Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 414849505152 LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 517
  1. #501
    On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    43,182


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acker79 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have the time to read all of this thread. Has anyone pointed out Man City defended corners and free kicks with all 11 men in their own box? A man considered one of the best managers in the world using the same tactic our manager uses and is challenged on by fans at the fans forum.
    Could have something to do with the fact that they are so creative so don't even have to think about hitting teams on the break.. They will expect to score from open play. Only one team had that luxury yesterday so why not defend in depth when you only have to do it about four times in the game? Same tactic completely different thinking behind it I suggest. We set up for a point and completely understandably so, but more often than not that tactic will not work at this level imo.
    Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #502
      Members OzMike's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Perth Australia
      Posts
      7,400


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      ha ha ...good lad....bring the dustbin into the kitchen then you won't even need to put the rubbish out.....what pub are you frequenting..?
      I live in the hills and go to the local country club, I just got back.
      Bed soon, getting Sunday night 'pre work on Monday' blues.
      Jimmy Melia's shoes.
    • #503
      tinky ****in winky sydney's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      town full of eejits
      Posts
      10,042


      0 Not allowed!
      Araluen..?
      FLOUNDERING...!!!
    • #504
      Members OzMike's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Perth Australia
      Posts
      7,400


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Araluen..?
      I do go there but mostly to the Roleystone Club, it's nearer and 150 Lashes is $9 a pint to members.
      Jimmy Melia's shoes.
    • #505
      Members Brightonfan1983's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      3,947


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Quote Originally Posted by OzMike View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I don't fancy our chances much against Leicester to be honest, going by the way they took the game to Arsenal.
      What with parachute payments etc. I thought we would have tried to play with more impact.
      If we are to be relegated I would rather it went with a bang than a whimper.
      It was not pretty, in fact from my perspective it was an incredibly dull game as we were overwhelmed from the first minute. If we had hung on for a point, which Stephen's mistake aside, we could well have done, it would have been a great result.

      Taking the game to City with the forwards we have available would have meant an absolute thrashing would have been the likely outcome. We are so not ready for this league with our current strike force that until we do sign Izquierda and a pacy forward we are going to be defending with 11 men behind the ball imo.

      Plenty of games this season are going to be about hanging on, but contrary to what you say we are not relegated after one game against the pre/season favourites. If we don't get a quality forward in by the close of the window I'd say we have a very good chance of getting relegated, unfortunately. I am sure the powers that be are well aware of this through.
      We've all had some experience, at park, local, whatever level, of playing against a team that were light years ahead, and getting thumped 11-0. There's nothing you can do. And it's horrible.

      It was Man City yesterday. Man City. And watching them, you could see over a third of a billion quid on the pitch and whatever one thinks of 'the market' and those prices, they were that much much better than us. It won't be like yesterday too often, that's for sure.

      And besides, we lost 2-0 against Brentford last season.
      Squat Cobbler
    • #506
      tinky ****in winky sydney's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      town full of eejits
      Posts
      10,042


      0 Not allowed!
      ....not been there , bit of a drive for me.
      FLOUNDERING...!!!
    • #507

      Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City *** Official Match Thread ***


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

      Taking the game to City with the forwards we have available would have meant an absolute thrashing would have been the likely outcome. We are so not ready for this league with our current strike force that until we do sign Izquierda and a pacy forward we are going to be defending with 11 men behind the ball imo.
      Exactly and imagine if we had gone for it and got thrashed. Not great for the confidence of a team who are all making a huge step up and will be building confidence and understanding at this level. Hughton set us up to protect ourselves yesterday and whilst not pretty was completely the right thing to do.

      There are a lot of positives the team can take from yesterday which will help us in the games where the gulf in quality is not quite so vast.
    • #508
      Members
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Location
      Along the Shoreham Road in er, Shoreham
      Posts
      3,413


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by FloatLeft View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I missed the last 5 minutes of the half due to queuing for a pint but Propper has been propper pants but it can't be easy for a debut game. March has been amazing though.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Did you leave after the 2nd goal?
      Lording it in WSL
    • #509
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      24,400


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Could have something to do with the fact that they are so creative so don't even have to think about hitting teams on the break.. They will expect to score from open play. Only one team had that luxury yesterday so why not defend in depth when you only have to do it about four times in the game? Same tactic completely different thinking behind it I suggest. We set up for a point and completely understandably so, but more often than not that tactic will not work at this level imo.
      True. But the guy at the fans forum wasn't thinking specifically about yesterday, his question was based on his frustration of watching us defending with 11 men last season when often times we were the team that didn't have to think about hitting teams on the break, that only had to defend four times a game sometimes. Yes, this season we will have a different reason for defending with 11 men, but that's not where the criticism of Hughton's use of this tactic started.

      If defending Hughton's use of the tactic is something one is into, it might be something to keep an eye out in other Man City games when they play other top teams and have to defend more. I suspect it's a preference, like zonal v man marking, defenders on the posts at corners, etc. Positives and negatives, but it appears to be a preference shared by pep and chris.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more
    • #510
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      43,182


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Acker79 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      True. But the guy at the fans forum wasn't thinking specifically about yesterday, his question was based on his frustration of watching us defending with 11 men last season when often times we were the team that didn't have to think about hitting teams on the break, that only had to defend four times a game sometimes. Yes, this season we will have a different reason for defending with 11 men, but that's not where the criticism of Hughton's use of this tactic started.

      If defending Hughton's use of the tactic is something one is into, it might be something to keep an eye out in other Man City games when they play other top teams and have to defend more. I suspect it's a preference, like zonal v man marking, defenders on the posts at corners, etc. Positives and negatives, but it appears to be a preference shared by pep and chris.
      Fair comments. It does however, imo, take away an attacking option when you don't have many. I would also assume if a player is left on the halfway line the opposition might throw one less player in to the box.

      But in truth WTF do I know, I accept this
      Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •