Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Priestfield experience - For the benefit of Bigtomfu

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
March 1998 Brighton 0 Hartlepool 0,bus replacement services . Im sure you saw worse ,but this was the worst game of Football i've seen ever.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
"The Businessman moved forward, with a silence about his footsteps that would have been quite unnerving, had there been another soul around to fear it. But there was no-one, with the exception of the Small Man, and not a sound but that of the raindrops now clattering the cracked and broken surface of the pavement.

The Businessman looked up at the crumbling brick facade above his head, the rusting metal window frames and cracked glass, the faded sign, hung only by three nails these days, on which he could make out only a trace of its former wording. T e Sea ull Li e 0898 00 6 9 offered a glimpse of better days in this unfamiliar part of the world, as well as news of last night's reserve game against Bury for only 48p per minute.

Without warning, a blue door swung open next to the Alb on C ub Shop. The screech of metal hinges that hadn't seen a drop of oil since 1989 echoed sharply down Newtown Road, disappearing off into the night behind Furniture Warehouse. 'Welcome', came a thin, reedy, unseen voice from inside. 'We've been expecting you'.

The Businessman flexed his fingers, releasing momentarily his tight grip on a shiny, black monogrammed briefcase with the letters WA embossed discreetly beneath the handle. Inside the briefcase: a drawstring velvet pouch containing the contents of the Businessman's small change jar. Before embarking on his journey that evening, he had carefully, silently, breathlessly, emptied the jar out on to his desk back at his remote estate in Lancashire, and, with an ever-heightening sense of anticipation, counted every last penny.

Fifty six pounds, and twenty five pence.

He'd sat back, triumphant. At last. It was done. All those years of relentless toil, and he was finally ready.

'Start the car', he'd said to the driver, with the satisfied smile of a man who knew he was about to unleash all manner of fury and loathing.

'Start the car. We're going to Hove'."

Brilliant Edna!! Or should We call you PD Edna now?! :) I still reckon an assassins bullet now would be nice, albeit shorten the book. But I'm happy to forgo my royalties if you are to prevent the tragedy about to unfold!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Wow - I wonder how many season tickets we sold each year. Had to be below 1,000. The only time in my adult life I didn't buy a season ticket was in the wilderness years at Gillingham. Went to about 1/3 of the home games - so, so, grim. The only non grim part was the gallows humour of the 1500 fans that attended. Whatever happens tomorrow it pales into insignificance compared to those horrid Gillingham years - I terms of results

Ditto. I went - I lived near Blackheath at the time so a mate drove down to all the games - but the idea of needing a season ticket was laughable.How things have changed.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'd been a 10 game a season supporter in the years before Priestfield. Living much nearer than anyone in Brighton I made an effort to get to most games and have been a regular ever since. It was a grim and often surreal experience. The OP picks up on a lot of my memories but I could add the St John's Ambulance pair and the cheer that greeted their athletic run to treat injuries which always seemed to be at the furthest point of the pitch from where they were based. The image in my head is always looking from the home end towards the empty terrace at the far end and an advertising hoarding that said 'Mr Ham Man'. Occasionally football would unexpectedly break out, I remember an evening League Cup game against Northampton that actually felt like a proper cup tie and where we could almost feel like normal fans. Mostly though we were dire, our leaden full backs made every opposing winger look like Jairzinho and Hilton was without question the worst footballer to ever play for us; Herman Munster in stripes.

As I head off today this thread has reminded me of navigating the streets of Strood and Rochester in a heatwave to get to the first league game at Priestfield vs Macclesfield. I may be wrong but I seem to remember the radio on the way being dominated by the opening of Pride Park and that seemed to me be news from a different planet.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I was one. I've been a ST holder at the Goldstone, Priestfield, Withdean and the Amex - wonder how many of us can say that? 600 of us? 700?
My only ST break was last year at Goldstone and first year at Gillingham - had a job that required Saturday working every 3-4 weeks (as now, but I can plan this one around games) so saw 2/3 of home games those seasons. Those were the days when a ST wasn't a massive saving over match day tickets. I missed the 4-4 so missed the best game there!

Main memories are Rod Thomas diving full length to save a goal in the last few minutes when we were already beaten. Our kit man refusing to give Gabbiadini the match ball after his hat-trick and starting a scuffle. Andy Arnott's dad offering someone out when Arnott was sent off for a ridiculous handball. Jump starting a broken down coach. And going with a broken leg.

Oh - and having to give the bus driver directions to the ground on the love bus or whatever it was called on Valentine's day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here