Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings - Man City (h)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm very confident he won't get worse.

Has there been a worse debut? Probably. But for a record signing?! He must have given the ball away in dangerous situations at least half a dozen times. It's one thing to not know your team mates, but surely he can recognise the colour of the shirt?

Things can only get better...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ryan 7.5
Bruno 8.5 MOM
Dunk 8 (would have been 9 but for OG)
Duffy 8
Suttner 6
Stephens 6 (would have been 7 but mistake for goal)
Propper 3
March 7
Brown 7 (looked prommising until injury)
Gross 5
Hemed 4

Murphy 4
Murray 6
Knocky 7

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ryan 7
Bruno 7.5
Dunk 7
Duffy 6
Suttner 6.5
Stephens 7
Propper 4
March 7.5
Brown 5
Gross 6
Hemed 4.5

Murphy 6
Murray 5
Kernockaert 6

no individual slagging as the team are still sussing each other out ....vast improvement needed from Propper and Hemed although as i kept telling myself it was Citeh with their 500 million pound squad.....we turned attack into defence for the first goal with Murphy unsupported up front deciding to initiate the passage of the ball back to Ryan via Duffy , the resulting hoof seeing DS robbed by De Bruyne and setting up Aguero , Dunks header should have been saved really........all in all we gave the ball away far too much and really offered not a lot going forward but then again......it was Citeh......

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
Ryan 8 - thought Ryan was very good today - although might have done better with the second goal

Bruno 7 - have to admit I was unsure how Bruno would get on in the Prem but he more than held his own
Suttner 7
Dunk 8
Duffy 7

(Defence as a whole looked very solid considering we were playing Citeh)

Stephens 5
Propper 6 - I think people are being harsh on Propper, granted he had some sloppy moments, but he did seem to come into it later on in the game
March 9 - March was a different class today. Absolute quality
Brown 8 - for the short time he was on, he looked like an attacking threat

Gross 5
Hemed 4

(Because of the way we set up, you can't really read much into the performances of Gross and Hemed, they were always going to be anonymous in this match)

Murray 5
Murphy 7
Knockaert 7 - He's going to make a big difference when he's fully fit

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Ryan - distribution ordinary and let in a goal he should have saved. How is that more than a 5 at best?

Bruno - great relief. Sound defensively and one of only two players with any poise on the ball. 7

Suttner - 6 Did fine

Dunk 6 - caught out of position for both goals but gets bonus points for those long range passes

Duffy 5 Lucky he didn't give away a goal

Stephens 5 ordinary and did give away a goal

Propper 4 oh dear. Ince would have showed more speed of thought and passing ability

Murphy 6 Did better than Brown at keeping Walker quiet and got forward too

March 8 Real class on the ball and solid defensively. Will attract a £25m bid in Jan if he keeps playing like that.

Gross 5 - at least one beautiful pass and kept the shape defensively well

Hemed 3 Too slow for the Championship. Why was he out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ryan 7
Bruno 9 MOM
Dunk 8
Duffy 8
Suttner 7
Stephens 5
Propper 2
March 8
Brown 7 (excellent but not on long enough)
Gross 6 (but no service)
Hemed 3

Murphy 5

No point ranking Murray and Knocky.

Seriously underwhelming debut from a record signing who can hopefully only improve. We need a Premier League quality striker asap.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Ryan - distribution ordinary and let in a goal he should have saved. How is that more than a 5 at best?

Bruno - great relief. Sound defensively and one of only two players with any poise on the ball. 7

Suttner - 6 Did fine

Dunk 6 - caught out of position for both goals but gets bonus points for those long range passes

Duffy 5 Lucky he didn't give away a goal

Stephens 5 ordinary and did give away a goal

Propper 4 oh dear. Ince would have showed more speed of thought and passing ability

Murphy 6 Did better than Brown at keeping Walker quiet and got forward too

March 8 Real class on the ball and solid defensively. Will attract a £25m bid in Jan if he keeps playing like that.

