Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Izzy Brown

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8066529 said:
I don't agree! I thought Izzy looked quality, and if we'd have had more cool heads on the ball we would have been able to gradually get a foothold in midfield. Losing him made it that much harder for us to string a few passes together, take the pressure off the defence and gain confidence. While he may not have tracked back quite as enthusiastically as Murphy I actually think his contributions would have helped us get going.

Agree with this - I thought he was showing promise and, like the rest of the team, was getting into the game when he got injured.

Apr 12, 2011
Comfortable in possession but derelict of duties covering back
I thought he worked particularly hard defensively last Sunday vs Athletico though - one of the main things I noticed was his tracking back and getting stuck in down that left hand side.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Izzie left the ground post game on crutches.

Could be put for a while then?

Despite playing on the left, his most important role was as cover for Groß. If he is out for while, we should get Lawrence. He didn't make the Leicester squad on Friday so he should be available.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Izzie left the ground post game on crutches.

Yep. Should be back for West Brom.

Jose & Murphy will likely play there I'd think.

Brown will be useful to help unlock stubborn defences, but I'm not sure he's really suited to games where we'll have under 30% possession.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think we were a bit overawed by the City 'superstars' today

Would explain why Huddersfield looked so comfortable in their game.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Yep. Should be back for West Brom.

Jose & Murphy will likely play there I'd think.

Brown will be useful to help unlock stubborn defences, but I'm not sure he's really suited to games where we'll have under 30% possession.

I was impressed with Jamie Murphy yesterday. Some, perhaps many, thought he might not be up to it in the Premier League but how wrong that looked. Held the ball up well, looked to go forward in frankly, very difficult circumstances and defended tenaciously. I thought he was one of real positives from the game.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was impressed with Jamie Murphy yesterday. Some, perhaps many, thought he might not be up to it in the Premier League but how wrong that looked. Held the ball up well, looked to go forward in frankly, very difficult circumstances and defended tenaciously. I thought he was one of real positives from the game.

Complete rubbish. Where do you sit?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think maybe judge him on a full 90. Maybe against a team not expected to win the league. Maybe. What do I know?

Not even 90 minutes, judge him over half a dozan games or so. As others have rightly said we looked nervous yesterday, but totally understandable l think, as it was our first ever game in the Premier League, and we were playing the team who may well end up as champions. I'm sure it won't be typical of our season as a whole.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

which game were you at ?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I obviously beg to differ. My opinion. I thought he did well. West Upper.

You're welcome to differ, that's the point of this forum. If you'd said North or South first few rows I'd have called time because perspectives are important in assessing the game. You have a good view from the West Upper but I'm surprised you thought he played well. He had an opportunity or two to cross, and didn't. He doesn't offer us anything from set pieces, either attacking or defending, he is quick over longer distances but slow over the first 10/15 yards which is exposed against bigger, stronger, quicker players.

He's just not even close to Premier League standard if you don't want to be scrapping against relegation as your only aim. For this season it's perfectly acceptable to have players around the squad like him, and obviously Hughton agrees he's not up to it because he's bringing in Izquierdo for record money. I don't dislike Murphy, not at all. I just don't rate him as being good enough for this level. I think he was overtaken by the squad quality when March came back from injury and Skalak came in. He appears ahead of Skalak, which is why he was involved ahead of him in the squad, but neither are good enough.

The standard of the squad has improved but the fans expectations haven't.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
You're welcome to differ, that's the point of this forum. If you'd said North or South first few rows I'd have called time because perspectives are important in assessing the game. You have a good view from the West Upper but I'm surprised you thought he played well. He had an opportunity or two to cross, and didn't. He doesn't offer us anything from set pieces, either attacking or defending, he is quick over longer distances but slow over the first 10/15 yards which is exposed against bigger, stronger, quicker players.

He's just not even close to Premier League standard if you don't want to be scrapping against relegation as your only aim. For this season it's perfectly acceptable to have players around the squad like him, and obviously Hughton agrees he's not up to it because he's bringing in Izquierdo for record money. I don't dislike Murphy, not at all. I just don't rate him as being good enough for this level. I think he was overtaken by the squad quality when March came back from injury and Skalak came in. He appears ahead of Skalak, which is why he was involved ahead of him in the squad, but neither are good enough.

The standard of the squad has improved but the fans expectations haven't.

You make some good points. He will be a squad player and I doubt he'll start many games and of course we will need better players in the Premiership and believe me, I'm a realist about upgrading some of the team, but in the context of yesterday I thought he was one of our better players. Other than the defence, Solly was the stand-out but overall, Murphy did pretty well against top, top opposition. Make no mistake, this season will be all about a relegation battle. I would have thought all Brighton fans should understand that even if Murphy is no-where near the first team.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
When he was sat behind home bench in second half was happily posing for photo with a very young seagull fan on his lap - must have been about 18 months old or so - came across as very down to earth and approachable

Think he will surprise a few people

He will follow to the letter whatever CH tells him to do tactics wise - same as Solly did doubling up on Bruno all game

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You make some good points. He will be a squad player and I doubt he'll start many games and of course we will need better players in the Premiership and believe me, I'm a realist about upgrading some of the team, but in the context of yesterday I thought he was one of our better players. Other than the defence, Solly was the stand-out but overall, Murphy did pretty well against top, top opposition. Make no mistake, this season will be all about a relegation battle. I would have thought all Brighton fans should understand that even if Murphy is no-where near the first team.

There's no denial from anyone that we'll be in a relegation battle. But there will be a clear correlation between the number of games played by Murphy, Bong, Baldock et all and our final finishing position. If we close the window in a position whereby those mentioned only play when we have a lot of injuries, then we'll be in a strong position. If we're having to rely on them to come in on a regular basis, we're going to be right up against it.

This league is a class above, there'll be no shame wherever we finish. But I don't subscribe to the "they got us there, give them a chance" theory. Sorry about it, but you're either up to it or you're not and for some there's a fair amount of certainty they're not up to it. It's not a criticism of the players though, this is the major difference in the last few years. We used to sit here and slate players who would leave us and disappear never to be seen again. Nowadays, we're criticising players of Championship standard. It's been quite a good 5 years!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have we now officially jumped the shark.

I assume NSC has run out of steam slagging off the players who looked to struggle while clearly and naturally out of their depth.
Now it's time for those who attempted to step up and take the game to City, to get it.

By my reckoning Tuesday at 10.23, Bruno and Solly will be called shitehouse. :facepalm:

This place has been an embarrassment even for socially inept fat blokes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here