Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Glory hunting since 1969 lawros left foot's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This with bells on. I'm not a fan of these sorts of things but without Ed Bassford we probably wouldn't have the Amex and therefore extremely unlikely to be in the PL today. That man deserved this a dozen times over.
    I'm all for this minutes applause, but, a dozen would probably finish me off!!
    You be glad you be Sussex born!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Real choker seeing Ed's face on the scoreboard. It really hit home.
      KobanÓ liberated 26th Jan 2015 = Modern day Stalingrad
      RIP Ceylan Ozalp, 19
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zqu...dex=11&list=WL
      Together (sometimes) Thunder Bolt's Avatar

7 Not allowed!
      I met Roz after the game and she was thrilled with the applause. People around her said it was the best minutes applause we'd had at the Amex.
      Ed deserved it, even though he would have been chuckling at us doing it.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I think people are missing the point of this post and the abuse is way over the top. What I think he is trying to say is that there is a better way of celebrating the recently deceased than a minutes applause in a game where people were distracted by the events in the pitch. I don't personally agree but I think it's a reasonable point that's not as disrespectful as people are making out. I don't know Lord B, but appreciate what he did for the Albion. That's all

0 Not allowed!
      Explained in an Aldershot Pub who Lord B was and what it meant to people and as proper Football fans it was well accepted.
      In The ex Legion now known as Lower Bourne Social Club again

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr deez View Post
      I know today's was important, but please let that be the last. In a game like that, I just don't think it's helpful, or anywhere near a fitting tribute as all are on the edge of their seats. God forbid what happens when we concede during one.
      You are a cock
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      I met Roz after the game and she was thrilled with the applause. People around her said it was the best minutes applause we'd had at the Amex.
      Ed deserved it, even though he would have been chuckling at us doing it.
      Would he have wanted it, probably no.
      Did he deserve it, certainly yes.

I thought it was lovely.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

9 Not allowed!
      I was proud to stand and applaud that man.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

0 Not allowed!
      This is the kind of man that it rightly SHOULD happen for. Someone who meant so much to so many people throughout the club and went to extraudinary lengths to keep this club alive while many others detached themselves and waited for us to become good again.

I will not change my opinion though, that this kind of thing has no place during live sports for (and I know it sounds harsh) less extraordinary people. Before the match or after the match, sure. I think this is what the op was getting at, just not very delicately or timely. Did we have one for Graham Taylor? This is the kind of example I would give for it being out of place, great football man though he was, I do not want to applaud his life in the middle of an albion match nor do I want to for a supporter of 60+ years. Christ I hope I get to support the albion for that long and I will not want a clap for doing so once I kick the bucket.

There are exceptions of course, like for Ed, Paul Whelch, Roy Chuter... but I can imagine it being difficult for the club to assess whose life was important enough to remember in this way, and where is the line is drawn between those 'worthy' of it and those not.

5 Not allowed!
      Anyone worthy of a minute's applause during play is also worthy of a minute's silence/applause before it. Nobody is suggesting that he isn't worthy of the recognition (except maybe the man himself, but he doesn't get a say in it!), it's just the shape that recognition should take.

It's a discussion worth having as there are more people from the Falmer For All campaign still with us, who at some point won't be. How should we show our thanks and appreciation when that time comes?

I'm immensely proud of what Dad did for the club, and overwhelmed by what the club did for us and him yesterday, but was it "right"? It's a valid question to ask, and abuse for asking it is uncalled for.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
      "For 50 quid you're gonna want some ding & dong!!" - SB