Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This with bells on. I'm not a fan of these sorts of things but without Ed Bassford we probably wouldn't have the Amex and therefore extremely unlikely to be in the PL today. That man deserved this a dozen times over.

I'm all for this minutes applause, but, a dozen would probably finish me off!!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Real choker seeing Ed's face on the scoreboard. It really hit home.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I met Roz after the game and she was thrilled with the applause. People around her said it was the best minutes applause we'd had at the Amex.
Ed deserved it, even though he would have been chuckling at us doing it.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think people are missing the point of this post and the abuse is way over the top. What I think he is trying to say is that there is a better way of celebrating the recently deceased than a minutes applause in a game where people were distracted by the events in the pitch. I don't personally agree but I think it's a reasonable point that's not as disrespectful as people are making out. I don't know Lord B, but appreciate what he did for the Albion. That's all

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Explained in an Aldershot Pub who Lord B was and what it meant to people and as proper Football fans it was well accepted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know today's was important, but please let that be the last. In a game like that, I just don't think it's helpful, or anywhere near a fitting tribute as all are on the edge of their seats. God forbid what happens when we concede during one.

You are a cock

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I met Roz after the game and she was thrilled with the applause. People around her said it was the best minutes applause we'd had at the Amex.
Ed deserved it, even though he would have been chuckling at us doing it.

Would he have wanted it, probably no.
Did he deserve it, certainly yes.

I thought it was lovely.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
This is the kind of man that it rightly SHOULD happen for. Someone who meant so much to so many people throughout the club and went to extraudinary lengths to keep this club alive while many others detached themselves and waited for us to become good again.

I will not change my opinion though, that this kind of thing has no place during live sports for (and I know it sounds harsh) less extraordinary people. Before the match or after the match, sure. I think this is what the op was getting at, just not very delicately or timely. Did we have one for Graham Taylor? This is the kind of example I would give for it being out of place, great football man though he was, I do not want to applaud his life in the middle of an albion match nor do I want to for a supporter of 60+ years. Christ I hope I get to support the albion for that long and I will not want a clap for doing so once I kick the bucket.

There are exceptions of course, like for Ed, Paul Whelch, Roy Chuter... but I can imagine it being difficult for the club to assess whose life was important enough to remember in this way, and where is the line is drawn between those 'worthy' of it and those not.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Anyone worthy of a minute's applause during play is also worthy of a minute's silence/applause before it. Nobody is suggesting that he isn't worthy of the recognition (except maybe the man himself, but he doesn't get a say in it!), it's just the shape that recognition should take.

It's a discussion worth having as there are more people from the Falmer For All campaign still with us, who at some point won't be. How should we show our thanks and appreciation when that time comes?

I'm immensely proud of what Dad did for the club, and overwhelmed by what the club did for us and him yesterday, but was it "right"? It's a valid question to ask, and abuse for asking it is uncalled for.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Nice to be on our feet for Lord B. Great for the Albion to actually have control of the ball in midfield for more than 30 seconds for the only time in the match at exactly this time. Why didn't someone shoot, then we could have attributed the first goal of the premier league to LB? Typical of the Albion to concede instantly after this!! I'm sure he was chuckling away on high

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Point of order - what is the correct procedure if the opposition score during a minutes applause? Does everyone ignore it and carry on?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'll miss seeing Ed at the football. He always had time for a chat.

A top guy, without whom I don't think we'd have got our stadium. A minutes applause was the least we could do.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it was a fitting tribute to Ed but on a personal note, not that I shall be in that position, but I prefer that it is done before kick off rather than during the game and the game is left to continue but I am sure others will disagree just a matter of choice.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's clear that Ed deserved it. It was right. Albion were attacking too (at that point). I was so willing them on.

The timing of the original post and its current example is what caused me annoyance here rather than the question being posed.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This with bells on. I'm not a fan of these sorts of things but without Ed Bassford we probably wouldn't have the Amex and therefore extremely unlikely to be in the PL today. That man deserved this a dozen times over.
I know many worship knight but in my eyes it was the fans that got us where we're and bloom took us to the next level....fans like this great man in LB were massive in our quest in surviving.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I didn't know there was one

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think that it was a fitting tribute to Ed but on a personal note, not that I shall be in that position, but I prefer that it is done before kick off rather than during the game and the game is left to continue but I am sure others will disagree just a matter of choice.

I agree, a minute's applause before kick-off. During the game, you are trying to concentrate on the match and, as others have said. what happens if a goal is scored during that minute? I don't know when it became a 'thing' to have it during the match but before ko would be much better.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here