Gross 5 - at least one beautiful pass and kept the shape defensively well

Hemed 3 Too slow for the Championship. Why was he out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruno was better than March but otherwise i agree with everything else. Ryan doens't deserve more than a 5 for the reasons you say. Two games and two costly mistakes. Poor signing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm curious as to what benefit a fast Hemed would have been?

The way I saw the game if Tomer was quick he'd have just been even further away from all his teammates.

If we had a forward with pace there might have been someone in the box when Murphy made a breakaway down the wing only to end up with Albion players only just coming over the halfway line when he was in a position to cross.

That's when..could have given us three points too :wink:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Ryan 7 - world class saves in the first half. Needs to work on getting his body behind the ball.

Dunk 7 - threw his body at everything. Will attract attention if he plays that well every week. Unlucky with the OG

Duffy 7 - won almost every ball in the air but at fault for nearly gifting Aguero a goal

Stephens 5- not convinced on last two games that he is EPL quality

Propper 6 first game and only been training with the club for 4 days. Played a couple of stray passes but looks like he could be a useful addition

Bruno 8 how is this guy nearly 37. Didn't look out of his depth as many including myself feared MOM for me

Suttner 7 quality player good signing

Gross 6 had to play deep but he worked so hard. Impressive.
Hemed 6 like gross, he worked his socks off, but sometimes huff and puff isn't enough and he is way to slow to lead the line in a 4-2-3-1

Brown - 3 didn't get the chance to impress before he went off

March 8 scared the shit out of city so much so that they had to double up on him. Top class performance and I've said all summer he has come in under the radar and will surprise a few teams

Murphy 6 surprisingly impressive performance worked hard

Murray/Knockaert 3 - didn't get chance to impact the game

Thoughts: we aren't going to play City every week and the Leicester game will be a tough one. I think that we need another CB. Someone with an experienced head to steer the four we have through.

A RB is on his way, but on yesterday's performance Bruno is still capable of playing at a top level.

We must go and sign an experienced EPL midfielder. I think that this is vital.

We all know that we need a striker, but yesterday it was glaringly clear how urgently this needs to happen. Bloom et all need to make this signing before next weekend and it needs to be someone who is tall, fast and powerful. I watched the Huddersfield game and they have Mounie up front who is exactly the type of player we should have signed.

apart from that I think we will be ok, but I can see us going into September without a win. However that's three tough games out of the way early doors.

Last edited:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Ryan - 7 - save from Jesus was top quality. Question mark over the Dunk header but tough to blame him

Bruno - 8 - one of only a small number of players who looked right at home in the PL against top opposition.

Dunk - 7 - again, looks very much at home at this level. Shame about the OG.

Duffy - 6 - not quite as assured as Dunk, but did well

Suttner - 6 - beaten a couple of times, but looks good on the ball. Against lesser opponents I think he'll do a job at this level.

Brown - 6 - shame he had to go off, but over the Athletico game and early minutes yesterday, he looks as though he has pace and strength - both qualities we lack. Until we get the elusive new striker in, could he play more centrally - particularly given that we have no shortage of wingers.

Stephens - 5 - one of the players who looked like rabbits in headlights early on and struggled to get into the game, made wasteful passes and fouls. However, he played the sublime diagonal pass to set up Murphy for our best and only real chance in the first half.

Propper - 4 - looked as though he had never played with his team-mates before....to be fair, he did improve and showed glimpses of ability.

Murphy - 5 - tried hard but I think it's clear that this is a level too far for him. Really should have scored with the first half opportunity - just needed more composure.

Gross - 5 - one of the best players against athletico, but didn't accomplish much this time. Fairly anonymous, except for being offside on the odd occasion we got into their half.

March - 8 - excellent defensively and going forward. Another who clearly backs himself to thrive this season.

