probably would have been if not for Brown injury.

Thought we played much too defensively and gave City too much respect. I would rather have seen us play a more attacking game and create a few chances even if that would have resulted in a 4 nil defeat. It was a game we were going to lose anyway. We need a pacy striker!!

fair comment....we gave the ball away too much and were very defensive....parking the bus at home ...?? well you ain't gonna park the bus for 90 minutes against citeh.....dicking around with the ball at the back and turning attacking opportunities into back passing all the way to the keeper are two things we need to erase from our repertoire imho.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Our tactics were about not getting battered and on that score Mission accomplished.

In contrast Burnley and huddersfield went for it, with no fear. Our damage limitation approach looked horribly dated imho. No belief at all.

Yes, I know it was city and they are brilliant but we approached the game like we were a league two club. Singing the great escape before the game, wtf was that all about? We are in the same league.

We need to get over over our inferiority complex and fear right now, or we are going to struggle.

Totally disagree, but that's football!

We had to be pragmatic. Like it or not, they are far superior to us so the tactics we employed were, in my opinion, the only ones we could have employed to avoid a thrashing. Anything else would have left City with so much space to stroll around at will, with the inevitable consequences.

Some of this season will not be pretty, but we need to survive in this division and improve year on year. Would you prefer us to play more attractive football but finish bottom with an horrendous goal difference?

We'll have the opportunity to play more positive football against the lesser teams in the division and, hopefully, in subsequent seasons when we have been able to continually build a better squad.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I don't see what relevance Burnley and Huddersfield have. Huddersfield were away to Palace (a completely different proposition to Manchester City) and Burnley were playing against ten men for most of the match (and even then sat back in the second half and could easily have failed to win against nine men in the end).

I am not sure what your point is about conceding the points before the game began. We held them for 70 minutes and, in that time, had chances to score. If one of them had gone in, the result could have been different. Or if Stephens had not made the mistake.

We got the tactics completely right. If we had pressurised City higher up the pitch or attacked more, we would probably have lost by a lot more goals. You only have to look at their first goal to see what happened when we got caught with too many players upfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here