Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky faces paying extra £1.8bn for Premier League broadcast rights

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Sky could be forced to pay an extra £600m annually to retain the lion’s share of Premier League matches when the next rights auction launches this year, with Amazon emerging as a potential competitor for the biggest prize in UK sport broadcasting.

Google, Apple, Facebook and Netflix are other possible rivals for Britain’s most valuable sports rights, which are split between Sky and BT under the current three-year deal. The prospect of a heated auction involving deep-pocketed tech firms has led analysts to estimate that Sky might have to pay a premium of up to 45% on the near £4.2bn it paid last time. That means a further £1.8bn, or £600m annually, to keep Silicon Valley off the ball.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Great to see Sky facing serious competition.Can only mean more money

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
The cost has got too great for one company to bid.
I would expect 2 or more will come to an agreement to make a joint bid to share cost/coverage.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Amazon could blow BT and Sky out of the water if they wanted. Not sure any of the other tech giants like Google, Facebook and Apple have any strategic reason to bid.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
If Amazon or Google went anywhere near SKY's Football rights the Murdoch press would declare war on them and their tax affairs

And rightly expose their exploitation of the global tax system? Seems fair enough to me and I'm not even a Corbyn tree hugging leftie

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Can only mean more money to be paid out by service users.

More money to clubs. You are under no obligation to subscribe to Sky or whoever.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
More money to clubs. You are under no obligation to subscribe to Sky or whoever.
Of course I'm not. I don't subscribe to Sky Sports. But everyone who does will be required to foot the bill. Sky aren't going to pay it out of their shareholders' pockets you know.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Poor old Sky. Anyone else up for doing a whip round so Sky can pay these ridiculous broadcasting rights?

I think you'll find Sky subscribers are already doing that.

The EPL have seven domestic TV packages, Sky have five and BT two.

The next deal could result in the packages being split between more participants.

The one thing driving Sky is that they need football, the tech companies don't, as the UK is an irrelevance in their global footprint.

If you look at the size of the players, the US companies could easily blow our domestic players out of the market in the bidding, but what would be their motivation?

Apple is worth £625 billion
Amazon £357 billion
Google £490 billion
Netflix £57 billion
Sky £16 billion
BT £29 billion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
And where does that leave the home t v supporter? Does he have to subscribe to three or four t v providers in order to watch his team's games?

It is the fan who pays ......as usual.
I am still miffed that today's game is on BT and not Sky.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here