Hemed - 4 - was always going to be isolated in this formation against this opposition, but looks painfully slow and short of the quality needed

Murray - 5 - only marginally better than Hemed, but made his presence felt a bit more

Knockaert - 6 - should have come on 10-15 mins earlier. With his pace and ability he provided an outlet which we lacked all game - especially after Brown went off, but didn't have time / opportunity to create chances.

Hughton - 5 - to be fair, he must have feared that we could have been annihilated by 5 or 6 in this game, which might have shattered our confidence, so opted instead to make us hard to beat. But we need to be more positive at home.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Ryan - 7 - second goal wasnt his fault and I thought he did a good job and made one great save. Not as confident as I would like though.
Bruno - 7 - expected him to be slow and off the pace (he is 36!!!) but thought he did fine.
Duffy - 6 - Becuas eof the one ricket he got away with. Generally steady but coup[ld of times he seemed on the edge of panic.
Dunk 7 - Good game unlucky about own goal
Suttner -7 - good game but was often left horriblly under-supported. Better than I expected.
Propper - 4 - he was supposed to be our passing man but he was pretty awful. Hope its just a case of getting used to as arrived only last week.
Stephens - 4 - oh dear. If hew ants to be seen as a premiership player he has to do ebtter than this. Some awful tackiling lunging in around the box and responsible for one of their goals. Must do better.
Brown - n/a - on for only a short time. certainly harried but bit headless chicken.
March - 7 - did really well gong forward and coming back but did tire near the end.
Hemed - 6 - Hustled and hustled, won headers but never got a sniff up front on his own.
Gross -5 - needed to support Hemed more and kept being caught offside. Flashes of potential though.

Murphy - 5 - Not premiership quality and messed up our best chance
Murray and Knockaert - 7 - Maybe it was too late, maybe people were tired but these two made us look a whole lot better going forward. Next match Murray should start ahead of Hemed and sooner Knocky is back the better.

Hughton - They say that first games set the tone but I hope not. Not 100% sure but it was either nerves or Hughton's tactics that were responsible for ultra defensiveness. Maybe Im being unfair but this i what got Hughton in trouble at Norwich. We cant afford to play 10 behind he ball at home and survive in this division.... even against man city. We've all been here many times before and know that if we go deep we end up keep giving the ball away and against Man City that was suicide.

Not a bad result and signs of potential. We won't be easy to beat but we lost because we made mistakes at crucial moments. Those mistakes have to be rectified. You can't do that in the Premiership.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Ryan doens't deserve more than a 5 for the reasons you say. Two games and two costly mistakes. Poor signing

Over the top in my opinion.

Neither mistake has been costly.

However it is a bit concerning that both goals have been similar. A combination of lack of concentration and technique.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Over the top in my opinion.

Neither mistake has been costly.

However it is a bit concerning that both goals have been similar. A combination of lack of concentration and technique.

That is not true because at 1-0 down we could have got an equalizer and the 2nd goal killed us off, Unlikely on our attacking options but possible. It is a worry that Ryan has made a number of good saves but gifted 2 goals in the 2 appearances at The Amex but I am sure that Ben Roberts will work on it. Stockdale didn't start without criticism so lets not write him off.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
That is not true because at 1-0 down we could have got an equalizer and the 2nd goal killed us off, Unlikely on our attacking options but possible. It is a worry that Ryan has made a number of good saves but gifted 2 goals in the 2 appearances at The Amex but I am sure that Ben Roberts will work on it. Stockdale didn't start without criticism so lets not write him off.

I think we have two different interpretations of costly. For me it needs to cost us a point or two.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
My interpretation is that 1-0 down you may always get an equaliser and a draw but at 2- 0 down late on you have probably lost the game,.

What contrived reasoning to justify your criticism. If he'd saved it, the rest of the game from that moment on would have been completely different to what actually happened, and City might have gone on to score three more!

I'm not sure it was an error anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here